JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I really want to like my 550, but I just keep having problems with it. Maybe I am just too picky, as I have never had issues with my reloads before, 1 FTF ever, never a squib, never a double charge, etc., but I seem to have problem after problem getting my 550 to run how I want it to/think it should. Short rant over, now my issue.

Ultimately the problem is the shell plate is leaving a burr on the rim of the casing, just large enough to prevent the case from fitting a drop in case/cartridge gauge. Through trial and error, I have determined that the majority of the burr is created when pulling the case out of the sizing die. (Lee Carbide Die) Seating the primer also leaves a small burr, though this alone is not large enough to prevent the cartridge from fitting the chamber gauge.

My immediate though is that I had the Die adjusted poorly, in too deep, but after several adjustments and a few more garbage cases, this is not the issue. Next I switched dies to ensure that was not the issue. I followed by adjusting the tension on the shell plate both looser and tighter to see if it was pulling unevenly on the case rim. And I also did check to make sure that I was not an idiot and had the wrong shell plate installed.

To me, it simply appears that the fit of the shell plate is too lose, and that it is not grabbing enough of the rim when pulling the case free, and is rounding off the square corner of the case rim, which is keeping it from fitting the gauge. Is there any other explanation here? Shell plate does not appear overly worn, or warped.

This issue is present on about 50% of all my 9mm loads off the press, and does not seem to affect feeding or ejection, though it is obviously detrimental to case life, and maybe extractor wear.

Ideas?:(

I couldn't get my phone camera to focus on the burr on the rim, here is a pic of the complete cartridge not quite fitting the gauge.

IMG_2623.JPG

Weird? What caliber is it? 40? I have loaded many thousands of 9mm and 45 ACP
with no issues. I would suggest sending Dillon an E-mail. They have been very good
to me replacing worn out and broken parts.
I have had excellent service from Dillon. Always at no charge.

I would think it would be more of a problem with the die if the shell is coming out of it hard enough to damage the rim. What number shell plate are you using ? There is always a chance Dillon made a bad one, and if it is they will replace it. I would take the shell plate out and try each slot on a few different brand casings to check the fit.

Loading 9mm. Range brass, some fired by me, some not. Case head stamp does not make a difference. There are no bulged cases or anything that sticks in the sizing die abnormally hard. Number 5 shell plate, all 4 stations measure an even .360 with no significant wear.

I don't remember the brand but there is one that seems to have a narrower groove on the rim. When I get one that doesnt slide right in I toss it. If you are having different brands hang up I'd call Dillon, they always make it right.

I have maybe 10 of those per 100 pretty sure its the brass not the machine. however I set those aside and either case gage them with the barrel or I load them in a magazine and cycle them through the gun which has a very tight tolerance, and out of those maybe 1 out of 100 have in issue.

So my guess is, this is happening during priming. Without actually sitting down at your machine I couldn't tell for certain. Debugging should be relatively simple:

Insert one case, and run it through each station, taking the case out to inspect between stations.

I have had problems with loading 9mm on the 550, again mainly in the priming process, as some brass will have very tight pockets, and not a lot of rim to grab onto, sometimes ripping the rim off during priming. This is in part due to the uneven pressure created by primer seating.

I would say 10% of the rim damage is from priming, 90% from the sizing down stroke. While priming, however, I have experienced a couple times where the priming ram has pushed the case/rim partially through the shell plate, resulting in a case which is solidly jammed in the station and requires considerable force to pull free. And no, I am not crushing the primers in there, but the Tula primers I have been using require significantly more force than my preferred federals.

If the major of the issue is happening on the down stroke at the sizing station, I would suggest that the sizing die is off center causing the case to float out of position on the shell plate!!

If the major of the issue is happening on the down stroke at the sizing station, I would suggest that the sizing die is off center causing the case to float out of position on the shell plate!!

That's not a bad idea. I don't necessarily see how the die could get off center, but I will try changing tool heads and see if that changes anything.

I would say 10% of the rim damage is from priming, 90% from the sizing down stroke. While priming, however, I have experienced a couple times where the priming ram has pushed the case/rim partially through the shell plate, resulting in a case which is solidly jammed in the station and requires considerable force to pull free. And no, I am not crushing the primers in there, but the Tula primers I have been using require significantly more force than my preferred federals.

Tula primers are almost always oversized, often out of round, and seem to be even softer than federal, as a consequence they can be quite a bear to seat.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top