JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, here's an idea that I believe would help cure the controversy over the classifieds(in addition to adding a "NEW" icon to new ads posted in the classifieds.).

I think alot of the reason people dont look beyond pages 2 or 3 in the classifieds is because there are so many closed ads cluttering up the pages beyond. People have asked that the closed ads be removed before, and the argument to keep them has always been that the closed ads are a good resource to see what firearms are worth. I totally agree with that. It is great to be able to look at deals from the past to see what different guns were selling for.

BUT! It does REALLY clutter up the CURRENT ads, to see SO MANY closed ads mixed in with everything for sale.

SO! Can we open a new area in NWFA, that is an automatic destination for closed ads? So what would happen is, when someone closes an ad, rather than sitting in that thread forever, it is AUTOMATICALLY moved to another section specifically for ONLY closed ads.

Does this make sense? Not sure if Im explaining it well enough.

I think if we did that, PLUS added "NEW" icons to all new ads to the classifieds, we would not need to "BUMP" ads anymore! The list of pages would DRAMATICALLY reduce, making it SO MUCH easier to surf current items for sale.

Let me know what you all think!:s0155:

Well, not JUST a "NEW" icon, but ALSO moving closed ads to a different section that is specifically for reviewing gun values.

I bet we could set the ads to automatically move closed ads to a gun value reference thread.

I think both of these things would take away the need or desire to "BUMP" ads.

Another thing I don't understand is why people bump their AD with sold and closed. :huh:

I've done that before, but only because I saw other people doing it and thought I was suppose to. I havent for quite a while now.

Trlsmn- do you know if we'll see the "NEW" icons anytime soon? Also, what do you think about my other idea of moving closed ads?

I've done that before, but only because I saw other people doing it and thought I was suppose to. I havent for quite a while now.

Trlsmn- do you know if we'll see the "NEW" icons anytime soon? Also, what do you think about my other idea of moving closed ads?

I like the idea and I think it will likely be implemented when Joey gets time to work on it.

I'm kind of torn on the idea of moving the AD's. I like the idea but unless it could be automated it would be a lot of extra work for the Mods. I also have the thought in the back of my head that they go to the back anyway as they cannot be bumped and to manually make them go away sooner would require constant monitoring unless it was automated.

I just put both ideas on my vBulletin research list for later tonight. I'm an avid reader and it seems the only reading I've been doing these past few weeks is the vBulletin manual. :p

Yea, it would have to automated. Thats the only way to not over-burden the mods.

The only way to do it otherwise, would be if Joey asked a few of the senior members to do this job specifically, giving them some assistant mod title and enough site control to move ads on a regular basis.

I just think that trying to have current ads and old ads together is making things way more complicated than they need to be. If the classifieds ONLY had current items for sale, it would be way easier to cruise all the ads, whether they were on page 4 or page 1. I think this idea, with a "NEW" icon, would clean up the classifieds and nobody would be concerned about bumping their ads.

Yea, it would have to automated. Thats the only way to not over-burden the mods.

The only way to do it otherwise, would be if Joey asked a few of the senior members to do this job specifically, giving them some assistant mod title and enough site control to move ads on a regular basis.

Or, if neither of these ideas worked out, maybe we could give the power to move them to the members. Make a "MOVE THREAD" button in the thread tools tab that would send the ad to the appropriate archives section.

I dont know, there has to be a way to do this.

Or, if neither of these ideas worked out, maybe we could give the power to move them to the members. Make a "MOVE THREAD" button in the thread tools tab that would send the ad to the appropriate archives section.

I dont know, there has to be a way to do this.

I like the idea of giving the power to the members, but I had discussed this issue with Joey on another matter and giving selective user rights vs. admin. rights in sftw is tricky and could involve programming costs if the options is already not written into the code.

I know a little (just a little) about sftw development and it isn't even so much writing the code as it is who owns the code and even if they would do the development, how much would it cost and who would pay for it. I guarantee you, if the functionality isn't already in the code and other customers aren't clamoring for it, it could be pricey.

Well, it wouldnt be more money if Joey asked a few senior members to be "assistant mods", and give those individuals enough site control to regularly move closed ads, would it?

Well, it wouldnt be more money if Joey asked a few senior members to be "assistant mods", and give those individuals enough site control to regularly move closed ads, would it?

I would agree to some extent, but the more cooks in the pot, the messier things can get. Not saying I don't like the idea, I do. We just need to consider the potential downsides and try to figure how to address them before making a final decision. That's all I'm sayin'.

I like the forum just the way it is, and Ive said that many times before. I have no beef with the way things are now, and wouldnt ever have a beef considering it's free. My threads regarding changes to the classifieds are only to help Joey and the mods to try and figure it out.

Putting a picture of Obama in my thread and comparing this to him, is so far off the mark as to be borderline offensive.

I like the forum just the way it is, and Ive said that many times before. I have no beef with the way things are now, and wouldnt ever have a beef considering it's free. My threads regarding changes to the classifieds are only to help Joey and the mods to try and figure it out.

Putting a picture of Obama in my thread and comparing this to him, is so far off the mark as to be borderline offensive.

i was just joking around it was not meant to offend you but make light how some people are getting upset about the changes that are happening . I removed it

and i do think that this is a great idea i agree that closed adds do clutter i personally prefer to be able to delete but a trash can area for closed ads is a great compromise

i don't know about the new thing i think that may lead some to skip over old adds or cause some to close old ones just to repost the same item to get the new add scent.

Thanks billbo, I just didnt want to be misunderstood as being one of the folks who is unhappy with this site(plus I was afraid I was being compared to Obama....yuk!). I understand you were just poking fun, sorry if I responded too strongly.

I love this site and would never assume to complain about it, considering how much effort and hard work goes into it that I enjoy for free. But even if I was a paying member now, I still believe this site is fantastic just the way it is. When I am more secure financially I will definitely become a supporting member, and I love that I can still be a member and have that choice.

I know that Joey and the Mods have really been taking alot of flack in regards to the "bumping" issue. I want to be whatever help I can be to think of ideas that may still keep us within the rules, and somewhat appease the unhappy members. Thanks for your opinion on my ideas, I hope they may be something that can help the site out. -tree

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top