JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am adding a walking challenge to my exercise routine. Starting Monday I am going to increase my walking time by 1% each day, 5 days a week for 210 days. The 210 days doesn't count the 2 days a week breaks. Day 1 will be Monday Jan 10th, 2022 and the final day will be Friday Oct 28th, 2022. I will be starting with 15 minutes of walking on the first day and by the last day of the challenge I will be walking 2hrs a day.

If you are handy with spreadsheets you can use one to chart out the daily increase. If are not handy with spreadsheets (I'm not) then you could use a compounding financial calculator (see link below and screenshot for sample calculator link and inputs) to chart out the increase. If using a financial compounding calculator, just convert the dollar amount to minutes (ie $15.50 would be 15 minutes and 30 seconds). I am going to round up my target minutes to the next whole minute to save myself some math work.

To keep track of daily walking route/time, I will take my daily target minutes and divide in half, plug that number of minutes into my phone timer and walk until the timer goes off. Then I will turn around and retrace the route back home.

I realize not many working people will have the time to put nearly 2hrs into walking 5 days a week but you can break it up into to smaller segments throughout the day. For me I am not counting any walking that I would normally do anyways like walking on the job, etc.

This 1% increase idea was inspired by the Atomic Habits author James Clear. I am not sure if I will maintain the 2hr duration of walking beyond the 210 days but it will help to build and strengthen the habit of exercising. For those that have the time this is a great way to ease yourself into a exercise habit.

Screenshot (158).png

Edit: here are the charts the financial calculator produced for the first and last two weeks of my goal.

Screenshot_20220107-033659.png

Screenshot_20220107-033731.png

Last Edited:
Get a big dog, start with a Puppy and build up both your endurance together! My Newfie Pup, (and the adults) gets about 3 miles per day, with different paces daily, some days we walk fast, some we take it easy, we also change up where we walk, some days it's the park, some days it's along the river, and some days it's just around the neighborhood!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top