JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to get an idea of how many of you guys have CB radios in your vehicles, and how often you have them on. I have a Uniden PRO520XL in my truck and it's on every time the key is on. I run it on channel 9, unless I am trying to talk to somebody. I think it would be cool, to have a network of people, with the same mind set, that have CBs on at all times, or that plan to turn them on during bad times. It'd make communicating easier and If we all had the same channel on, it'd be easier. I just think it'd be a good plan, and a way to get in touch with people around you if things get bad.

Don't worry if something happens the common CB channels will be flooded with goobers all talking over top of each other with some bubblegum burning across the country with a 2000 watt linear amp and a power mic saying the stupidest crap you have ever heard.

I drive Dump truck and have to listen to channel 11 or 5 or 14 or sometimes 1 all the time.

I pretty much always have my CB on while i'm in the car... it's set to PA :)

A lot of people in my area are always on channel 24 having a good old time chatting it up, most of them are pretty friendly and are running a reasonable amount of power (meaning, they are probably at least close to 4W).

I have a CB in my truck and usually keep it on 9 or 19 as I'm running around. 99% of the time it's a ghost town on CB.

The real downside is range. If you're in Tigard and want to know what's happening in Portland (or even a few miles away in Tigard) you are out of luck unless someone can relay messages every mile or two.

It would take you about 8 vehicles to get a message from Tigard to Portland with clear line of sight and then you would be getting a message from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from a guy who got it from a guy.

Go Ham and use 2 Meter in your rigs. 100 mile range with access to civilian repeaters trumps it all.

I bought and installed a CB a few months ago primarily for the NOAA stations which seem to work well. For a couple of weeks I had the radio on lots but the guy who sounds like he's from Kentucky (not knocking Kentucky) walking over everybody on 5 channels up and down the dial make it less tolerable. I've heard a few reasonable conversations but in the end as you mention, having "like minded people" to assist each other seemed short of supply. People are even using the emergency channels for ranting. Having said all this if you pick a couple channels that you monitor I'd be happy to attempt radio checks and share local deals or whatever with you from time to time.

I vote Channel 13 for the original colonies fighting for Freedom. Or maybe 12 as New York is dead. As I look at the list of Original states maybe 7 is the right answer. :s0112:
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia

I would suggest channel 16 or channel 22, not for any philosophical reason, but rather these are 4 channels away from 19 (the center of the band) so you will avoid some of the cross talk and splatter from people running 2000W rigs on channel 19, however your radio will transmit more efficiently towards the center of the band (where your antenna and receiver are best tuned to perform) and there is a chance you will be heard further away, and your transmissions may carry farther as you are getting a better SWR.

Sooooo,where's the best CB shop at nowa days?
I have some friends that are starting a CB group up here. Mostly for important issues arising,not BS chatter. We have some info and could use any more y'all have

I, like a lot of others grew up with CB but unfortunately higher tech has almost made it obsolete but I like to think it still has it's place. I have my grandfathers base CB (Chrome case Travelier 23 channel with vernier tuning!) and my dads Johnson 'Whiteface' six channel crystal tuned mobile unit!

I would suggest channel 16 or channel 22, not for any philosophical reason, but rather these are 4 channels away from 19 (the center of the band) so you will avoid some of the cross talk and splatter from people running 2000W rigs on channel 19, however your radio will transmit more efficiently towards the center of the band (where your antenna and receiver are best tuned to perform) and there is a chance you will be heard further away, and your transmissions may carry farther as you are getting a better SWR.

Even though I'm pretty sure that's 3 channels away from 19 (Center) your logic is solid.

Those channels are going to be in the clearest (Yet out of the way of 2000 watt 19'ers) for nominally tuned radios.

So 22 main, and 16 backup?

Don't worry if something happens the common CB channels will be flooded with goobers all talking over top of each other with some bubblegum burning across the country with a 2000 watt linear amp and a power mic saying the stupidest crap you have ever heard.

I drive Dump truck and have to listen to channel 11 or 5 or 14 or sometimes 1 all the time.

Or you could just add whats called "funny channels". Its what we line drivers use to talk to one another in private. You will need a high end CB radio. I got the "funny channels installed in my Grant XL... Or buy a 10 meter radio like the Mirage 88 and have a CB knowledgeable radio guy install the CB frequencies for normal CB use...But talk on the 10 meter band for privacy.

Or you could just add whats called "funny channels". Its what we line drivers use to talk to one another in private. You will need a high end CB radio. I got the "funny channels installed in my Grant XL... Or buy a 10 meter radio like the Mirage 88 and have a CB knowledgeable radio guy install the CB frequencies for normal CB use...But talk on the 10 meter band for privacy.

If you're going to spend the kind of coin on a high power 10M radio, you may as well buy something like the Radioshack all-mode 10M radio, like the HTX-10: Radio Shack HTX-10 Product Reviews

The nice thing about these radios is they have FM built in, which while it doesn't travel as far, does a much better job of being understandable on the other end.

But there's the rub... once you're looking at a radio with a higher price-point, you may as well start looking at dedicated 2m 60+W radios, which start at about $180 new on sale at HRO, you can usually find a yaesu FT1800 for $100-120. This radio is going to talk a lot farther, with better audio quality than a CB.

The main advantages of CB are lack of license (not really sure that's a plus), cost, ability to talk to truckers and other people who use CB in the course of business. The cons to CB... poor voice quality, crowded band with lots of people running high power and stomping you, badly designed RF front-ends, channelized, no tuning, requirement for large antennas, or poor transmission characteristics and the list goes on. Once you're spending enough money to really get an edge on CB, you are above the price point at which you can get into some really solid amateur radio gear. This is why I say ham first, CB second. What I will say is CB is a good hook to get people used to talking on the radio, I know when I picked up a CB at a flea market it got me interested in radio again, and within 6 mos I was studying for my ham ticket, and 3 mos later I had my general.

Ham is the best SHTF and everyday solution(s), but eves-dropping on CB channels is a good way to know when 40,000 pounds of logs, truck and driver are coming down the hill toward you....:s0131:

I also monitor CB in case people call for help.

Even if we could come up with a frequency plan (such as GMRS privacy codes), keeping the specifics private is a good idea.

I'm installing my first CB next week and I vote for 22 and 16 if it means better performance. While on the subject I wonder if anyone knows of a shop near Camas that sells antennas and mounts? Preferably someone that knows their stuff. I'm putting this in our Expedition for camping and any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

EDIT: I ended up going to Radio Shack in Washougal. The guy there knew more than enough to get me up and running correctly and give me some do's and dont's so I'm off to a good start on this install. I had to order an antenna mount from him so I won't be able to finish it till next week though.

I run SSB and usually sit on LSB 38. As someone who used to drive and spend time in solitary confinment with windows (truck driving) the CB was a conversation in the days before cell phones were affordable to just chat on.

CB channels already (officially and unoffically) dedicated usually include:

6 power busters with blead over on "some" of the channels on either side
9 Emergency channel - although I don't know why. Most don't sit here as they are missing the conversation and most people who need or want help will go to where the conversations are making channel 9 almost pointless
11 used to be the neighborhood check in channel (like the marine channel 16) where people would connect and then move over a couple (usually up) to chat.
13 is often refered to as the RV channel
17 north-south trucker channel
19 most common trucker channel but mostly used on east-west routs
23 top of the band for the early 23 channel radios that seemed to run a little more power (5 watts) compared to the more later 40 channel units (4 watts)
34-40 is usually used by SSB radios but can be used by straight AMers as well. I would recomend staying off of 38 as this is the common "connect with others" channel (38 LSB)

I like SSB but the simplicity of a radio that can reach out a few short miles and is relativly cheap has is attractions and advantages.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews