JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If this thread bothers you, why are you even looking at it?

I think you misunderstood me. The tough part about online messages is that you can't hear the tone in which it's conveyed.

I am interested. Much more than the average person. HB commented, " I am getting tired of doing this. Anybody else want to do it?" I was sympathizing and trying to say that most people don't care and trying to find people willing to take the time to try to warn others will be tough.

I spent some time in Emergency Management. That was why I was so angry that FEMA got blamed for many of the mistakes during Katrina. While many mistakes were made, FEMA actually did a pretty good job and it was the State level government that boogered things up badly. Changes were made and, IMO, not for the better. But again, I noticed that most people didn't care. Even after a really good earthquake, people will vow to prepare but within weeks it's forgotten. I've seen some incredible scenarios about "the big one" here. I still keep a map of the fault lines in western Washington.

So I'm a bit jaded when it comes to people preparing for disasters and trying to be self sufficient. Too many people think that when disaster strikes, the Government or the Red Cross will be there within hours to take care of them. The reality is that it will be days to weeks before help starts to trickle in.

Here is a great website got us folks in WA and Oregon: https://www.pnsn.org/earthquakes/recent
They actually list underground explosions too, I think from natural gasses/magma gasses.

I do have some files I can dig up for Seattle specific faults. Seattle, specifically downtown will be trashed once the Juan de Fuca "Big One" happens. I remember a Geology professor telling me that last time it hit the whole bainbridge island was physically raised about 20 - 30 feet. You can see the old shore line if you hunt for it. The West Seattle bridge is a trap too, you dont want to be on that thing.
Also, close to the water we have to worry about liquifaction, a huge danger to downtown seattle with the high sand content in the soil.

But yea, those low lying areas will have some issues! Man, Im having a hard time finding my maps for Seattle faults, but basically there is a East/West one that is north of the West Seattle bridge, and south of the space needle, basically cutting right through downtown. Here is a cool map for you Seattleites, results from 36,000 bore hole studies in the Seattle area, super useful. Clay/Sand interfaces are the high landslide prone areas. I have a high detail file that I would have to email if anyone wanted better detail....

seattle map (1).jpg

I think you misunderstood me. The tough part about online messages is that you can't hear the tone in which it's conveyed.

I am interested. Much more than the average person. HB commented, " I am getting tired of doing this. Anybody else want to do it?" I was sympathizing and trying to say that most people don't care and trying to find people willing to take the time to try to warn others will be tough.

I spent some time in Emergency Management. That was why I was so angry that FEMA got blamed for many of the mistakes during Katrina. While many mistakes were made, FEMA actually did a pretty good job and it was the State level government that boogered things up badly. Changes were made and, IMO, not for the better. But again, I noticed that most people didn't care. Even after a really good earthquake, people will vow to prepare but within weeks it's forgotten. I've seen some incredible scenarios about "the big one" here. I still keep a map of the fault lines in western Washington.

So I'm a bit jaded when it comes to people preparing for disasters and trying to be self sufficient. Too many people think that when disaster strikes, the Government or the Red Cross will be there within hours to take care of them. The reality is that it will be days to weeks before help starts to trickle in.
Then I misunderstood you,
My apologies:oops:

When the Cascadia subduction zone rips everything west of I-5 in Washington State may be gone by wiped out by a tsunami.
Maybe up toward Seattle but not down here. Now the quake itself may cause tremendous damage but the subsidence of 50 miles deep of land along any coastline is unheard of (So far:s0092:)
Fukushima's quake was a 9 and the tsunami went only 6 miles inland and that was without any mountains like we have on our coast. Kelso Longview may face some flooding because of the tsunami's surge up the Columbia but, at least according to the experts, the tsunami won't turn south with the Columbia

The effects of the Cascadia subduction zone actually' subducting' will be immense, and felt much further than the locus. Remember that the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami in the Eastern Indian Ocean was detected by a small surge in the English Channel.

And that was 'just' water. No solid matter was involved.

The displacement of a couple of hundred billion tons of water will be felt around the entire planet.
You mean even if Commiefornia falls into the ocean they'll STILL be making trouble for us long afterward? :(

That's what I mean: Cascadia lights up San Andreas, California becomes New Atlantis, and the tsunamis spread from there, not to mention the aftershocks.

And then of course we'll STILL be stuck with SEA and PDX...

That one made me laugh! So would the Coast Range be a 300-600 mile wide Eastbound waterfall? Heck, Dry Falls wasn't even that big, and it drained the whole Great Missoula Flood AND it ran downhill!

No way a Tsunami would reach Longview. There is just too much flood plain area in the last 50 miles of the Columbia. Maybe if the river was running way high, it might back up a little, but a wave series coming that far inland? Nope, not 64 miles upriver.

When the Cascadia subduction zone rips everything west of I-5 in Washington State may be gone by wiped out by a tsunami.
Unfortunately the Cascadia Earthquake could also trigger the San Andreas fault.
When everything subsides and people return to their new abnormalcy, there will still be bad movies out of Ballywood (Hollywood relocated to Bakersfield) about the tragedies that tough Kalifornians endure.
I just want to see the reel footage of Tony Stark's house getting swallowed by the sea. Iron Man can't save you now, and Stan's dead.

That one made me laugh! So would the Coast Range be a 300-600 mile wide Eastbound waterfall? Heck, Dry Falls wasn't even that big, and it drained the whole Great Missoula Flood AND it ran downhill!

No way a Tsunami would reach Longview. There is just too much flood plain area in the last 50 miles of the Columbia. Maybe if the river was running way high, it might back up a little, but a wave series coming that far inland? Nope, not 64 miles upriver.
I think you are right.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads