JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After experiencing the Mt. St. Helens eruption(s), I wouldn't want to even TRY to plan for a Yellowstone ka-boom! We had several friends and a couple relatives that lost their homes here around the Castle Rock/Toutle area when "The Mountain" blew, and that was just from the mud flow that came down the Toutle. We thought we were all ready for that, as we had a month of build up warning us to get ready... but nope!
I remember it well, I personally saw the ash was landing as far west as the Black Hills. The sunsets were spectacular BTW.

Yeah if that sucker goes it is nearly unsurvivable for hundreds of miles. You would have to have a bunker and means to dig out. Very difficult to pull off.

We toured the length of the Missoula Flood plains over about a week, couple decades ago. Impressive story & good public education sites. I had never seen a mile-wide Grand Coulee Dam escapement water-layer used as a video screen before. My favorite areas were the Palouse, the scab lands around Moses Lake, and Wasilla Gap.

Glad you enjoyed it!!! Without the pioneering work of the truly amazing Harlen T Bretz and the US Army Air Force and the USGS, we'd likely still be scritching our collective heads figuring out how it all happened in the fust place. My Master's dissertation was based on a study of the Columbia Basin Glacial Floods, and I'm happy to say. and proud, that I got a First. The multiple episodes that collectively comprise the Ice Age/Cordillerian floods of the PNW have fascinated me for most of my life.

After experiencing the Mt. St. Helens eruption(s), I wouldn't want to even TRY to plan for a Yellowstone ka-boom! We had several friends and a couple relatives that lost their homes here around the Castle Rock/Toutle area when "The Mountain" blew, and that was just from the mud flow that came down the Toutle. We thought we were all ready for that, as we had a month of build up warning us to get ready... but nope!
Basically, Yellowstone means end of most life on this continent. When she pops, pretty much write-off everything east of the Rockies, and given that Huckleberry Ridge belched ash UPWIND to a couple hundred miles off the OR coast even the combo of first Rockies then Cascades won't screen much.

Basically, Yellowstone means end of most life on this continent. When she pops, pretty much write-off everything east of the Rockies, and given that Huckleberry Ridge belched ash UPWIND to a couple hundred miles off the OR coast even the combo of first Rockies then Cascades won't screen much.
I was a few miles out to sea when St. Helens let go. It was pretty light ash fall off Yaquina Bay, nothing like what fell to the east.

Last Edited:
Please to remember that a short period of time ago - geologically speaking - there was a truly catastrophic eruption in SW Oregon when Mount Mazama let go.

The resultant caldera collapse left a basin over six MILES across - I'm referring, of course, to Crater Lake, a place we know and love.*

1620046596870.png

When Mazama blew, the ash and detritus went as far up as Manitoba and over into Ontario. Those famous sandals found at Fort Rock were buried under a layer of Mazama ash.

Mount Mazama's blow-up was, at the minimum, six times BIGGER than Mt St Helen's.

* I'm the one wearing the hat.

Good news for WA: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...lerts-debut-in-washington-with-a-catch/?amp=1

Ive talked with the folks at the Pacific Northwest Seismic network about this around 5 years ago, and it looks to finally be getting rolled out. If memory serves me right, with a Juan de Fuca mega quake, Seattle area roughly has 30 seconds of warning.

It's thoughts like that that make me glad I live 5000 miles away. All WE have to live with is the threat of another Storegga Landslip off Norway - the last one, 8000 years ago, made UK into an island...

It's thoughts like that that make me glad I live 5000 miles away. All WE have to live with is the threat of another Storegga Landslip off Norway - the last one, 8000 years ago, made UK into an island...

You have to love Geology! Ill have to look that one up, never heard of it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top