JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know we all love those whats the best caliber questions, so here's another.

I am looking to get an additional precision rifle. I have one in .308 that work well and I enjoy shooting, but want something different. I am thinking maybe something that will extend beyond the range of the .308. At first I had considered maybe just going with a 6.5 Creedmore as those seem to be all the rage these days, but not sure I am getting much more over the .308 other than a flatter trajectory. I will be using it for fun, so won't be shooting matches with it and I will be reloading. I am thinking maybe a .338 Lapua, .338 Norma or .300 Norma, but I am hoping some of the long range guys on here can school me as shoot ARs mostly. Thanks in advance.

If you settle on a .338 Lapua, I saw a Ruger Precision in Monmouth the other day at 5150 Tactical. Sorry, I can't recall what they're asking for it. Nice looking rifle. I think it might be on consignment.

My brother went with a Christiansen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC for his ultimate long-range elk rifle. The accuracy is amazing. I really don't know anything about the round since the long range stuff isn't my thing, but he put a lot of thought into it and is super happy with the rifle and it's performance.

This is his group at 600 yards with factory ammo. Roughly half MOA at 600 yards is impressive to a short range guy like me.

FdQ_I8HfQRKmww3iMsNyPQ.jpeg

I always wanted a 30/378 aka .300 Kong after shooting one 30 years back at long distances in central ore. The glass this guy put on it far exceeded the cost of the gun, but did it shoot.
my .02!

My friend was ARMY intel. and was with some ARMY sniper team whatever (he doesn't go into detail) but he stands by his 6.5 PRC. I have no experience in long range and the farthest I've shot was 408 yards with his rifle. It was dialed in, easy to shoot, and it hit hard.
This guy had one hit after another at a distance of 1100 yards with his precision bolt action ($6k setup).... I was impressed. He knows his sh!t.

I wish, I wish........but here in Yookay it's just never going to happen, after the 1987 Hungerford Massacre. An entire element of legal shooting sports came to a halt when an Act of Parliament made them illegal overnight.

One person acts - we all lose out.

Same in 1996 after the Dunblane School Massacre - one known pervert used his legal firearms to murder 16 children aged 5 and 6 and their teacher, and all of us, except Northern Ireland, lost our cartridge-firing handguns.

In both instances the perps put themselves down, thus escaping justice.

I'm old fashioned I guess. Punching paper is one thing, big game hunting is another.
I consider the act of shooting at an Elk at 1,000 yds with a pipsqueak bullet at warp speed to be a selfish and un-sportsmanship proposition.
All the small bore guns are marginal at best, a .300 WM is a decent beginning.
For large game like Elk in open country I'll use a .375 H&H, for the close-in timber country, a .45-70.
Elmer Keith would roll over in his grave at the antics of some of todays "sportsman" hunters, with their fly-weight bullets.

I'm old fashioned I guess. Punching paper is one thing, big game hunting is another.
I consider the act of shooting at an Elk at 1,000 yds with a pipsqueak bullet at warp speed to be a selfish and un-sportsmanship proposition.
For large game like Elk in open country I'll use a .375 H&H, for the close-in timber country, a .45-70.
Elmer Keith would roll over in his grave at the antics of some of todays "sportsman" hunters, with their fly-weight bullets.
I agree about the current long-range hunting trend as being unethical. My brother shot a nice whitetail buck at 614 yards last season with his rifle. The rifle was dialed in and he is an excellent trigger-puller. He had a range finder and had everything dialed in when he spotted the buck across a canyon, standing broadside. No wind, buck was still. His rifle will do 3.5" groups at 600 yards.

He hit the deer. Nearly 3' to the left in the hindquarters. It died, but it wasn't pretty and it suffered.

Why so far off? Because canyons have things called thermal drafts that you can't see and are unpredictable. So even with a an amazing rifle and an amazing shooter, you can guarantee a clean kill on an animal due to atmospheric anomalies.

As to your point about using smaller calibers on elk, I disagree. My first elk was shot with a .257 Roberts using a 120 grain Nosler at 269 yards when I was 14. It dropped it immediately. Shot placement is key and you don't need a 200 grain bullet to kill an elk quickly and humanely.

Hear, Hear!!

Shooting an animal in the next county has never been thought of a sporting here in Yookay, but then the hunting ethos here is quite different to the humungous wide-open spaces you have in 'merca.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews