JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been on this site for a while now, and it seem that everyone is talking about bob and the supplies that they need.( Not a bad thing ) So here is my question. How many of you actually train with the supplies your stuffing into your bob's?
I'm not talking about building a fire in sunny 70 Degree weather. How many have tried to start a fire and build a shelter in weather like we had over the weekend here in the mid valley ? Lets face it we live in the NW, we will be wet and cold more than we will be warm and comfortable. All the coolest gear in the world won't save you if dont know how you or it works in the worst conditions.
This is an honest question, I am not trying to start a fight with anyone or rain on any parades.
Lets hearn how you guys are getting ready for your bug outs :s0155:

I do, I have practiced building a shelter with just a Leatherman and some 5/50 cord. I have spent plenty of time starting fires with a convex lense, a metal match , a bow and drill even a battery and some steel wool. the first thing ya learn around here is it may take a long time to get a fire that will self sustain with feul larger than your thumb.
I'm with you.. people need to practice fieldcraft as much as marksmanship!!:p

I just talked to a buddy about this today. I want to make sure my gear and "3 day pack" will hold up, what works good, what doesn't, is it too heavy, what's missing, etc. We're thinking of planning a few days coming up to hike out and build our own shelter, use our gear, etc. Figure it's best to train now and find out my pack is gonna fall apart, or I can't handle the weight for 10 miles without passing out, or that I don't need certain stuff, then wait till I need the stuff and it fails on me.

I have assessed that an quake would give me the biggest challenge to my Bob. Getting home from work is what I have designed it for. 9 mile hike with maybe the ability to camp overnight before figuring out how to cross the Willamette before making it home. In the next few weeks I will mock a SHTF and test my gear by walking home. I have two routes to choose from. Very excited to learn what I don't have in my bag that I will need and also toss the stuff that is just not needed.

Should be fun.

A great thing to add to the bag is a few trioxane bars for the event you cant find dry starter fuel.
MGR-826 - Trioxane Solid Fuel Tablets ThreeTablets per Box 1.25x1.75" Tablets in Foil Wrap

These along with a cheap ezbit stove or similar light weight stove will get you some heat and hot water. I carry one of these fishing to heat up water for coffee, cup a noodles or ? small and light.

MLT-9092 - German ESBIT Stove and Fuel Tablet Folds for Compact Fit In your Pocket or Pack

I also have one of these to use when there is dry fuel and I want to keep the wind under control.
Foldable Pocket Cooker at Sportsman's Guide

this one would work also.

15 U.S. Military Fire Gels With Stove, Military Surplus, Brand Not Specified at Sportsman's Guide

Excellent point. I, for one, have never built a fire in the windy rain. I have all kinds of water proof stuff, but not water proof kindling or wood :eek:). I'd better look into this. All kidding aside, I wonder how this is done?

Trioxane tablets, pitch, parrafin melted into used shotgun shells or egg cartons, cotton balls soaked in vaseline, steel wool and a 9 volt battery, flint and steel, magnesium, ect Yes there are lots of ways and means to start a fire and i have used or tried them all including more frowned upon methods such as motor oil, white gas, gas, diesel, lamp oil. My favorite quick and dirty trick is a good old fashioned road flare. Can get em at most any hardware store or auto supply store. I keep one or two in my hunting pack at all times. You still need to be able to locate some dry wood which is not easy to do in the winter in the NW. For back up and as a last resort i carry a small bag of tinder and a magnesium fire starter.

I've built a fire in a soaking wet, snowing, raining, sleeting, nasty North-Eastern Oregon area. Sometimes hunting trips go off-skew. And my hunting pack is pretty much my BOB with a few changes...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top