JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Doesn't Washington use NISC and Oregon goes through OSP?

Hey! I've got an idea. We could have one agency that does ALL the BGCs in the US! o_O

Doesn't Washington use NISC and Oregon goes through OSP?

Hey! I've got an idea. We could have one agency that does ALL the BGCs in the US! o_O
Or must have the OSP do the NICS check so the OSP can approve it also
WA just lets the shops do the NICS check.
And ,sure ,that's gunna happen........... never?

I'm going through the same thing right now I feel for ya.. I went into Cabela's last Monday and got a delay date out to a little over 8 weeks 3/16 which could be delayed longer if they can't resolve the issue. This is my first FFL purchase in Oregon and didn't really understand the process until being delayed and that the check is handled by OSP.

To be candid I know the delay has to be because of a arrest from 12 years ago in California that was dismissed. I'm sure the issue is they can't find the disposition. I have the official paperwork for the dismissal but can't get a hold of anyone to figure out who or where to send it to expedite the hold up. They probably have to snail mail California and even more bureaucracy to get what is needed but who is to know if they've even started.

Does anyone have any advice on who to contact or how to send OSP my documents proving dismissal? I've left a message with the OSP delay voicemail and we all know that's a crap shoot. I've tried calling the numbers OFF listed to no answer or any help. I'm totally lost within a broken/faulted bureaucratic system that gives little care for people's rights.

I went back to Cabela's today just to do some shopping and thought I'd check in with the people who handled background checks while I was there. I spoke to a couple of gentlemen working and explained my situation.

They had a lot of interesting things to say about it. I was curious what happens when that delay date comes up with no resolution yet and they told me it just gets further delayed. They mentioned they have one guy waiting at just over a year right now.. They basically said if you get a delay it just isn't a priority to OSP at all. Especially if it involves communicating with another state. Also their estimate delay date that they give you usually takes longer than quoted. They also went on to say it is I who will have to fix the situation because they know it is probably not going to happen on OSP's end at least not in any timely manner. They also said I could run into this over and over whenever I try to make a purchase. All of this was shocking but not surprising based off what I've read from other's experiences.

I am legally able to own a firearm and have documents proving so but I can't get a hold of anyone or talk to a live person to properly direct me to rectify the problem..

My frustration isn't with waiting or being patient and I understand that bureaucracy takes time. It's the principal. I'm allowed to legally purchase arms and cannot do so because its too much trouble for OSP to prove I am eligible to do so. My constitutional rights are being swept to the side. That to me is the most upsetting.

I'm sorry for all others who have to deal with this when they are within their rights to legally purchase. I don't want to deal with this ever again and will only work with a FFL who will release after 3 business days. If anyone could refer to some great local shops in the Portland area that do this it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for hearing me out and good shooting to you all.

Sorry to hear about that! BTW- there's proposed Oregon legislation in the works that will nix that 3-business day release if no word to deny/release is given and ONLY allow the transfer on OSP approval, so it'll only get even worse for folks with your type of situation.

:(

I'm going through the same thing right now I feel for ya.. I went into Cabela's last Monday and got a delay date out to a little over 8 weeks 3/16 which could be delayed longer if they can't resolve the issue. This is my first FFL purchase in Oregon and didn't really understand the process until being delayed and that the check is handled by OSP.

To be candid I know the delay has to be because of a arrest from 12 years ago in California that was dismissed. I'm sure the issue is they can't find the disposition. I have the official paperwork for the dismissal but can't get a hold of anyone to figure out who or where to send it to expedite the hold up. They probably have to snail mail California and even more bureaucracy to get what is needed but who is to know if they've even started.

Does anyone have any advice on who to contact or how to send OSP my documents proving dismissal? I've left a message with the OSP delay voicemail and we all know that's a crap shoot. I've tried calling the numbers OFF listed to no answer or any help. I'm totally lost within a broken/faulted bureaucratic system that gives little care for people's rights.

Wifey is in the same position as year are....An arrest over 30 years ago that was dismissed at the time without any sentence or punishment. It was suggested to us she go and get a copy of the case disposition and have it on hand to fax a copy to OSP. That is what she will do today! We are told that OSP will call you back, it just takes some time. We'll see about that I guess.

Sounds like fun doesn't it? Going downtown, finding the right big building, the right floor, the right door?......

I went back to Cabela's today just to do some shopping and thought I'd check in with the people who handled background checks while I was there. I spoke to a couple of gentlemen working and explained my situation.

They had a lot of interesting things to say about it. I was curious what happens when that delay date comes up with no resolution yet and they told me it just gets further delayed. They mentioned they have one guy waiting at just over a year right now.. They basically said if you get a delay it just isn't a priority to OSP at all. Especially if it involves communicating with another state. Also their estimate delay date that they give you usually takes longer than quoted. They also went on to say it is I who will have to fix the situation because they know it is probably not going to happen on OSP's end at least not in any timely manner. They also said I could run into this over and over whenever I try to make a purchase. All of this was shocking but not surprising based off what I've read from other's experiences.

I am legally able to own a firearm and have documents proving so but I can't get a hold of anyone or talk to a live person to properly direct me to rectify the problem..

My frustration isn't with waiting or being patient and I understand that bureaucracy takes time. It's the principal. I'm allowed to legally purchase arms and cannot do so because its too much trouble for OSP to prove I am eligible to do so. My constitutional rights are being swept to the side. That to me is the most upsetting.

I'm sorry for all others who have to deal with this when they are within their rights to legally purchase. I don't want to deal with this ever again and will only work with a FFL who will release after 3 business days. If anyone could refer to some great local shops in the Portland area that do this it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for hearing me out and good shooting to you all.

The most frustrating part is that the OSP and the people in Salem could care less about your rights. In fact, they are probably quite gleeful knowing that some people get delayed, they probably wish they could do it to everyone. Based on past reports of folks that have to deal with OSP on a variety of issues, they are understaffed, underfunded and just don't have the time or interest to chase these things down. It would probably be helpful if the state switched to the NICS system, but that's unlikely to happen.

Just out of curiosity, are you buying a handgun? Because if you're buying a rifle or shotgun, you can legally purchase it in Washington (I see you're in Portland, so an easy drive) and let the NICS background check be used instead. I've done it myself, no issues whatsoever. And if you already know you can clear the NICS check, then it will save you the hassle. Just something to think about. The other bonus about buying up north - no fee for the BGC - and that means OR loses another $10 BGC fee to add to their gun control coffers.

The most frustrating part is that the OSP and the people in Salem could care less about your rights.
Exactly what I was going to say.
Not only ALL you rights but now the can suspend your 2A rights? Just a bonus:s0155:
And if you don't think some of this is intentional ,you are mistaken (I doubt any of you are in that category)
WA and OR want to find ways to keep guns from as many folks as possible. I'm sure they are happy to do it 1 of ya at a time

My advice is hire an attorney. OSP is not likely to deal with you in any capacity to resolve the issue. An attorney can do things that you simply cant and it is not likely to cost a lot of money.

I think my firearms attorney is still licensed to practice in Oregon, if she is not she can recommend the right person. All she does is firearms law and she is very good at what she does.

http://www.alexkincaid.com/

Wifey is in the same position as year are....An arrest over 30 years ago that was dismissed at the time without any sentence or punishment. It was suggested to us she go and get a copy of the case disposition and have it on hand to fax a copy to OSP. That is what she will do today! We are told that OSP will call you back, it just takes some time. We'll see about that I guess.

Sounds like fun doesn't it? Going downtown, finding the right big building, the right floor, the right door?......
Did they give you a number or info on where to fax it? That's what I'm trying to find out. Hope that gets you guys cleared up!

The most frustrating part is that the OSP and the people in Salem could care less about your rights. In fact, they are probably quite gleeful knowing that some people get delayed, they probably wish they could do it to everyone. Based on past reports of folks that have to deal with OSP on a variety of issues, they are understaffed, underfunded and just don't have the time or interest to chase these things down. It would probably be helpful if the state switched to the NICS system, but that's unlikely to happen.

Just out of curiosity, are you buying a handgun? Because if you're buying a rifle or shotgun, you can legally purchase it in Washington (I see you're in Portland, so an easy drive) and let the NICS background check be used instead. I've done it myself, no issues whatsoever. And if you already know you can clear the NICS check, then it will save you the hassle. Just something to think about. The other bonus about buying up north - no fee for the BGC - and that means OR loses another $10 BGC fee to add to their gun control coffers.
It's a handgun purchase, but for any long gun purchase it most definitely is going to be happening in WA from here on. I don't want to give anymore money even if it is ten dollars to agency with such disregard.

I agree I think it's a mix of gun control and just a massive influx of sales to the point where OSP is just swamped. People are buying up guns because they are afraid they won't be able to and I can tell you some of us are already experiencing it. Its just wrong when responsible people try to do something responsibly, and are kept from being able to protect their home, themselves, and others.

My advice is hire an attorney. OSP is not likely to deal with you in any capacity to resolve the issue. An attorney can do things that you simply cant and it is not likely to cost a lot of money.

I think my firearms attorney is still licensed to practice in Oregon, if she is not she can recommend the right person. All she does is firearms law and she is very good at what she does.

http://www.alexkincaid.com/
Thanks Ironmonster greatly appreciated. I'm gonna try and ride this out a little longer. Honestly I barely have enough money to make this purchase as it is a splurge for my birthday let alone a attorney. I sure hope it doesn't come to needing one. I'm also going to look into getting it expunged and maybe that will help in the future. If I do need one I'll definitely be contacting Alex.

Again I'm sorry to hear about your situation man. Yours is one of the worst I've heard. I hope everything gets straightened out. I guess that's the best new form of gun control is if they can't outright deny you your rights they'll just try to indefinitely filibuster them.. Keep fighting the good fight for us all.

Did they give you a number or info on where to fax it? That's what I'm trying to find out. Hope that gets you guys cleared up!

I have an e-mail to the OSP is all. We figure, get the paper and THEN look to see if there's really is anywhere to send it that would do any good.

It was suggested to us she go and get a copy of the case disposition and have it on hand to fax a copy to OSP. That is what she will do today! We are told that OSP will call you back, it just takes some time. We'll see about that I guess.

Update: We went to the address given for records, only she got in because I had my knife, (I didn't realize from the address it is at the COURTHOUSE!) There's no record of that little faux pas from 1982. Waste of time there but the lady that helped Wifey was very nice, she says.

Now it's on to the OSP! We'll see if anyone there will respond. Here's the email I was given to the department at the OSP that don't answer their phones, and haven't returned OUR phone call that was placed on the 25th anyway. [email protected]

I'm thinking were just screwed as far as clearing anything up, or shortening the delay. It'll come through eventually. Now for "California Guy", dood, I'm afraid for what you may be looking at as far as delay! :(

Bastages!

I called the numbers listed on OFF's website and got almost instant help from OSP. They were a pleasure to deal with, took the paperwork I had in my files, reviewed/verified it and noted my account. I've purchased scads of firearms since and never an issue.

Another option RE: the three day rule is guy out towards Oregon City if I remember right. I don't recall how I got his info, may have been off Bud's Gun Shop website, but he had no issues what so ever releasing the gun after three days of no response.

Best of luck to you all .

What's weird is I was arrested way back in the 90's for assault, and menacing... about two months after the fact... I caught a guy red-handed trying to break into my house and I wound up breaking his back and fracturing his neck... it took the DA two months to decide to prosecute... must've been bored.

I was arraigned, had a court appearance and everything, and in the end the charges were dismissed (I still have the document showing that dismissal... LOL) I have never had an issue buying a firearm, and have had several background checks for security clearances to get into sensitive government areas (FBI, IRS, etc) with nary a problem.

o_O

I have an e-mail to the OSP is all. We figure, get the paper and THEN look to see if there's really is anywhere to send it that would do any good.

Update: We went to the address given for records, only she got in because I had my knife, (I didn't realize from the address it is at the COURTHOUSE!) There's no record of that little faux pas from 1982. Waste of time there but the lady that helped Wifey was very nice, she says.

Now it's on to the OSP! We'll see if anyone there will respond. Here's the email I was given to the department at the OSP that don't answer their phones, and haven't returned OUR phone call that was placed on the 25th anyway. [email protected]

I'm thinking were just screwed as far as clearing anything up, or shortening the delay. It'll come through eventually. Now for "California Guy", dood, I'm afraid for what you may be looking at as far as delay! :(

Bastages!
Aw man sorry to hear they didn't have it! I hope it comes to a resolve soon for you guys. I tried faxing my papers to the OSP id unit today I looked up their fax number and just sent it in with a cover letter explaining. Hopefully it ends up in the right hands. I'm also going to try to send them in email right now. Thanks very much for providing that info. Let us know any updates. Excited for your wife to get her new pistol and take it out. The victory will be twice as sweet in the end.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top