JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 282214 No blue tape and sometimes you end up with this :(

Save for the cooler bolt catch lever, that photo looks a lot like what I have :oops:

I picked up a set of inexpensive transfer punches at HF (as per @jbett98) on the way home. I'm feeling like I've got the flu coming on :(, so I'm going to take it easy tonight. My hope is that I'll give it a good go sometime this weekend. I will not fail! (At least I won't tell you if I do....;))

Last Edited:
I helped a member here build a plastic poly lower and it took at least 15 times to get the bolt catch to work properly.
Every time I drove out the roll pin and shaved off a little more plastic where the mechanism was binding up, I kept thinking that if it was an aluminum lower, something would go south on me.

Okay, still battling the flu, but I really wanted to try this out. I tried the smallest (3/32") transfer punch but ran into a problem right away when it didn't fit in the hole. Now, unless I'm wrong, the bolt catch lever uses a 3/32" roll pin, so in my mind, a 3/32" diameter punch should fit, right?? I put the pin on a micrometer and it measured just under 6/64", so it's right on, if not a bit smaller. I'm starting to wonder if the holes on this lower were not drilled to the proper diameter??

Since this punch was from a relatively inexpensive set, I decided I would make a mod to the punch. So, I chucked it in a drill and ran it between a folded piece of sandpaper. After a while, I managed to get it to just fit. Before I went on to the next step, I applied some blue tape to the receiver ;) Next I lubed the pin and started tapping away. I tapped and tapped, using a little more force to the blows each time. Nothing, no movement on the stuck pin, and I can't even get it to move far enough to get the bolt catch lever back out - so it appears to be stuck just barely inside the hole in the lever - just enough to keep it from being removed.

My guess is that I somehow got the pin to mushroom inside the hole. That may have complicated this a bit more than I had expected. I may be running out of options for what I can do on my end. I've had a couple of offers to assist from some very kind folks on the forum, I may just need to give that a go.

I always use a drop of oil when doing these kinds of pins. And make sure the taper part goes in first.

I did use oil, however the pin itself was not tapered. I've since found pre-tapered pins online, which I'll probably just use in the future. @Velzey mentioned he makes his own tapers on pins before he puts them in - sounds like a good practice to get into.

Does the bolt catch lever move at all?

Yes, the bolt catch lever moves freely, in fact, it feels like it's right on the edge of coming out. But yes, it pivots in place, just fine. I've even mounted the lower to an upper and it managed to lock the bolt in place and release it like normal.

Wouldn't that possible run the risk of damaging the finish?

Krylon is your friend!
th?id=OIP.M6c4f1f21f40f821c51007ded81d11f2eH0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300.jpg

I think I know what I did to change this from a nuisance to difficult - on one of my earlier attempts to remove the pin the other day, all I had that would fit was a long finish nail of approximately the right diameter - so I tried punching it out using that nail. But here is where I F'd up - I didn't think about what that point on the nail would do - it probably went right into the pin and mushroomed it inside the hole. I should have filed the point off the nail first. Dang, I wasn't thinking far enough ahead.

I'm sure this can still be corrected, just continuing to think it through. I guess I got lucky on my first build - the bolt catch pin went in nice and easy.

Last Edited:
Wouldn't that possible run the risk of damaging the finish?
And what good is the finish right now while you can't finish the build?o_O
Think ceracote if you are determined to keep the lower
In it to win it?
I think I know what I did to change this from a nuisance to difficult - on one of my earlier attempts to remove the pin the other day, all I had that would fit was a long finish nail of approximately the right diameter - so I tried punching it out using that nail. But here is where I F'd up - I didn't think about what that point on the nail would do - it probably went right into the pin and mushroomed it inside the hole. I should have filed the point off the nail first. Dang, I wasn't thinking far enough ahead.

I'm sure this can still be corrected, just continuing to think it through. I guess I got lucky on my first build - the bolt catch pin went in nice and easy.
I'm thinking you are at the 'drill it out' stage.How's that gunna happen? For me,small drills get broken all the time and they aren't long enough to reach that hole from either end
So find a longer rod of some kind and just keep beating on it?
I would try the heat.Get someone to heat it while you beat on it somehow.
Then off to the coating store

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads