JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fair warning, the comments section at KATU's site includes gems like this:

I am really not against gun ownership but am against their need in cities. Instead of giving guns to just sane people give it to people who are sane AND who have a genuine need for it. A guy living in the country side definitely needs one to protect himself and his family form criminals,(sic)
wildlife etc but why would a guy in living in a city need one.

:p

I did manage to post:

"Why would a guy living in the city need one."

Let's look at the most recent DOJ Bureau of Justice statistics, shall we?

"For 2005, Urban, suburban and rural:
Urban residents had the highest violent victimization rates, followed by suburban resident rates. Rural residents had the lowest rates."

Hmm, so why would someone living in a city want to be armed? Gee. Let me think. Boy, that's a stumper.

"In 2005, 24% of the incidents of violent crime, a weapon was present.

Offenders had or used a weapon in 48% of all robberies, compared with 22% of all aggravated assaults and 7% of all rapes/sexual assaults in 2005"

This indicates that if no guns -or any other weapons- existed at all, in 2005, 76% of all incidents of violent crime in the U.S. would have occured anyway.

So much for the get rid of guns and get rid of crime theory.

We don't know yet about the facts surrounding this case of the .380 that "went off" by itself. That's why we have courts and the presumption of innocence until the jury reaches a verdict."

I was present once when someone threw a handful of 45 ammo back in a storage bin after finishing shooting one day. One of the rounds landed just right, striking a primer, and bang it went off. Another time someone had some loose rounds rolling around in their backpack with batteries. I dont know what caused it, but he had one of the rounds go off.

I also saw a guy at the hospital that had shot himself with a Beretta. His story was that he had it in his back pocket when he leaned down to change a disk in his cd player. He said the gun fell out, landed on the hammer, discharged, and shot him. The round entered just behind his elbow and exited just below his armpit. The incident had taken place several days prior and the docs just let the wound weep for a few days. He was there to get the cotton wads in each end changed. He passed out when the started to move them from the pain. Really made me think twice about gun safety.

It is not uncommon to see in the news some idiot that was at some party and shot someone by accident showing off his new gun.

Landing on the hammer after a fall to the floor is plausible and considerably different than landing on a soft bed/mattress. This is why most guns have a half-cock notch, (as you probably know.)

I threw some rounds into the fire once and they cooked off, I don't see how that relates to this story though.

I hope we someday hear how this incident turns out for the defendant.

Good for you Doc in Uplace, it takes a lot of time and effort to stand up for gun rights and site statistics in an effort to educate people. I hope your efforts at least shine a different light on our second amendment rights and open up the 'publics' mind to issues regarding firearms. I'm always surprised by the people (like the one you responded to) who share their opinions on a topic they know relatively little about.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top