Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Another "Accidental" shooting thread

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by korntera, Jan 4, 2009.

1. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

2. Los

Los Hillsboro New Member

I'm curious as to the make and model of the gun.

3. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

wow... sad for the neighbor. Anyone else feel he should get a free shot on the guy that shot him?

4. korntera

korntera Oregon Member

All it said was that it was a .380 caliber but since we have so many "accidental shotings" seems like a lot of guns must have been manufactured wrong since none of my firearms or any I have ever came into contact with fired randomly without me pulling the trigger after the safety has been disengaged and a round was loaded into the chamber.

5. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

Could be a Ruger LCP that hadn't been sent in on the recall.

6. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

The LCPs did not have the accidental discharge recall, that was the SR9

7. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

What is the LCP recall for then?
    Their website I linked above reads..

"Ruger has recently received a small number of reports from the field indicating that LCP pistols can discharge when dropped onto a hard surface with a round in the chamber. We are firmly committed to safety and would like to retrofit all older LCP Pistols. The retrofit involves installation of an upgraded hammer mechanism at no charge to the customer."

It could well have been a negligent discharge that the guy is blaming on an accidental.

8. elcid11

elcid11 Beaverton New Member

No, the LCP does have that recall going on right now.

9. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

I stand corrected, I guess ruger has a habit of building new guns that go bang by themselves :D

10. GUN1PDX

GUN1PDX Portland Metro Member

Accidental discharge? This is scary. I am going to put kevlar on my walls again.

11. JumpWing

JumpWing NK WA Member

Nobody wants to admit to being criminally stupid. Thus, the gun "goes off" by itself.

12. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

another amazing weapon that discharges as it impacts the concrete hardness of a mattress. wow I wonder number is his sleeb number bed is....what a croc of pooey.
    I find it far more plausible that this was a forget the gun was loaded think I'll dry fire it thing or something along that nature. guns dont go bang while bouncing on a bed...at least mine never did.

13. Dutchy556

Dutchy556 Bend, OR Member

Accidently goes off when tossed on bed? Seems more likely to me that they negligently discharged the firearm and won't own up to it. "dry fire" on an "empty" chamber perhaps... The vast majority of guns wont fire when dropped, even on a hard surface, I don't see how throwing it on the bed set it off...

Goes over well in the media though, another one of those pesky unpredictable guns that could discharge by accident at any time...

14. PeakResources

PeakResources Portland (past) Colorado (now) Member

Yet another reason the media (and thus public and legislators) might think guns, and especially concealed carry, are dangerous and should be more tightly regulated.

Agree it is probably operator error.

15. lazyeye

lazyeye Corvallis, OR Member

The Oregonian reported it as a .38
    I wonder which report is right?
    Either way I'm curious as to the make/model and would agree that more likely the guy had a ND because he's an idiot than because he tossed his gun.

16. Los

Los Hillsboro New Member

What's odd is the manual warns of discharge if the gun is dropped. These manuals were shipped with new guns before the recall was put in place.

17. Sean

Sean Silverdale WA New Member

Throwing a loaded gun makes it negligent at best if not criminal. What was this guy thinking.

18. markw76

markw76 Portland/Moscow on the Willamette Member

You answered your own question. He wasn't. And he isn't any better off than if he'd admitted to checking the chamber by pulling the trigger.

19. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

They might have been playing a hybrid game, substituting the .380 for horse shoes?

"It just went off"! Amazing, I carry every day and have 4 loaded weapons circulating through here and never, not once, have any of them "gone off."

In fact, we've unloaded then cocked all of them, and banged on them with a auto body rubber mallet, and all properly retained their hammer/striker. The S&W 638, Colt M1991A1, Glock G21 and Colt 6920 all "failed" to "go off".

I have to stop before I "go off". :(

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  20. markw76

markw76 Portland/Moscow on the Willamette Member

Right up there with "It went off while I was cleaning it!". :noway:

Donkey Biscuits. :mad: