JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im wondering if it is just me that is annoyed by this, I will be scrolling down the list of classifieds and I find a post thats worth looking at. and the location that the individual has for their profile says something like "pacific northwest" or "central oregon". I find this very counter productive. I mean I understand privacy and a need for security but please. geographical location is kind of important when buying, selling, or trading firearms. It would be nice if "location" was changed to "city".. but that is just my opinion..

I choose to be a bit anonymous in my profile.
However I state where I will FTF in all my classifieds.
I agree, it's a bit silly when you want it and the guy is 100+ miles away.
But remember, we are on the internet, where median IQ's drops to an all time low!

true but your not giving much away by saying what city you are in or close to, and nubus, at least with your location there is a pretty good indication of where you could meet up.. regardless, when you make a deal with someone the first thing that is generally asked is "where are you located" which could completly be avoided.

If you live in/around a really small town, you could be sacrificing some anonymity by providing your location. If someone said they lived in Wagontire, it would be a lot easier to figure out who it was than if someone claimed Seattle as their residence.

if your posting an ad then you would be telling someone where your located anyway drew. besides it is only my opinion, and you are free to put whatever you like as your location, I am just stating the fact that it is counter productive and annoying when people are vague about a geographical location. and its not like your giving your adress as your location...

I live in a fairly small town. I dont care for every person perusing my add to be able to locate me with 5 keystrokes.
I agree that if someone is interested in your item that you should be specific about what area you are willing to meet for FTF.
But it seems perfectly reasonable to me that someone not want to give out the specific town they live in. It only takes one pm, or maybe two if the selling party is not being cooperative. But it is always the buyers perogative to not proceed if the seller is not responding ins a satisfactory way.

We have spoken in the mod section about requiring persons posting Ads to at minimum list their state in their member profile, never really made it much past discussing it though.

I personally weigh in on the side of listing a location at least within 50 miles of the location of the item in the Ad. I understand some people not being comfortable giving out an exact location out of a want for privacy but if an item is for sale a person is going to need that info and will ask for that info when considering a purchase.

You're never really anonymous on the web anyway, folks. If Big Sister wants you then they can easily find you

Exactly.

The last guy that discussed this here with me I showed him in PM with just his screen name and no private info I was able to find his name, address, phone number, his place of employment, eBay account name, where he went to school and one of his other hobbies outside of firearms all with just a screen name, Google and 5 mins.

Exactly.

The last guy that discussed this here with me I showed him in PM with just his screen name and no private info I was able to find his name, address, phone number, his place of employment, eBay account name, where he went to school and one of his other hobbies outside of firearms all with just a screen name, Google and 5 mins.

Yep. The best policy is to keep it 100% legal and have good home security because Big Sister is not the only one that can find all that out..

BTW the best screen names for privacy are the most common words that will bring billions of hits on Google, your screen name for instance would bring a huge number of hits as it's generic where as mine is not common so it would be very narrow in hits, there are other tricks but I won't let all my tricks out of the bag just yet. :s0131:

BTW the best screen names for privacy are the most common words that will bring billions of hits on Google, your screen name for instance would bring a huge number of hits as it's generic where as mine is not common so it would be very narrow in hits, there are other tricks but I won't let all my tricks out of the bag just yet. :s0131:

Yep, many years of computer and internet experience helps in navigating the crocodile and shark infested waters of the internet

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top