JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello fellow NWFA preppers...

I spent the last few months perfecting the design of my little cook stoves...

Weighing just 8 oz. this stove will boil a quart of water and keep it simmering for up to 30 minutes with one 2 oz. load of biomass (twigs, sticks, pellets, wood scrap, etc.)

It folds into a compact 3" x 6" for transport and storage.

Made of stainless steel for a lifetime of use.

Wet wood? no problem...just find a little dry wood (under fallen trees ,etc) and the stove will dry the rest of the fuel by placing the fuel under the stove during combustion.

Please visit www.PrepPac.net for more information.

Thanks,

Wheeler44

Oh, that's sweet looking. Well done ole' bean!

In your opinion what is the preferred fuel that you would take with you on a 3 or 4 day outing?

-d

Oh, that's sweet looking. Well done ole' bean!
Thank you..

In your opinion what is the preferred fuel that you would take with you on a 3 or 4 day outing?
I take a small ziplock bag with wood pellets (either animal bedding or pellet stove pellets) and only use them when I can't find dry wood...It really uses small twigs (pencil sized diameter and smaller) well.. A little pitch (from a tree) for starter and you're 10 minutes to a warm belly or purified water (as much as boiling alone can purify anyway)

Thanks for looking and please feel free to ask anymore questions.

Alrighty...this looks like a neat little stove for overnight kayak trips. A few quick questions.

1.) Regarding the heat shield, presumably it wraps around the stove for storage?

2.) On the home page you show a little carry pouch. Is this included; if not, can it be ordered from you?

That's about it. Thanks Sir.

Keith

Alrighty...this looks like a neat little stove for overnight kayak trips. A few quick questions.
Small, compact and ultralight weight..Perfect for kayaking..
1.) Regarding the heat shield, presumably it wraps around the stove for storage?
On the base model the heat shield actually fits inside the combustion chamber for storage/transport..The legs rotate inward and the pot support holds the shield securely inside.
2.) On the home page you show a little carry pouch. Is this included; if not, can it be ordered from you?
The pouch is a magazine bag for the FN FAL (L1A1) from British pattern 1958 web gear..available at Andy and Bax for about $5.00.

We are working on a similar, lighter weight bag with "modern" attachment points.
That's about it. Thanks Sir.
Thanks for the interest...
***EDIT TO ADD***
Thanks every body ..I consolidated the current questions from below and added them here.

Hey W44, in the picture on the main page there's a few other goodies aside from the carry pouch... looks like a canister of some sort sitting on top of the stove base and a few things to the side. What all comes with the stove?

Also, do you have an eta on the carry bag?

Decker..We are just receiving canisters and pots for final evaluation.The stove works well with just about any camping type pot though..
Please check back. We will be offering complete "kits" including carry bags..They should be available this week.

Looks pretty neat!

How do you keep the combustion residue/char out of the rest of the unit and your pack during transport after use?
HN.. It stows into a light 3"x6" drawstring bag ..But it burns completely to ash residue that is easily "knocked out" before stowing .

Is there a picture of the lighter v.75?
jimwsea..I'll add pics of the v.75 this evening or in the AM

There was an interesting article in the New Yorker last year about the competition to build super-efficient, non-polluting home stoves for third world countries. Of course, same stoves would also be ideal for folks with rural properties who want to live off grid, consuming as little fuel as possible without making much smoke.

The full article is print only but there are some pointers at <broken link removed>
The research facility mentioned in the article "Aprovecho" is where I went and had my stove tested..I will have full test results soon....Dean Still and the rest of the staff there really know a lot about stoves and design and build some neat stoves and the equipment to test them.
The Nomad stove rated excellent in all categories of testing...Producing 1kw of "fire power" using only 60g. to boil and simmer...

Here is a video of the Biolite stove that drives an electric fan from the fire to supercharge the heat. You can even use it to charge electronic devices via USB. It's not commercially available yet.
That's a great concept..The Nomad is much simpler, producing similar results with no moving parts in much more compact and lightweight package. Nomad won't charge batteries, but it is available for $39.95 +s&h..

Great looking stove and just what I had been looking for. I am unable to complete a purchase on your website however. Email sent.
And repied to.. all issues resolved ..Thank you

W44

Hey W44, in the picture on the main page there's a few other goodies aside from the carry pouch... looks like a canister of some sort sitting on top of the stove base and a few things to the side. What all comes with the stove?

Also, do you have an eta on the carry bag?

-d

Cool stove.

There was an interesting article in the New Yorker last year about the competition to build super-efficient, non-polluting home stoves for third world countries. Of course, same stoves would also be ideal for folks with rural properties who want to live off grid, consuming as little fuel as possible without making much smoke.

The full article is print only but there are some pointers at http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2009/12/the-perfect-stove.html

Here is a video of the Biolite stove that drives an electric fan from the fire to supercharge the heat. You can even use it to charge electronic devices via USB. It's not commercially available yet.

<broken link removed>

Trying to gauge size...what's the "largest" pot that you put on there and have it be stable and/or boil the water?

Looks like an ingenious design, nicely down...and the cost is spot on too!

Trying to gauge size...
The combustion chamber is about 2-3/4" in diameter and about 3-3/4" tall. The wind screen is 4" dia.x4" tall..
shown with "scout" type mess kit.
what's the "largest" pot that you put on there and have it be stable and/or boil the water?
The v1.0 is a sturdy little stove..I have boiled 2.5 liters in a one gallon pail..That requires pretty constant tending of the fire though..

One liter of water in a 2 liter pot is about the largest on one handful of fuel..

Looks like an ingenious design, nicely down...and the cost is spot on too!
Thank you..I enjoyed designing it..almost as much as I enjoy cooking with it.

Thank you..

I take a small ziplock bag with wood pellets (either animal bedding or pellet stove pellets) and only use them when I can't find dry wood...It really uses small twigs (pencil sized diameter and smaller) well.. A little pitch (from a tree) for starter and you're 10 minutes to a warm belly or purified water (as much as boiling alone can purify anyway)

Thanks for looking and please feel free to ask anymore questions.
I am thinking of this for back up stove after the propane runs out. My question is how much pellets fit in the bottom and how much do they weigh? From what it looked like about a cup or so? Burn time for the pellets varies im sure but what is the average? The reason I am asking this, is I can go buy a 60 pound bag of pellets and I am wondering how many single loads your stove will take per 60 pound bag over a long period of time.

Looked at the stove on sat and build quality looks good. :)

Thanks for any info you can supply on this. :s0155:

My question is how much pellets fit in the bottom and how much do they weigh?
The stove holds about 2 oz. of fuel (one handful)
Burn time for the pellets varies im sure but what is the average?
2 oz of fuel will gasify (burn with a dancing flame) for about 15 minutes. It will then simmer on the coals for up to another 1/2 hour.
The reason I am asking this, is I can go buy a 60 pound bag of pellets and I am wondering how many single loads your stove will take per 60 pound bag over a long period of time.
By my reckoning 60Lbs. = 480 loads of fuel. I have calculated cost of pellets (locally $5.00 per 40Lb.) at about $00.018 (about .02 cents) per boil/simmer cycle..

Looked at the stove on sat and build quality looks good.
Thanks..

Thanks for any info you can supply on this.
You are welcome..And thank you for the inquiry.

W44

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads