JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up four stripped lowers. One or two for pistol builds, the rest to put away.
Uppers were OOS, so I'll buy online. Should I buy with, or without FA?

Last Edited:
Probably depends on whatever you want. FA could be good in a ride hard put away wet workhorse or good for a hunting rifle that would allow you to charge it quieter, but for the average guy that plinks once a month, it'll never be used. Also saves a couple ounces if you're trying to go light.

I picked up four stripped lowers. One or two for pistol builds, the rest to put away.
Uppers were OOS, so I'll buy online. Should I buy with, or without FA?

My belief is "better to have it when needed that to need it & not have it.... of course my AR weighs in at 21.7 pounds!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:You've seen it on the internet with a dozen or more add-ons on the quad rail.... lol:p

I own a whole pile of AR's, have been shooting them for 25 years. I can count the number of times I have used the forward assist on one hand.

Still I want one on my rifle.

My belief is "better to have it when needed that to need it & not have it.... of course my AR weighs in at 21.7 pounds!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:You've seen it on the internet with a dozen or more add-ons on the quad rail.... lol:p

I own a whole pile of AR's, have been shooting them for 25 years. I can count the number of times I have used the forward assist on one hand.

Still I want one on my rifle.

I've never used one outside function checks or probably curiosity once. Still want one though.

Whut them said...

For the forward assist, does anyone here recall the term SPORTS? That's my only reasoning.

1. Slaps gently upward on the magazine to ensure it is fully seated, and the magazine follower is not jammed.
  2. Pulls the charging handle fully to the rear.
  3. Observes for the ejection of a live round or expended cartridge. (If the weapon fails to eject a cartridge, perform remedial action.)
  4. Releases the charging handle (do not ride it forward).
  5. Taps the forward assist assembly to ensure bolt closure.
  6. Squeezes the trigger and tries to fire the rifle.

This comes from heavy (no ability to clean) use or misfire
I'll get the FA upper.

Last Edited:
I have one or two ARs as well and even though I have only needed it once or twice during two day class (dirty conditions a lot of shooting and no cleaning) I would still get the forward assist uppers as they are just a few bucks more than with out.

If you do a weapons/round check it is hard to make sure it is in battery without one but not all folks train or teach that drill.

and yes I do remember S.P.O.R.T.S

I remember having to apply S.P.O.R.T.S numerous times on the old worn out M-16s back in the day! On mine, now, not yet. As said, better to have than not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top