Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

And the wait begins

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by da3bous, Jul 7, 2013.

1. da3bous

da3bous Portland, OR Member

I will most like forget i submitted for the tax stamps and itll be a pleasant surprise when it finally happens. But sent the forms to the ATF June 27th, checks cashed July 3rd....Ill call soon to see if they have gone pending and whom my examiner is. But looks like typical wait time is 7 months plus lately.

2. Misternt

Misternt Salem Area Active Member

Called on forms sent beginning of March. Went pending end of April. Was told when I called that it typically is taking 9 months after pending. Have read elsewhere this is a long estimate.

3. del_and_bones

del_and_bones Anchorage, AK Physics Pirate

I don't think they'll be pending very soon. I sent my most recent forms at the end of March, check cashed beginning of April, and they went pending the beginning of June. It seems that 2 months for check cashed to pending is the norm, minimum is around 6 weeks. NFAtracker is a handy tool to gauge wait times.

4. broncman

broncman E. of Portland yet to close! Quality Control!

Sent mine in on January 17th, Check cashed on January 23rd, Pending on February 22nd and still waiting for it to be approved. :)

5. da3bous

da3bous Portland, OR Member

WOW.....

Who here did a Trust or did you apply as an individual?

How many did you all submit at one go?

First tax stamp or not?

Im wondering what actually goes into these background checks and why it takes so long (aside from the obvious of only so many examiners and too many applications)

6. broncman

broncman E. of Portland yet to close! Quality Control!

Not my first but been 10+ years since my last and individual not trust.

7. Misternt

Misternt Salem Area Active Member

mattdomes and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

No way could I submit and forget. I've got 3 stamps in the works and I think about them every day.

9. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

My last one took 5 months. Got the stamp in May and after all that wait I've not had a chance to try my can out! Crap I hate work!:(

10. Chunky Milk

Chunky Milk Springtucky Member

i sent in some SBR forms on the day after xmas, check cashed on the 9th of jan, pending 29 of jan..... still waiting.....

the NFA wait times until obama were less than 3 months........ surely not coincidence. supposedly they doubled the number of examiners and those examiners should be processing forms by the end of july, but that info was current as of SHOT Show 2013, im not holding my breath. either way the wait times right now are criminally long, too bad my representative (defazio) does not represent me, or i would be writing him about it.

11. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

My first stamp took 6.5 months and came back in April 2013. Just got back my 2nd one yesterday (August 2013) and it took 7.5 months. So I had two pending at once for several months.

It's absolutely ludicrous that when the first one was ready and some drone was actually working up a little spit to lick a stamp, that they couldn't do a quick check, by name (which I did did not change) and lick two stamps, in April, then mail them on the same freaking day.

12. Chunky Milk

when did you go pending??? which examiner signed???

13. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

The examiners are assigned to a geographical area. I believe it is Sandra Snook who does our area, she's the one who did mine.

14. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Papers and check for two suppressors go in the mail tomorrow. Whats the best way to mail them. First class?

15. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Same employee's name on both forms. I'm sure there's some explanation for the unnecessary delay. But I'm not buying it because it was avoidable. App #2 had been pending for months already when app #1 was stamped and mailed. But app #2 had to sit for additional months.

I've worked around some of the most sluggish bureaucracies on the planet, and I say there's no reason that two apps in the same name can't end up stapled together over the course of half a year. Slow and inefficient.

16. BIG_GUNNUT

BIG_GUNNUT North Central Oregon Active Member

I send mine return receipt requested. That way you know they got it.

17. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I've sent my priority mail which comes with delivery confirmation. Don't know if it is the best way, but it is the way I've done it.

18. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Thanks for the info.

I ended up sending it 1st class and added certified mail. Cost all of $4.62.
    That's a drop in the ol' bucket compared to the cost of two Silencerco suppressors, two tax stamps and having Tornado Technologies thread three barrels.

I was a happy and contented man, until I started reading Burt Gummer's posts on his suppressors, and his wish list which included a HK45 Tactical mated to an Osprey suppressor for ultimate zombie protection.

Thank God my wife works two jobs.

19. j4545

j4545 WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I always send them certified just for giggles. I figure what's a few extra bucks in the whole grand scheme of things.

20. Chunky Milk

with the new Eforms now online (and the fact that im using a trust) i dont think im going to bother mailing them in ever again. what makes the Eforms so enticing is that they skip all the "data entry" phase which is currently taking about 2 months, so they go to a virtually instant "Pending" status