JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finally, after many years I have started to build my first AR-15!
Of course I had to wait for the lovely "shortage" of parts, but hey, that just adds to the fun, right? (not really :( )

Anyways - picked up a RRA LPK from Dan Dee Sales... on the way home from work on Friday I stopped by the GunZone in Clackamas and he had a stripped RRA lower. So I bought that.

I already have some AR mags... now I just need a stock and an upper. The stock is pretty easy for me to pick (6-position), but the uppers get complex. A- they are hard to find right now B- there are so many choices!

I know I want 16" with a flat-top style. 5.56 so I can shoot both .223 and 5.56.

I am looking at the list of uppers from RRA -- a lot of them look EXACTLY the same, but they have different names... not sure how one is different from the other.

At first I wanted to buy a ready-made AR... still might someday... but I kinda like this buying a bit here, a bit there... buying what I want.... it is also dangerous --- once you get full control over what bits you want, you can actually go overboard and buy a lot :cool:

IMO you should try and get a Chromed Lined barrel also referred to in short-hand as a CL barrel. The rifling twist rate can vary from 1:10, 1:9, and 1:7... the 1:9 twist rate is a good compromise for the 55gr and 65gr ammo... 1:10 is good for 55gr and 1:7 was developed for the 65gr (SS109) ammo.

Have fun with the build, I just recently finished an M4geryA3 and it took me a little over six months to get all the parts due to the shortage of uppers and such.

Here's mine, and YES it is rewarding!!

100_1190.jpg

CL is a good choice for all around use, much easier to clean, I own an with a non CL bbl that I bought new in 1985 and the bbl shows no sign of pitting. I would say if you want a collapsiable stock, the magpul ctr or Vltor emod are very good choices. The ctr locks up the tightest of all of them IMHO. We can find uppers(stripped) and barrels for a fair price in town. Complete uppers are still kinda high. Good luck with your build, but you have just entered a bottomless money pit...

Okay... time to buy an upper and confusion has set in... For now, to keep the options small, I am going to go with a RRA upper.... I have a RRA stock, lower, and LPK.... so might as well top it off with a RRA upper.

So I look at RRA's site and I look at <broken link removed> and I can't really tell the difference between all the uppers...

They all say chrome-moly, 1x9 twist, 5.56, etc... the differences are tiny.... A2 handle on one, removable handle on another...

Suggestions?

I'd like to use iron sights if at all possible.... with the ability to add optics later on. It looks like most of them have front iron sights, which mean I would have to add rear iron sights. (rear iron sights are $$$ for what they are IMHO)

You can always pick up a used carry handle sight and chop the front of it to look like a LMT.

Look into a 1 in 7 twist as it will give you the option of shooting 75 and 77 grain bullets as well as the lighter ones.

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet. I was shocked because at the time, nobody had anything in and I had been on Del-tons waiting list for 2 months and they were still only processing orders from January. I ordered this one and it was on the door step 3 days later, you're on the other side of the river from me so you'd even save tax.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=378

I just bought a removable carry handle here on the site for a good price so I'll use that for a sight until I can decide/save/buy an optic.

Good luck

You can always pick up a used carry handle sight and chop the front of it to look like a LMT.

Look into a 1 in 7 twist as it will give you the option of shooting 75 and 77 grain bullets as well as the lighter ones.

Hmm, RRA doesn't have any 1 in 7... but I see this upper online and it looks good to me.... <broken link removed>

I personally prefer a 1/8 or 1/9 stainless barrel. The ones offered are likely more precisely made. The Wylde chamber is also a plus- my AR with a Wylde chamber feeds everything. As others have mentioned, flat-tops and a chrome lined, 1/8 or 1/9 barrel are a great starting point. Some list a bolt while others list a carrier group. There are some differences in cost that you need to factor into your build if you dont get a complete bolt carrier group (bcg). AS for sights, there are plenty of options. If you have good eyesight and only wan to shoot irons look for a National Match rear sight and get a match front sight post-they'll be a bit more expensive but they are worth the accuracy improvement.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top