JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got home yesterday from working in Puerto Rico last week and was greeted by this news.

Very little official information has been released but it's a pretty small town so word (accurate or not) travels fast. According to all the chatter my daughter picked up at work, this was less "argument" than it was armed home invasion. Perps shot homeowner, homeowner's daughter shot perp. Both perps arrested. All unsubstantiated at this point. My gut tells me it was more targetted than random. The house is a couple miles down the road from us.

My wife has previously had no interest in guns and I know her well enough to not push the issue. Over the last few years she's had enough exposure through myself and my daughter (who is probably a better shot than me with a pistol) that she's perfectly comfortable having them around though. Last night she told me about the shooting down the road and said, "You need to teach me to shoot."

I plan to find a secluded spot for the 3 of us to go out with no distractions. If all goes well I'll probably be looking for a women's class to send them both through. Ideally I'd hoped she learn to shoot because she wanted to, like my daughter did, but I'll take whatever motivator comes along.

Just want them to feel a little safer when I'm working out of town. I explained that I didn't think it was a random crime and took the fire extinguisher approach. Probably won't ever need it but you should still know where it is and how to use it.
The house is pretty secure and there's 80 pounds of pitbull inside so it's not something I lose sleep over. Still, I'll take the opportunity to get her trained. It's easier if it's her idea.

813C15E4-EFFD-46F2-9DB5-4DB63ACD2A53.jpeg

When the wife and I bought a ranch in E. WA. I bought her a gun and taught her to shoot then sent her to Firearms Academy of Seattle for some formal training as I still worked and stayed on the west side during the week. She's taken several classes since then and has her own personal gun safe!

When the wife and I bought a ranch in E. WA. I bought her a gun and taught her to shoot then sent her to Firearms Academy of Seattle for some formal training as I still worked and stayed on the west side during the week. She's taken several classes since then and has her own personal gun safe!
Her own personal gun safe??? Hmmm :eek: Wonder what she's got stashed in there where you can't get to it?:D

I plan to find a secluded spot for the 3 of us to go out with no distractions. If all goes well I'll probably be looking for a women's class to send them both through. Ideally I'd hoped she learn to shoot because she wanted to, like my daughter did, but I'll take whatever motivator comes along.

It is often strange what will finally get the light to come on. My Wife learned to shoot and carry when we met. For decades she would do both on and off. Mostly carried, seldom shot. That moron who shot those people in the mall north of us a couple years ago is what did it for her. She saw video of a couple victims. Elderly woman and daughter. Daughter was desperately trying to get her Mom to safety and Mom could not move fast enough. Wife said it made her think of being out with her Mom. Suddenly she was going to the range again. Started to always carry. Even bought a couple different carry guns to try. Now she has signed up for some Women's shooting classes, took and passed a Range Safety Officer class. Took the Citizens academy class at one of the local Police departments. Is looking into yet another class. I am of course loving it:)

Last Edited:
Dang! Sorry to hear of the why, yet whatever works to get her onboard of her own will.

Looks like there's a few shooting clubs in Caldwell, perhaps head up to one, if not too far. Pickle Butte club as an example.

Reason being, you all would be able to focus better on her learning safe shooting practices. As opposed to a dual focus on your surrounds, plus on her learning.

Like others have stated, it's too bad that people have no clue that they feel the need for personal protection until the unthinkable happens close to home.

What's also amazing is how those that vote for politicians trying to disarm the people buy guns once they have become victims of criminal behavior. Let that sink in a bit...:rolleyes:

That's good news but knowing how to shoot isn't a magic bullet, mindset and situational awareness are key to not becoming a victim.
Agreed. But one step at a time.
I wouldn't really ever expect her to want to carry, but who knows. Mainly want to get her comfortable from a home defense standpoint first.
The background perspective is as follows. Moving from the PDX area to rural-ish Idaho has been an adjustment for her. She's getting a more self sufficient mindset, which I think is great. The reality is we have no local police department and a couple sherriff's deputies cover 7700 square miles so the "when seconds count..." saying holds very true here.
I don't know anyone from the family involved in the shooting but it was fairly nearby. As more details emerge I'll update.

I wouldn't really ever expect her to want to carry, but who knows. Mainly want to get her comfortable from a home defense standpoint first.
The background perspective is as follows. Moving from the PDX area to rural-ish Idaho has been an adjustment for her. She's getting a more self sufficient mindset, which I think is great. The reality is we have no local police department and a couple sherriff's deputies cover 7700 square miles so the "when seconds count..." saying holds very true here.
I don't know anyone from the family involved in the shooting but it was fairly nearby. As more details emerge I'll update.

Baby steps but get her some professional training. Some women seem to learn better from others, uncanny eh??? :eek:

^^^ THIS^^^
Mindset and the ability to shoot under duress will generally keep one safe. :s0113:

Yah. Gradually get her to understand that Tueller drill "rule" (distance required to defend oneself), and the critical point of no warning nor wounding shots. Stop the threat.

However those types of discussions can come up once she is comfortable with the tools. No sense cluttering up anyones thought processes all at once.

The catalyst is what it is. However, there's no "safe" neighborhood and people often find themselves with their throats cut while standing next to a police station.

Baby steps but get her some professional training. Some women seem to learn better from others, uncanny eh??? :eek:
Don't have to tell me about that. Was planning to just go out to cover some basics with my daughter as an additional conduit, so that she doesn't feel completely out of her element walking into a class for the first time. I'll leave the real training to the pros.

"You need to teach me to shoot."
And teach her well as, some things will need to become instinctive. Like ensuring the safety is off in a crucial moment!:)

Very excited for you two! I see a new level of bonding in your future. My wife could shoot my .45 better than me and never hesitated to rib me about it!:s0140:

Women in general are good to excellent shots.

My wife was on the rifle team in high school and it's all I can do out shoot her...and often don't...pistol/rifle/shotgun she's good with all of em.

Trouble is she won't carry, but if she goes to any place 30 + miles or so away she'll take her Glock 19 and before leaving the car has a lock box she puts it in rather than holstering it.

Sigh...

Me, about the only time I'm not carrying is while showering or in bed with my G19 with Surefire light within easy reach.

Just want them to feel a little safer when I'm working out of town. I explained that I didn't think it was a random crime and took the fire extinguisher approach. Probably won't ever need it but you should still know where it is and how to use it.
The house is pretty secure and there's 80 pounds of pitbull inside so it's not something I lose sleep over. Still, I'll take the opportunity to get her trained. It's easier if it's her idea.

Check out the series that John Lovel (warrior poet society) is doing on youtube on taking a couple from 0 to prepared. He takes a hollistic approach, looking at lighting, door reinforcement, alarms, habits, and of course, shooting!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top