1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

And how do you feel about that? Cracked bit on Guns.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IronMonster, Dec 31, 2014.

1. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I think there is a lot of truth in that article, and some of it is just to provoke thought so it was a fun read.
  3. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

The comment I posted in reply to the article:

For some people, yes, it is, at least partially about their "man card".

For many others there are as many reasons as there are different kinds of guns. As is usual, generalizing (and in the case of this article, stereotyping) is generally wrong.

As for the NRA - they don't sell anything but memberships (and no, I am not a member) and yes, they represent firearms owners, not just the firearms industry.

The reason people want suppressors is because it makes a firearm safer to shoot - by cutting down on the noise. If you had ever shot a suppressor you would know they don't make shooting anything a "secret", they just reduce the sound down to a point where it is safer for your hearing, and with some low power firearms you can then shoot without hearing protection.

Also, it allows people to shoot without making objectionable noise for their neighbors - a big thing when your neighbor is a gun range. In some european countries they are not as paranoid about suppressors as the USA and you can buy them without a 6 month long background check and a $200 tax stamp. That is because they realize that suppressors have a useful function that is not nefarious and actually makes shooting safer and less objectionable.

Cracked really likes to post articles about "facts", and this one isn't too bad, but for an article that claims to be about "facts", it sure seems to gloss over some, and be superficial about others. I have noticed this trend over the years I have been reading articles here.
  4. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This article is not worth the bandwidth it took to read..what a crock of sh@t. The fact we are even discussing it means we have nothing to do on a New Years Eve afternoon. Screw this..I am going to run out to my range and burn a couple mags.
    U201491 likes this.
  5. Simonpie

Simonpie Portland Active Member

Interesting, and it touched on the one big question that everyone seems to ignore.
    Violent crime is way down, over a broad time period.
    Big school shootings are up, over a broad time period.
    What's up with that?

It isn't really a gun question, more of a violence question, but if someone wants a grant for a study, this is where I'd want them to look.
  6. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
    Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

School shootings are NOT up, in fact they are down but the "news" media reporting it is way up!!

NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    NRA Golden Eagle member
    NRA Recruiter
    Defender of Freedom Award
    Washington Arms Collector Member
    Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"
    U201491 likes this.