JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its like my aunt has traces my moms family back to the 1660s here. I am working on my dads side but nothing is coming up.

Its disconcerting

There has been some hoopla about some of these genetic research places as of late in the news. I personally will steer clear of them. Who knows who could buy the data, especially when they go from a private corporation to a public one. (bio research)

but..

if you run a dead end there may be help on their side if you go that route you may find something. Who knows.

My dad used it a few years ago and we found what was written in the family bible was true, not just stories my grandfather and uncles would tell...Great great great grandfather was a very bad man and hung for it!

<broken link removed>

Have used the site and got a lot of information but took years to get. Best resources were the users of the site through message boards or personal contact. Placed who I was researching in personal profile and and other users brought out places and people that were in the family tree.

Example, two years after placing who I was researching on my personal profile I was contacted by someone who had letters from my grandmother. Found out she was raped by a black field hand and ended up having a baby she gave up. The letters were between mother and child.

If ya'll are having a problem with the site perhaps it's because there are not a lot of branches in your family tree:D:D:D:eek:

I have a percussion rifle stamped with the maker and city in Michigan. I used Ancestry to find the census entry for the guy. Had him listed as a gunsmith in 1860. There was no town there in 1850 and he and his apprentice were gone in 1870. I didn't look much further, but I'm guessing the civil war got most gunsmiths traveling around, or dead.

I've never had good relationships with my family and barely know anything about my grandparents and anything beyond that I know nothing about.
Makes you feel really lost in who you are and where you belong.
I've always wanted to join and see if there's information on who my family was.

I've never had good relationships with my family and barely know anything about my grandparents and anything beyond that I know nothing about.
Makes you feel really lost in who you are and where you belong.
I've always wanted to join and see if there's information on who my family was.

I am trying to see but I knoiw my great grand dads records wer elost in a fire.

I've never tried the site but am curious. My mom was adopted so I know nothing about her blood family other than what my grandmother told me -- which wasn't much.
My dad's family name is not super common but enough so that if I meet another we likely aren't related. Almost all of my grandparents' generation is dead now but my dad got in touch with a great aunt in Nebraska (where my great grandparents came from in the '30s) who had lots of family history stories. I'd never heard anything previous to the move from Nebraska. Apparently my great-great grandfather was one of 3 brothers who Immigrated in the 1880s(?) and were swindled on a land deal right off the boat. One brother immediately went back home. The other stayed on the east coast and my great great grandfather headed west. Story goes he was a pretty good shot and would regularly enter and win money in marksmanship contests eventually gaining some regional notoriety. Well, there was a problem in the area with cattle/horse theft and the towns people spread the word that they had hired him to handle it. He never had to do anything and the theft stopped in the area...at least that's how the story goes. I'm curious whether any of that could be verified via the site.
The only family heirloom remaining that I'm aware of is his old Spencer 12ga that my dad now has. He used it to feed his kids. Hoping to have it on my wall someday.

View attachment 248508

Try Familysearch.org
The history of my family is pretty important to me. I like to know where I come from, and the history of my linage.
As far as selling information, this site above won't for sure.

Ancestry.com is pretty good. I started on my family tree around 1993. Don't be in a hurry. Took me 15 years to find my wife's grandfather. Wrong first name, but everyone only new him by his nickname. The Mormon family history site may also give you some leads.
Ancestry.com bought up just about all the genealogy web sites.

There are so many things that can never be proven. Like my grandma always told me that Charles Russle woud come for dinner and at one time he carved a horse out of soap for the kids..
something that could never be proved but a good story.

Been at it for years and get a better picture of where I came from all the time. Got one branch back to the Mayflower. I lost my dad as a young child and no realitives to tell me history so started with names and dates from family bible. I am satisfied now.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads