JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
That's the best post ever

watch that sarcasm friend!! as for me, i only post whats happened to me, since i am just a beginner in life. i always know that he who knows all, knows little. I give my opinion for a living, so i know what goes into an informed opinion. i must admit though, the internet is full of half truths and stone cold bold lies. anyone who takes anything posted anywhere without a grain of salt is someone i want to sell a few islands to.

...is of less value than a qualified one.

This statement has caused me some problems on various forums when asking for people's frame of reference, past experience, actual experience, or other qualifiers to an opinion.

Someone posts that "this class was amazing!", yet when pressed, admits that the only other class they ever had was the two hour lecture at the gun show to get their CWP.

Someone posts "I love my XYZ carbine!", yet eventually concedes that they have had the thing for 3 years and are still on the first case of ammo they bought with the gun.

Someone posts "the ABC bolt-on made by XYZ is the best!", but come to find out that they've never even laid hands on one, let alone used one.

Which isn't to say that these opinions are completely worthless, so long as they are properly qualified.

If the guy in example one said "I've never taken any training before, but this instructor really took the time to walk the new guys through and I absolutely loved the experience", then others that are new to training could perhaps put themselves in his shoes and figure out that this might be a class they would be interested in.

If the guy in example two just fessed up to the relatively low round count, and the virtual lack of experience with the gun, perhaps someone else with a similar intended use could benefit from the opinion and save $200 over buying more gun than they "need".

If the guy in example three just admitted that he got the information off the internet, but said "I've never used an ABC from XYZ, but both Pat Rogers and Larry Vickers have posted on various forums that they love them" (and preferably provide links to those posts), then at least they're sort of shifting the qualifier to someone else, and providing the resource where someone could go and ask questions of Pat and Larry to further their inquiries.

Yes, contrary to what your mommy and your third grade teacher told you, while everyone may be entitled to their opinion, some opinions are of less value than others.

When seeking advice on the internet, you need to include two things:
1) What do you intend to do with the product? Whether you are asking about Jeep parts, rifles, electronics, whatever, but don't leave out what you want to do with it. TELL US WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH THE ITEM IN QUESTION. What optic someone suggests will depend on whether you want to defend your barricaded family in your home or pop prairie dogs at 800 yards.

2) What is your frame of reference? If you're asking for suggestions on a new product, and you've already owned 3 of the competitive products, let people know that so they can save time and streamline their advice. If you're asking about 123 because you've already tried ABC and didn't like it, then say so. That way the people that prefer ABC can save themselves the trouble of suggesting it. If you're asking about a class to take, post your previous training experience as it will have an impact on what people recommend.

When reading advice on the internet, you need to make sure of two things:
1) Does the advice-giver have any real frame of reference for their opinions? If they don't post their qualifiers, or get upset when asked to, then you can pretty easily discount their opinion. Make sure that the guy posting on the other end actually has some kind of experience to back up his opinion, or at least tells you that he has none.

2) Does the advice-given share your frame of reference? While cops can learn from non-LE, and civilians can learn from soldiers, and soldiers can learn from competition shooters, there are times when the needs of someone in a role different from yours may not translate well to your needs. Make sure that you understand where the other person is coming from, their application and level of experience, and that you understand how their frame of reference translates to your own.

When offering advice on the internet, you should do two things:
1) Post your qualifiers. "I love my XYZ" is an absolutely useless post. It helps nobody, does nothing but strokes your own ego, and chances are you are only actually recommending the only brand/model/example/version of the thing that you have ever even seen in person. Stop it. There is nothing wrong with posting an opinion based largely in ignorance, but own up to it. Say "I bought an XYZ as my first AR and I've put x# of trouble-free rounds through it". Don't say "flawless". Please. For the children.

2) Post your frame of reference. If you use an item as a PMC in Iraq, say so. If you use an item for competitive shooting, say so. If you use an item as an LE, say so. While there may be some carryover, oftentimes there isn't. Preferably you should ascertain what it is that the other guy is planning on doing with his XYZ, and then qualify whatever advice you give based on same.

Are you qualified to make this conclusion? :p

What I hate is when someone makes a statement as 100% fact and when you ask them to show proof they tell you to find it yourself! If someone won't stand behind their statement why should I have to prove their statement for them?

It's not a conclusion, its suggesting that people qualify their opinions when they make a post about a certain item/product, to help everyone make an informed decision.

I notice more experienced posters include their bonafides briefly to set the tone of their observations. It is actually a courtesy to do so, since it can save several followup posts seeking to clarify whether the poster is talking thru a hat or not.

What I hate is when someone makes a statement as 100% fact and when you ask them to show proof they tell you to find it yourself! If someone won't stand behind their statement why should I have to prove their statement for them?

No one's asking you to prove their statement. And I agree with you, I wouldn't want to, and I don't have that much to do such a thing very often.

The point of this thread is to ask people to tone down some of the responses one gets when asking about a product.

Just qualify it with what you do know. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Just like some of the examples I posted.

Someone posts "I love my XYZ gun", yet eventually concedes that they have had the thing for 3 years and are still on the first few boxes of ammo they bought with the gun.
That's fine, that's qualifying what their experience is with that XYZ gun, or item.

But just to say you love it and I'd buy another, doesn't do anyone any good for anything.

I suppose it all comes down to "free advice is worth what you pay for it", unless the poster clarifies their expertise on the subject.

It doesn't have to be a novel or anything, just something simple so good decisions can be made about a gun or item.

It's easy to appear to win a disagreement if one has the ability to censor the evidence. What are you afraid of?

Just thinkin out loud........

I didn't censor anything, but someone who is disgruntled at not only me but the admin in general. There are things best left aired in private.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads