JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fair enough. I must have missed those posts. I dont at all mind the opposing opinion on OC as we're a diverse community here.. some support it, others do not.. its the calling the cops I took issue with. But minds can always change.
Years ago, many LEAs in WA knew little about Open Carry being legal, probably because it's the absence of any state law that makes it so. Not all of them handled this well, and some lawsuits happened. When said LEAs lost those lawsuits, departments across the state issued instructions to their patrol officers clarifying the legality of Open Carry. Most jurisdictions now, the way that sort of phone call will go is they'll ask a few questions, quickly establish that nothing illegal or sketchy is going on, and inform the caller that Open Carry is legal in this state. Usually. Almost always, as far as I can tell. So while a lot of citizens have no idea, most LEOs are well aware now.

So did I, initially - especially IF he knew OC was legal.

Heck where I live if one were to call the cops on every OC they saw support would be necessary to respond to all the calls - that's assuming cops would even respond to a report of OC with no other issues related to it.
I knew it was legal, but I didn't think it was sensible... but realized that's more my issue, and not something worth bogging police down with, especially when they are already overwhelmed due to budget cuts and rise in more serious crimes.

I bought my first guns in December 2020, so I'm still forming my identity as a gun owner. Greatly appreciate this forum where I can learn from far more experience heater owners!

Greatly appreciate this forum where I can learn from far more experience heater owners!
Just something to consider here.
When speaking of firearms...use of the proper terms , makes for a better impression , than slang terms.
( At least from my point of view , as one who has had firearms all of his life and spent some time earning my living with them. )
Andy

Just something to consider here.
When speaking of firearms...use of the proper terms , makes for a better impression , than slang terms.
( At least from my point of view , as one who has had firearms all of his life and spent some time earning my living with them. )
Andy
I'm cool with terms like heater, piece, 9, gat, etc. we can get hood around here. Bandana on the right side, Glock on the left side.

I knew it was legal, but I didn't think it was sensible.
Sorry but this sounds pretty 'self indulgent' for someone who would transcend the knowledge of a LEGAL ACT, of which there is no cause for concern, yet felt the need to push the issue on the basis of a 'personal' definition of sensibility?

So other than open carry of a firearm, have you ever called the cops on OTHER things you observed and knew were 'legal', but you deemed 'not sensible' as well ?

alright, cool.

personally i dont like open carry. for me its yeah you can but doesnt mean you should.

do i care if others open carry? no. thats their business

alright, cool.

personally i dont like open carry. for me its yeah you can but doesnt mean you should.

do i care if others open carry? no. thats their business
Right there with you. I think it's stupid but I support the right of someone doing it. But I don't feel for them when they have to deal with the consequences of doing so.

I choose not to OC and I am glad that I am not breaking the law when I print or my shirt rides up.
To each his own, but OC is not for me, for now.

The only time I open carry it looks completely normal, natural, almost expected, certainly wouldn't draw undesired attention assuming there was somebody crossing paths in first place.

Oh, all right.

I know a guy who is all into purple. He shows up in classes wearing purple, has purple mags, purple on his guns and he's plenty competent in their use. I gave him a purple ammo can and turned him onto Winchester's purple cased training ammo, which he bought a couple cases. Maybe it was him you saw, but I doubt it.
https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/prod...rem-winchester-dhs-purple-casing-62gr-ot-ammo
God help him if he saw the CCI 22LR christmas edition ammo

Years ago, many LEAs in WA knew little about Open Carry being legal, probably because it's the absence of any state law that makes it so. Not all of them handled this well, and some lawsuits happened. When said LEAs lost those lawsuits, departments across the state issued instructions to their patrol officers clarifying the legality of Open Carry. Most jurisdictions now, the way that sort of phone call will go is they'll ask a few questions, quickly establish that nothing illegal or sketchy is going on, and inform the caller that Open Carry is legal in this state. Usually. Almost always, as far as I can tell. So while a lot of citizens have no idea, most LEOs are well aware now.

I can assure you that they really do not want to show up for these calls, for the most part the people that call grievously overstate the "murderous intent" that most OC people pose....but they for the most part handle it as professionals. I've been, albeit with good intentions questioned by more than one group who know the law and who are called because the current manager on shift is too terrified to confront me personally to tell me I'm not welcome in the store.

If you've never done OC before you really should, it will open your eyes to a lot you may have never experienced or realized before. It can only help us grow as the ambassadors of the 2a that we are always and without any doubt professionals and steadfastly educated, nothing like testing your professionalism than the boys in blue standing right before you

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top