JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You need to take into account the location of @RVTECH. He's in semi-rural Central Oregon. NOT BEND Oregon. Now here in NePo? Or NW potland? Heck yeah! Purple, pink, pink tattoos, purple hair, nose, tongue rings, .50 cent size gauges. But any gun here would be met with the swat team, IF they still have one that is.

I wore a pink T shirt when I competed in tactical two gun and I "won" frequently, guys showing up in tactical gear had mixed reactions about that. I'm possibly one of the most "conservative" guys you've exchanged messages with, though that may be hard to comprehend based on my location. I really don't view purple grips as similar to the general mindset of people who get gauges, die their hair, vote blue, etc. There's some really expensive sports cars that "macho" men drool over that are purple and other similar colors. The grips seem in similar taste.

If I see anyone crazy enough or bold enough to open carry in a store or public place where there are people around, I am doing two things.

1. Leaving the area immediately.
2. Calling the police.

I don't see any need to open carry unless you're out away, whether it's a law or not, and I suspect the police would want to have a conversation with that person to determine level of threat.

It may be a right, but that doesn't mean I have to be comfortable with it.

Holy clutch your pearls some more, Batman!

I am reminiscent of the conversations that must have occurred in the years leading to the Revolutionary War. The Patriots, who wished for a free America, and the loyalists who chose to remain under the Kings tyranny. Today, we find ourselves having similar conversations. The intent to erode our Constitutional Rights, as evident by some in our discussions here, will define which color coat one wears.

Last Edited:
I am reminiscent of the conversations that must have occurred in the years leading to the Revolutionary War. The Patriots, who wished for a free America, and the loyalists who chose the remain under the Kings tyranny. Today, we find ourselves having similar conversations. The intent to erode our Constitutional Rights, as evident by some in our discussions here, will define which color coat one wears.
Seems like a bit of a stretch to me.... Like suggesting everyone who fought for the confederacy supported slavery and everyone who fought for the union was opposed to it.

As seen in Wal-Mart

walmartcarry.JPG

Unfortunately, some of us cannot help but post first and read the thread later.

Rickysays reversed his position and admitted it to the forum and this is how we learn. He is setting a great example on how to have a discourse.
You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but some of you guys are using a Bug Assault and peppering new members with salt.

In a store the other day and a guy was open carrying.

It was some sort of semi auto (couldn't tell the make) in a modern style holster however it had BRIGHT purple grips on it!

Ok, regardless of the opinions on OC in general I am thinking if you are going to do so keep it as 'subdued' as possible.

Anytime I have seen someone open carry in an area with a lot of people, I have never had the impression that the person wanted to appear having a "subdued" look.

Seems like a bit of a stretch to me.... Like suggesting everyone who fought for the confederacy supported slavery and everyone who fought for the union was opposed to it.
Yea his quote is a major stretch. Nothing like painting a whole group with one colored brush. Once again hurting the 2A community.

I have yet to see anyone open carry in public like in stores etc. If I did, I would not call the police as they have not committed a crime. I would however leave the premises. Not out of fear of the person carrying, but out of fear of what commotion he might cause with other shoppers who freak out or the police when someone else calls in 'man with a gun'. I prefer to avoid drama.

I have yet to see anyone open carry in public like in stores etc. If I did, I would not call the police as they have not committed a crime. I would however leave the premises. Not out of fear of the person carrying, but out of fear of what commotion he might cause with other shoppers who freak out or the police when someone else calls in 'man with a gun'. I prefer to avoid drama.
It almost never goes that way. I used to open carry downtown. The only thing I ever noticed was a guy in a parking lot on a phone going "What do you mean it's not against the law?" and I'm just assuming I know what that was about. Most people don't even notice, lots of folks pretend not to and are polite and genuinely nice about it. Now, to be fair, I would dress somewhat conservatively and did nothing to call attention to myself or my firearm. I still think it's a net positive for folks to see a friendly, non-confrontational person carrying. This is what the Open Carry community means by "normalizing" firearms, not the guy with the wife beater shirt and a drop-leg holster doing laps in Walmart.

Last Edited:
So these open carry threads aren't new. And they always turn into a debate. Which is fine. My question is, when one side says they support open carry but don't advise it (would avoid it all together for various reasons) they are automatically made out to be some form of anti 2A "British red coat." They don't "believe or support" rights as much as the guy who walks around with his XD in his uncle mikes holster strapped on the outside of his jeans? We all have rights. Exercise them how you want. But there will be consequences for your actions. Just like you have the freedom of speech but depending on what you say you could end up loosing some teeth or worse. Not everyone is going to agree on how you should exercise your right. In the end I will exercise my right to carry until I die but you will not see me doing it in the version of open carry. I personally don't want people to k ow I have a gun.

Yea his quote is a major stretch. Nothing like painting a whole group with one colored brush. Once again hurting the 2A community.
I paint no group or person. Some choose to paint themselves.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I almost never goes that way. I used to open carry downtown. The only thing I ever noticed was a guy in a parking lot on a phone going "What do you mean it's not against the law?" and I'm just assuming I know what that was about. Most people don't even notice, lots of folks pretend not to and are polite and genuinely nice about it. Now, to be fair, I would dress somewhat conservatively and did nothing to call attention to myself or my firearm. I still think it's a net positive for folks to see a friendly, non-confrontational person carrying. This is what the Open Carry community means by "normalizing" firearms, not the guy with the wife beater shirt and a drop-leg holster doing laps in Walmart.
Unfortunately there is more of one than the other. I wish we could get to a point where firearms were "normalized." I just don't think open carry is the best way to do it. But if you are doing it the way you suggested that does not put as bad of a taste in my mouth as the majority of open carry I see. I'd much rather make friends with someone who is anti 2A. Build a relationship to the point I could talk about firearms and eventually reveal that I had been carrying the entire time our relationship evolved. Showing that a gun is a tool and doesn't change who I am as a person.

I paint no group or person. Some choose to paint themselves.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin
Ok hard charger.

I was relegated to open carry while waiting for my CPL, it was a huge PITA and I've had many talks with various management and PD due to it...which to be fair the PD was always professional and had the attitude the they would really be anywhere else.

that said the first rule of a gun fight is to have a gun, and I won't judge others for their choice. However I certainly wish some of those would learn a bit more SA, but I am sure we could all use improvements on that front.

..,. My question is, when one side says they support open carry but don't advise it (would avoid it all together for various reasons) they are automatically made out to be some form of anti 2A "British red coat."...
It's not just this particular subject. There are always going to be fire-breathers on each side of the debate on any touchy issue. Reactionaries on one side will declare the other side idiots, only to be labeled inhuman or evil by their opponents. It's how people are. Not us, of course. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top