JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the OP was simply inferring that open carry is a good way to bring attention to yourself, whether wanted or unwanted. Adding day-glo grips just magnifies the effect. While the majority of us practice common sense, many do not. Nothing wrong with bringing it up on here for discussion.

Your title says it all. Open carry = mistake. I'm not prejudice against color. I think they should all be hidden.

If I see anyone crazy enough or bold enough to open carry in a store or public place where there are people around, I am doing two things.

1. Leaving the area immediately.
2. Calling the police.

I don't see any need to open carry unless you're out away, whether it's a law or not, and I suspect the police would want to have a conversation with that person to determine level of threat.

It may be a right, but that doesn't mean I have to be comfortable with it.
Your "comfort" does not supersede his right......

If I see anyone crazy enough or bold enough to open carry in a store or public place where there are people around, I am doing two things.

1. Leaving the area immediately.
2. Calling the police.

I don't see any need to open carry unless you're out away, whether it's a law or not, and I suspect the police would want to have a conversation with that person to determine level of threat.

It may be a right, but that doesn't mean I have to be comfortable with it.
I bet you like to talk to mangers a lot, don't you ?

THIS is how I open carry:

1618077635655.png

I bet you like to talk to mangers a lot, don't you Karen?
I'm not calling the cops every time when I see someone open carrying. But I agree with the original quote when he says he would leave the store immediately. I would do the same if possible. I would at least distance myself from him. The majority of individuals who open carry have no place in a gunfight from my own personal observations. I don't want to be collateral damage if it can be avoided. Call it judging a book by its cover or whatever. Look at the gear and individual appearance and that alone should tell you all you need to know. Yes I am profiling. No I don't care.

So your not comfortable with how much freedom he was experiencing?

I understand the viewpoint of "less tactically advantageous to draw attention to yourself," but if the person feels confident enough to open carry, and wants to have purple grips while doing so, my thoughts are "freedom on fellow American."

You need to take into account the location of @RVTECH. He's in semi-rural Central Oregon. NOT BEND Oregon. Now here in NePo? Or NW potland? Heck yeah! Purple, pink, pink tattoos, purple hair, nose, tongue rings, .50 cent size gauges. But any gun here would be met with the swat team, IF they still have one that is.

Do those that wish to deprive me of my Constitutional rights deserve the protection of the same? Have those who have shown an intent to destroy the Bill of Rights, by their actions, renounced their citizenship?

Do those that wish to deprive me of my Constitutional rights deserve the protection of the same? Have those who have shown an intent to destroy the Bill of Rights, by their actions, renounced their citizenship?
No one here is trying to deprive you of your rights. But like everything else in this work everyone has an opinion. Personally I think open carry hurts the 2A community and I think it's foolish but if that's what gets you off keep doing it. No one is stopping you.

You need to take into account the location of @RVTECH. He's in semi-rural Central Oregon. NOT BEND Oregon. Now here in NePo? Or NW potland? Heck yeah! Purple, pink, pink tattoos, purple hair, nose, tongue rings, .50 cent size gauges. But any gun here would be met with the swat team, IF they still have one that is.
Now what's wrong with piercings and tattoos?

I'm not calling the cops every time when I see someone open carrying. But I agree with the original quote when he says he would leave the store immediately. I would do the same if possible. I would at least distance myself from him. The majority of individuals who open carry have no place in a gunfight from my own personal observations. I don't want to be collateral damage if it can be avoided. Call it judging a book by its cover or whatever. Look at the gear and individual appearance and that alone should tell you all you need to know. Yes I am profiling. No I don't care.
Or... if I was carrying concealed, I might keep a close eye on the person and be on high alert in case he/she decided to pull their heater out.

Thinking out loud here folks. It's just an opinion. You're always free to do whatever the he!! you want.

Or... if I was carrying concealed, I might keep a close eye on the person and be on high alert in case he/she decided to pull their heater out.

Thinking out loud here folks. It's just an opinion. You're always free to do whatever the he!! you want.
I am always alert when I walk out my front door. I am constantly in yellow unless a situation arises that forces me to jump the continuum.

Thanks... and believe me... I feel plenty silly spouting off about it in the first place before thinking it all the way through.
We all put our foot in our mouth at least once. No harm no foul. I know I am guilty.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top