JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You need to take into account the location of @RVTECH. He's in semi-rural Central Oregon. NOT BEND Oregon. Now here in NePo? Or NW potland? Heck yeah! Purple, pink, pink tattoos, purple hair, nose, tongue rings, .50 cent size gauges. But any gun here would be met with the swat team, IF they still have one that is.

Men in NE Oregon don't do purple guns either. Unless they borrow them from the wife or daughter. At least not real men anyway.

No one here is trying to deprive you of your rights. But like everything else in this work everyone has an opinion. Personally I think open carry hurts the 2A community and I think it's foolish but if that's what gets you off keep doing it. No one is stopping you.

Open carry of a handgun on the belt in La Grande is not unusual by any measure. Nobody normal raises an eyebrow. But open carry of an AR would have me on alert for sure. And I really don't like to see ARs at 2A rallies, and obviously the greater public doesn't either. Just because they CAN do it, doesn't mean they should.

Last Edited:
In a store the other day and a guy was open carrying.

It was some sort of semi auto (couldn't tell the make) in a modern style holster however it had BRIGHT purple grips on it!

Ok, regardless of the opinions on OC in general I am thinking if you are going to do so keep it as 'subdued' as possible.
When I need to open carry it is always as an alternative to brandishing, insofar as I want the gun to be unmissable by the cracked out junkie I'm asking to leave the property.

I will often add open carry to my concealed carry just to announce myself when that is needed.

*To be clear, I would never nor do I recommend ever removing your holstered weapon for any reason outside of self defense.

If they don't see a gun they just tell me to F off and won't leave, since the cops never show here.

For that purpose I use a polished 1911 with gold accents, it works great cause it glistens in the sun with a strength and beauty that makes the junkies nearly wet themselves on the way out.

Not exactly the most kosher use, but my alternative is to not open carry something shiny and get feces or rocks thrown at me by junkies.... and we're taking heroin turds as large as my forearm out there.

Last Edited:
i hear ya. Hadn't thought about that part.
I'm probably just being paranoid.

it's not against the law either.
Ok... movin on...
Personally I believe in constitutional carry, so open carry seems limited to me. Our sister state vermont has constitutional carry and everyday I wish we did as well.

That being said, yes it is legal. Is it smart to open carry everywhere? Not really, because it's super inconvenient to do and who has the time to be asked to disarm at half the stores you need to go to?

I would report erratic behavior to someone in the store regardless of open carry or not if someone was making me uncomfortable which I would encourage you to do within your rights.

I would agree with the previous comment about misuse of 911 calls, it could be very bad for you because that is a crime too actually, and puts people at risk.

End of the day there is a difference between a non-threatening open carry or semi-visible concealed carry and the wacko with a guns to shoot up the store... if you carry you should be able to tell the difference.

I knew it was legal, but I didn't think it was sensible... but realized that's more my issue, and not something worth bogging police down with, especially when they are already overwhelmed due to budget cuts and rise in more serious crimes.

I bought my first guns in December 2020, so I'm still forming my identity as a gun owner. Greatly appreciate this forum where I can learn from far more experience heater owners!
Yeah, I think 2019 for me. The wife wouldn't let me have guns until she realized how just unable or unwilling the police are to help here.

We had a creeper watching our young girls sleep. We're on a flag lot in a good neighborhood. Police couldn't do anything.

So my wife insisted I have guns, a ga the, a security system, and cameras. Even got the guy on camera, and I recognized him as the son from the heroin house up the road... still nothing.

About 20k later (and about a thousand a month in practice ammo these days 200-300 rounds a week) we're all set. Don't need police to track down a creeper now since getting into my property would wake me up, and that would be a real bad day.

After some real breaking bad stuff at my office and the consistent homeless+heroin/meth issues at the property basically everyone carries.

Not really. Papa bear has a say so too. Or should anyway.
There are some things that two should agree on and shouldn't be in disagreement on because consequences could be ending the relationship.

Guns in the home are one of those I believe.

Children are another.

I suspect there are a few more, but those are the two that come to mind from this post 😀

I knew it was legal, but I didn't think it was sensible... but realized that's more my issue, and not something worth bogging police down with, especially when they are already overwhelmed due to budget cuts and rise in more serious crimes.

I bought my first guns in December 2020, so I'm still forming my identity as a gun owner. Greatly appreciate this forum where I can learn from far more experience heater owners!

Good on ya, but please know that experienced gun owners cringe when people use the terms "heater, gat, piece, chopper, etc.

Sorry but this sounds pretty 'self indulgent' for someone who would transcend the knowledge of a LEGAL ACT, of which there is no cause for concern, yet felt the need to push the issue on the basis of a 'personal' definition of sensibility?

So other than open carry of a firearm, have you ever called the cops on OTHER things you observed and knew were 'legal', but you deemed 'not sensible' as well
Good on ya, but please know that experienced gun owners cringe when people use the terms "heater, gat, piece, chopper, etc.
Funny... I picked up the term "heater" from a long time gun owner. Figured I'd use it and sound hip. Lol.

moral of the story (any story really): ymmv

When I need to open carry it is always as an alternative to brandishing, insofar as I want the gun to be unmissable by the cracked out junkie I'm asking to leave the property.

I will often add open carry to my concealed carry just to announce myself when that is needed.

*To be clear, I would never nor do I recommend ever removing your holstered weapon for any reason outside of self defense.

If they don't see a gun they just tell me to F off and won't leave, since the cops never show here.

For that purpose I use a polished 1911 with gold accents, it works great cause it glistens in the sun with a strength and beauty that makes the junkies nearly wet themselves on the way out.

Not exactly the most kosher use, but my alternative is to not open carry something shiny and get feces or rocks thrown at me by junkies.... and we're taking heroin turds as large as my forearm out there.

Super Soaker filled with milk seems like it could encourage them too. Even with your bling on your hip.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top