JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First I realize that this topic could turn inflamitory but that is not my intent. I am simply exploring the current trend of rising used gun prices.
Over the past few months I have noticed a disturbing trend here on the boards of used firearms for sale from private sellers asking absurdly high prices for used firearms. More often times than not these sellers are asking more for a firearm that I can purchase brand new from a dealer. Example: I saw an used SKS for sale here recently where the seller is asking $350.00 firm. I found the same thing from a dealer for $269.00. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
Its not uncommon to find someone asking $500.00+ for a used WASR 10. This trend isn't just restricted to imports but domestics as well. Most bare bone AR's go for around $800.00. I found a dealer who sells them under $600.00. This is dissapointing to say the least. It almost feels that people see what its selling for on gun broker and feel that is a fair price for their item not realizing that GB is exorbidently high cost and not the beromiter for the commercial market. So my question is this: what fuels this trend? Is it a sellers market here in the northwest? Is it just plain greed? Or simpllly uniformed sellers asking to much?
Again, I don't intend this to be an inflamitory question but more exploring what the root cause is.

What are your opinions?

I find Gun prices in my area, even at dealers are high. I go to lewiston Id on a regular basis and the prices are considerably lower on just about everything. For example I have been looking for a couple pistols, and in my area they are selling for 350 to 500 bucks at dealers and boards alike. Go to lewiston and one of the pistols i have been looking for setting in the case for 250 bucks. For whatever reason prices are higher then surrounding areas.

That is just what I have seen

At the same time though people can ask whatever they want, that does not mean we have to buy it.

Honestly, I think people are pushing the values trying to set a trade limit - "I think my AR's worth $800 in trade, and about $600 to sell." I know that when faced with trade goods, several of the folks I've dealt with have "changed" the acceptable value of the gun they're holding to get something that would also retail for less than the value they've advertised their gun at.

Market driven or not, it's irritating at least to see guns (and even ammo) being offered for resale at higher than the new prices. But then, we here in NW OR have Keith's, and they can beat the heck out of just about anybody's prices. If you can stand to deal with them.

I just looked at a guy's ad for a used Bersa Thunder .380 CC a few days ago, offered for $300. Last I checked Keith's they were in stock, for $289 NIB. I thought about sending him a PM, just a friendly FYI, but the last time I did something of the sort it went rather badly.

Keiths has good prices sure but they aren't the only ones that do. I ordered a pistol through Wild Bills in Mollala and its costing me the same as it would at Keiths. Course for me I'm not out 2 hours of driving only 40 min and the gas money. And Bills a fun guy to talk to if you can get him to stop trying to do 11 things at once....

There is currently a Draco listed for $550, and another painted one for $450. Last I checked (5 minutes ago) they were still available for $350 from classic arms (maybe cheaper elsewhere). Another $50 and you get 3 additional magazines and a case. Buyer beware I guess.

But if you can't wait a few days to get it?
Or don't want to deal w/ the FFL? (that part scares me a bit)

Example: I saw an used SKS for sale here recently where the seller is asking $350.00 firm. I found the same thing from a dealer for $269.00. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
I have a couple of thoughts in response to your post. First, about your example, are you sure you are comparing apples to apples? Maybe the "firm" seller was including more than just the gun such as additional mags or ammo in their price, whereas the dealer is only selling the basic gun.

About pricing used guns. Suppose the seller of the high priced gun initially payed too much for the gun. That might lead them to think that the gun has a higher value to everyone else as well.

In the end, I agree, like most things, the market will determine the eventual selling price. If you think a price is too high, either respectfully offer less, or don't buy.

I have a couple of thoughts in response to your post. First, about your example, are you sure you are comparing apples to apples? Maybe the "firm" seller was including more than just the gun such as additional mags or ammo in their price, whereas the dealer is only selling the basic gun.

Yeah, both Yugo's, both unfired....matching numbers! I wouldn't have overlooked something like that.
I could point out that some sellers were foolish and purchased firearms and ammo during the Obama panic and rather than just take it in the shorts like they should they keep the local market falsely inflated over the long term.
I would say that anyone supporting such sellers is helping to fuel the problem.

At the tiny Sequim show,a guy I have seen around has a table with another.The first sells knives and "survival gear".Sure
Anyway,they had a Glock 21 "as NIB" Never fired?.

How much?........700....How much?????......NIB,never fired night sites....NO PAPER WORK...700

Brother that is maybe a $650 gun new,so used it's a $575 gun max

NO PAPER WORK 700

Sorry it's a $575 gun

I guess no paper work is worth a buck 25?

Education and time is the key. On guns I am looking for - I have fairly good idea of what I can get it for new and then look at used prices on GunBroker to see what used and new guns actually sell for. My preference would be to buy local.
But I see lots of used guns go for premium prices. NOw is that people reacting to a gun and not knowing the real price?

When I sold a couple guns - I used the Gunbroker and the Bluebook to come up with a price.

But I agree some of the prices are not realistic. As a good reference - go onto Gunbroker and check the sold section - most guns do not sell.
It would be interesting to see what would happen if people had to pay to make the actual posting- That would cange things.

NO PAPER WORK 700

Sorry it's a $575 gun

I guess no paper work is worth a buck 25?
To some people it may be. Not defending it, just saying if people really believe it's going to come to the point ATF pulling 4473s from dealers and knocking on doors, the fact they paid a bit too much becomes irrelevant.

Well the buyers read these type boards,specifically the political section and the prepared sections.They they get themselves in a frenzy,thinking if they don't buy now,it won't be available ever again
And the sellers read the same boards and raise the prices.Then you go to the newspaper adds and the Little Nickel types and see the out of work guys selling stuff for bargains to feed the family.

Like a shop owners said yesterday,just wait and see what happens if Oboma gets re-elected.

It's not only guns. It's anything gun related. I've seem people asking more for the ammo than what you can buy it at the store for. Holsters, scopes, ect, ect, go for higher used. Go figure.....

There is currently a Draco listed for $550, and another painted one for $450. Last I checked (5 minutes ago) they were still available for $350 from classic arms (maybe cheaper elsewhere). Another $50 and you get 3 additional magazines and a case. Buyer beware I guess.

But if you can't wait a few days to get it?
Or don't want to deal w/ the FFL? (that part scares me a bit)

Here are some things to consider. You purchase the gun online, a lot of places charge 2-3% for using plastic. The draco is a heavy handgun and it must go air or USPS insured. $30-$50 to ship air. The dealer is going to have a transfer/background fee. It all adds up pretty fast. Firearms always seam high to the buyer and low to the seller. Kind of like buying a house or selling a house.

If you are using Gunbroker for the value of a particular firearm, look under the "Going, Going Gone" listings. That gives a realistic price paid in past auctions, not the wishful "Buy it Now" values some people place on there items.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top