An Interesting Statistical Story

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Mr2000, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Mr2000

Mr2000
    Grants Pass, OR

asdf

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    aksu747, handydan918, DMax and 6 others like this.
  2. DMax

DMax
    Yamhill

Start an email and send it around the world especially to everyones liberal friends or you could post it on the petition Gov website and talk about using it against them

3. Keane

Keane
    Hillsboro, OR

I'm curious... what happens when you adjust that to be 'per capita' average instead of total? I only ask because liberals will, CA and NY have really high ratings, yet also have a TON of people. It isn't terribly fair to compare them to Wyoming or something on a strict killed-count.

Lush and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Mr2000

Mr2000
    Grants Pass, OR

@Keane: I agree entirely and I'm working on those numbers. Problem is I'm tired and just that bit of info I threw out took forever to properly research and develop. I will do my best to get the per capita numbers up soon.

Lush and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Keane

Keane
    Hillsboro, OR

Thanks! The info you've got is still very interesting. If we still come out ahead after you break down the per-capita numbers, I wonder how you argue against them? They'd have to come up with some sort of reason why guns alone don't cause crime, and there ya go!

Interestingly, I had an acquaintance go on a bit of an anti-gun rant on facebook, and after moving the goals a bunch he started name calling. I called him out on it, and we're no longer facebook friends :) Quite handy way for that to work out, eh?

6. 8ball

8ball
    WA
    Quit talkin' and start chalking!

You need to do the analysis per capita, and over time. Is a high crime rate and gun control linked by causation or is it a correlation? From what I've read, it's the latter e.g. gun control is an (ineffective) response to historical high crime rates.

7. Keane

Keane
    Hillsboro, OR

I just did a BUNCH of work (I used different numbers), and scatter-plotted the relationship between Brady ranking & Murder/Non-Negligent Homicide per-capita. I chose this because it seemed the most honest, and I didn't see an area in the FBI chart I had that showed broken up by state & weapon.

Both the HIGHEST crime state and LOWEST crime state are low Brady ratings. All of the higher Brady ranked states are fairly evenly distributed. In fact, the only thing I found of interest is that Louisiana has the highest rate in this category, yet only a 2!

I did the same with Violent crime rate, and noticed no association between violent crime and brady rating.

It seems that a high Brady Rating doesn't DO anything, but it isn't a negative either.

My conclusion is that gun control has no noticeable effect.