JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A couple of weekends ago, a local town, Stamford, held its annual Georgian/Regency re-enactment long weekend. Apart from the presence of a large number of Georgian military personages, representing the many local regiments of cavalry and infantry of the Napoleonic War period, there were a few civilians with sporting arms of the day to demonstrate for us.

This rather fine piece was one of them, from a dealer in our town that I had never heard of before. It is .45cal and has not only a roller frizzen, but an internal roller on the fly - a VERY finely-made lock that is a copy of one by Henry Nock. With the PA zip-code plainly maked on it, and a spurious date - the real Daniel Boyer was not born until 1801, it's a bit of a mystery, although without doubt it is a rifle of very high quality in every respect.

upload_2017-10-11_11-44-15.png upload_2017-10-11_11-46-27.png upload_2017-10-11_11-46-2.png upload_2017-10-11_11-45-33.png upload_2017-10-11_11-47-31.png

upload_2017-10-11_11-44-53.png

tac

Interesting rifle tac ...wish I could see it in person.
It looks to be a excellent rifle...whatever the date of it 1800's or 20th century replica.

Not sure what to make of it ...
The pin with a escutcheon is a "late" period ( circa 1800's) feature ( generally speaking) ...
But the wood patch box is earlier ( again generally speaking)...
The ramrod tip appears to have a covered tip or jag...this is unusual for the ramrod to have on the "muzzle end" of the ramrod...( unless the ramrod is in backwards in this case )
Also the caliber of .45 is suspect ...I have seen many , many rifles in .47 and .46 calibers ...plus quite a few .44's and .42 calibers ...but a true .45 caliber is uncommon.
I did not see a lot of wear around the lock nor get a good look at the touch hole...was there much evidence of wear at the touch hole?...or a vent hole liner?
The sights also appear too tall for a 1800's era rifle...

To my eye it looks like a very well crafted replica from the 1970's or so....Maybe with some antique parts used
That said , it is difficult to say for sure with out seeing the rifle in person , so I could just as easily be wrong.
Andy
Edit to add : I'm not knocking the rifle's looks....it is very pretty.

Last Edited:
Bob, the owner, was in no way intending to pass it off as an original - it was he who pointed out to me the anachronism of the 'PA' with the way-too-early date. The thing really is a work of art, from its swamped barrel to the fine detail of the guttering along the barrel channel - a most unusual feature that I've never seen before anywhere, but then I've only had one similar rifle, and that has long gone. As he shoots it, and it IS a replication, and IS rifled, it is on his RFD licence as a modern reproduction, rather than an original. I'd love the chance to shoot it and I've invited him to come along to the range one day and do just that. I might even get to shoot it myself!!! There will be photos and movies if that happens, of that you can be sure!

Best

tac

There used to be an older, than I am, gentleman who attended the WAC Gunshows. I've only been to his place s couple of times over the years and have no clue just where but Tacoma is my guess. One of the few things I remember is that since the .45 caliber was uncommon he chose to build his Rifles in that so there was no question. Just wish I could remember his name. He truly controlled the BP Hunting Season and regs here in WA.

Great looking Rifle!!!

One of the few things I remember is that since the .45 caliber was uncommon he chose to build his Rifles in that so there was no question.

I applaud that guys decision. A couple woodworkers famous for their high-end reproductions deliberately incorporate subtle evidence of their modern manufacturer [these are hand tool guys]. The initial buyer understands, but the makers want to ensure that a future owner doesn't use some black wax and dirt to age the appearance and pass their work off as an antique.

There are replicas, and tributes, but this takes it to a whole diffrent level! Awesome rifle tac. Every now and then we get a chance to see an extra special piece of gun makers art, and when its done to the level this one was, that takes it beyond "just" a copy of and makes it stand entirely on its own! I would lobe to re works of this makers art, if you.ever run into any more, be sure to post pictures please!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top