JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sigh....here I was hoping that I was clear in my meaning.

I was just trying to post why I and some others may not care for the AK47 series of rifles.

Speaking only for myself here :
My dislike is of a personal nature...been shot at too many times by someone with an AK type rifle and have seen too many people killed by users of the same...to really like said rifle
That said...
It does not mean that I am against folks owning the rifle...Just 'cause I don't like a rifle , doesn't mean anything....other than I don't like it.

And with all that said...enjoy the thread ....I am done as my words and posts here seem to be misunderstood.
Andy

I get it, I just don't see it from that perspective. Cause otherwise every handgun where I used to live would have a negative stigma in my mind. Basically never slept near windows a for a long long time though.

Sigh....here I was hoping that I was clear in my meaning.

I was just trying to post why I and some others may not care for the AK47 series of rifles.

Speaking only for myself here :
My dislike is of a personal nature...been shot at too many times by someone with an AK type rifle and have seen too many people killed by users of the same...to really like said rifle
That said...
It does not that I am against folks owning the rifle...Just 'cause I don't like a rifle , doesn't mean anything....other than I don't like it.

And with all that said...enjoy the thread ....I am done as my words and posts here seem to be misunderstood.
Andy
Totally get it. Many of our current enemies including what's left of ISIS still use AKs and I get it. But the world is a very complicated place and in all the mess of war, I have to try to see objectively. But I haven't been in a war and I understand why someone would be turned off by it given those circumstances. I will say that the AK is an incredible design for combat type use. They just seem to keep running

A few AK variants I'd like to own.

Molot Vepr Hunter 7.62x54R
wm_4650206.jpg
Or the 223
iber-rifle-walnut-stock-two-5-rounds-magazines_600.jpg

Frankly, who wants an AK anyway? A few years back there were people shooting at American Soldiers with those things. An average Winchester Model -94 is a MUCH better Firearm, so why not but American? Who needs all the garbage some idiot thinks YOU need for that kind of JUNK anyway? Not ME!!!
People shoot at American soldiers with lots of things, including M-16s, ww2 surplus Mausers and Lee-Enfields. Only someone lacking in experience would trash the AK system and call them "junk".. Comparing an AK with a Winnie-94 is comparing two different systems. There were reasons that the US military did NOT choose the lever rifles for military use. That said, the AK is a reasonably accurate 300 yard+ personal defense weapon, quick-firing and useful against multiple opponents. It is simple to use, rugged and built to last on successive battlefields if necessary, with minimal maintenance. Much of the discussion in this thread has been about obtaining US-made AKs, so why the violent outburst of ignorant AK-hate?

People shoot at American soldiers with lots of things, including M-16s, ww2 surplus Mausers and Lee-Enfields. Only someone lacking in experience would trash the AK system and call them "junk".. Comparing an AK with a Winnie-94 is comparing two different systems. There were reasons that the US military did NOT choose the lever rifles for military use. That said, the AK is a reasonably accurate 300 yard+ personal defense weapon, quick-firing and useful against multiple opponents. It is simple to use, rugged and built to last on successive battlefields if necessary, with minimal maintenance. Much of the discussion in this thread has been about obtaining US-made AKs, so why the violent outburst of ignorant AK-hate?

Kind of funny that the Imperial Russian government did order lever action rifles as military arms.

Always wondered where those Winchesters are hidden.

The Russians used a lever action in 7.62x54r, had a detachable magazine.

They ended up changing later on due to imports and costs. But all that is history.

Ar's going away? The army has toyed with replacements but we've seen how well that's gone. Ak's are all of....10 years older?
Its not going away like the AR, as in neither are going away. Both are designs that are stubbornly going on still. Sorry if you misread that?

It's the opposite for me, I was all set to get an SLR-104FR and a 5.45x39 AR upper to take advantage of the cheap ammo, I'm glad I didn't I would have been so pissed.
I only got 5.45 cause alpha clone, otherwise 5.56 and 7.62x39 all the way.
I read it the same way he did.
Wasn't the way I meant it though. Both designs went through changes, and both are too stubborn to go away.

Beginning to think the U.S and Russia are the most stubborn countries when it comes down to the standard issue rifles.

I only got 5.45 cause alpha clone, otherwise 5.56 and 7.62x39 all the way.

It's a great little round and when it was cheap it made good sense, but now I don't need a third caliber to feed.

Wasn't the way I meant it though. Both designs went through changes, and both are too stubborn to go away.

Beginning to think the U.S and Russia are the most stubborn countries when it comes down to the standard issue rifles.

I get it now that you mentioned it in you above post to @hatchj, but that's not how it registered when I first read it.

"There's a reason its not going away like the AR."
Makes it clear comparing to...
"There's a reason its not going away unlike the AR."

The Russians used a lever action in 7.62x54r, had a detachable magazine.

Please do tell me what model that was, as I am only familiar with the 1895 Winchester which has a fixed magazine, and the 7.62x54R version which has charger guides for the use of stripper clips.

Please do tell me what model that was, as I am only familiar with the 1895 Winchester which has a fixed magazine, and the 7.62x54R version which has charger guides for the use of stripper clips.
Woops, yeah I was thinking or somethinf else. The 1895 was the one they had and you were right.
It's a great little round and when it was cheap it made good sense, but now I don't need a third caliber to feed.

I get it now that you mentioned it in you above post to @hatchj, but that's not how it registered when I first read it.

"There's a reason its not going away like the AR."
Makes it clear comparing to...
"There's a reason its not going away unlike the AR."
I drive a truck, not teach english. If it isn't "get this sh!t off my trailer" its not needed in my vocabulary.

That is true about being stubborn and they both work... AR and AK platforms... cost effective, easy to use, basic field stripping and ammunition is lighter and cheaper than other battlefield rifles... if a manufacturer was smart they would make an ergonomic, easy field stripped, user friendly, accurate lightweight, 18-20 bull pup rifle! Think Tavor XM95 but better... 308, 300 BO, 5.56, variants! And a better trigger and a 15 deg grip more like a 1911 instead of that ridiculous 25 degrees of the SAR and that ludicrous trigger guard!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top