JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a James River '74 that was built on Bulgarian Circle 10 kit. The paper doesn't lie, that rifle will outshoot my AR's (as much as I hate to admit it).

I had a 1982 WASR-10/63 before, and that one shot very well, never FTF, accuracy was easily on par with a cherry /26\ Norinco SKS that I had. I never understood why people said the WASR was junk. It was nothing but reliable and precise in my hands.
CAI converts them to take double stack mags and it caused some to have a bit too much wobble. But after they got the hang of it, the wasr ran in spite of reputation. AK people can be weird sometimes too. They'll insult the wasr over canted sights, while Arsenals have canted sights too.

The irony is, Cugir's QC improved and most new wasr-10s have straight sights! Haven't seen a canted sight on a new one yet.

When I started getting in to firearms I dismissed AKs as cheap rifles for shooting cheap trashy ammo and didn't give them a second glance. It's unfortunate that they have such reputation with many people, as well as getting a bad reputation as the "weapon of terrorists," etc.

Once I actually started buying and shooting AKs I realized what a load of garbage that perception was. AKs are not trashy inaccurate rifles for bump firing, even though they get treated that way by some owners. After putting in the hours behind some AKs I think of them as easy to handle, easy to maintain and clean, and elegantly simplistic. It is not the sign of cheap design, but rather smart design. The AR-15 honestly seems over complicated and delicate by comparison, especially the charging handle and buffer arrangements. The cheap imported bimetallic ammo makes AKs easy to practice with and provides somewhere in 2-3 MOA groups at 100 yards; more than enough for classes, defense, and range distances. It is almost as economical to shoot as 9mm, which opens up a lot of practice and training opportunities.

ak-00.jpg
Left to right: Vepr 12 ga., Vepr 7.62x39, Vepr 5.45x39, Arsenal SAM7SF (7.62x39), Arsenal SAM7SF, Arsenal SLR-104UR (5.45x39), Rifle Dynamics custom RD503 classic (5.45x39), Zastava N -PAP (7.62x39).

krink-00.jpg
Arsenal SLR-107UR SBR "krink" currently in jail plus Dead Air Wolverine PBS-1 suppressor (not pictured) to use as a combination.

I am not exclusively an AK person; I have many other platforms as well that I enjoy, but I just find myself going to the AKs most often. With work, you can take an AK with basic irons and perform just as well as people with AR-15s and magnified optics at 100 yards.

Regarding the Arsenals all of mine arrived shooting smoother and with no issues versus the Century import guns, which needed a little work. But the N-PAP with an ALG AKT-EL trigger, replacement springs, grip, etc. is quite nice now. To the original point, all the AKs above have a different character and are not the same.

I finally ended up with an Arsenal SAM7SF after dealing with Century Arms C39V2 junk. Expensive lesson learned there, but I finally have an AK that will last forever. I shoot it more than my AR.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm in the spot where I have to determine where I want to spend my money on an AK. Assuming I was only to buy ONE and I wanted to spend under $1k, what am I looking at?

I don't want the PSA or CAI... nothing good has ever come from me buying the cheapest of anything. But do I really need to spend the extra for an Arsenal? I've seen Polish, Romanian, you name it... just trying to see what to avoid. One thing for sure is that AKs have gotten a lot more expensive. Everybody talks about 10 to 15 years ago they picked up this or that for $300 now the average price seems around $800.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm in the spot where I have to determine where I want to spend my money on an AK. Assuming I was only to buy ONE and I wanted to spend under $1k, what am I looking at?

I don't want the PSA or CAI... nothing good has ever come from me buying the cheapest of anything. But do I really need to spend the extra for an Arsenal? I've seen Polish, Romanian, you name it... just trying to see what to avoid. One thing for sure is that AKs have gotten a lot more expensive. Everybody talks about 10 to 15 years ago they picked up this or that for $300 now the average price seems around $800.
Just get a wasr-10.

SAR-1 Romarm Romanian AK-47 with 6 Magazines

I see Arsenals in $1K or less range, you just need to keep you eyes open and be patient.
Arsenal SLR-106F 5.56X.45 NATO
Arsenal SLR-107FR 7.62x39

That SAR-1 is a solid gun, I've had three once a upon a time, still have one. If I was in the market for and AK I'd jump on it, I am not and still thinking about it.

I see Arsenals in $1K or less range, you just need to keep you eyes open and be patient.
Arsenal SLR-106F 5.56X.45 NATO
Arsenal SLR-107FR 7.62x39

That SAR-1 is a solid gun, I've had three once a upon a time, still have one. If I was in the market for and AK I'd jump on it, I am not and still thinking about it.
Looks like that 7.62 sold. I've been eyeing the SAR as well. Would be my only AK but gotta have at least one.

Looks like that 7.62 sold. I've been eyeing the SAR as well. Would be my only AK but gotta have at least one.

I knew it sold just showing you can find them for under a grand.

There's another SAR-1 around for about $650. It's got some funky furniture and extra but that's easy to fix, I'll see if I can find it. Are you after a 7.62 only?

I knew it sold just showing you can find them for under a grand.

There's another SAR-1 around for about $650. It's got some funky furniture and extra but that's easy to fix, I'll see if I can find it. Are you after a 7.62 only?
Yeah pretty locked onto 7.62 for an AK

Pretty happy with my WASR-10 and I have fired over 400 rounds out it now. I am in process of refinishing my surplus Romanian wood furniture now and I am in the sanding stage now.

Frankly, who wants an AK anyway? A few years back there were people shooting at American Soldiers with those things. An average Winchester Model -94 is a MUCH better Firearm, so why not but American? Who needs all the garbage some idiot thinks YOU need for that kind of JUNK anyway? Not ME!!!

Frankly, who wants an AK anyway? A few years back there were people shooting at American Soldiers with those things. An average Winchester Model -94 is a MUCH better Firearm, so why not but American? Who needs all the garbage some idiot thinks YOU need for that kind of JUNK anyway? Not ME!!!

:rolleyes:

A few years back?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with being semi-proficient with the enemy's weapon.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top