JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an E. German wire folder on my SAR-1, I just like much better than the Romy.

One of the original reasons is considering buying the over priced Zenitco stuff was because I wanted to remove all wood and plastic.
I like wood, but if my buddy can ever set a time to go out on the land to hunt, its rain or shine. So wood might not be the best idea for my go to AK.

I know a lot people hate them and I totally understand why but the worst for a brutal cheek weld has to be the under-folders, but I guess if you're shooting from the hip with a folded stock who gives a rip.
There's a guy who makes cheek bars for the wire folders. It sits slightly higher than the average wood stock.

A smooth top cover+Williams rear+8/32 bolts+8/32 tap=rear aperture as opposed to notch and blade.

But you lose the utility of the elevation of the leaf sight.

No. For starters lets talk about Century Arms. The only AKs they themselves make are the RAS47, C39V2, and the American Draco. Those I would urge you to avoid, as they don't offer you anything for the dollar.

They IMPORT the following: Wasr-10 (and they use weak wood for 922r), the Romanian Draco, and NPAP (but no longer on their site so maybe no longer). The wasr-10 is the best bang for the buck now. The wasr-10/63 was built by Cugir with military parts on a new receiver with new barrel, outside of Cugir's own QC (canted sights), most of the issues was from CAI making the magwells too wide as AKs are imported with single stack magwells.

Arsenal currently imports Bulgarian AKs, atm mostly just 7.62x39 and 5.56. They do get canted sights too, but they're held in higher regard. Are they the best bang for the buck? IMHO, not for 7.62x39 but hell they're worth it regardless.

Then you have Riley Defense and PSA, making American made AKs... They're new so who knows the long term with them. Given I.O and CAI's mess, its better to wait and see.

Course there's the older ones, but outside of collectors there isn't much...

Now then, not hard to see which ones to get. :D
Its so easy a caveman can do it. :D

Nuh uhh, Cavemans already cornfused (drinking whiskey).:eek::eek::eek::p

Nuh uhh, Cavemans already cornfused (drinking whiskey).:eek::eek::eek::p
Wasr, arsenal, or atlantic firearms build. There you go. ;)

Or build your own, but AKs aren't cheap to build... Or easy (compared to the AR). Especially if you build from a flat, as you have to heat treat it yourself then. But you get to add dimples on a flat.

Or build your own, but AKs aren't cheap to build... Or easy (compared to the AR). Especially if you build from a flat, as you have to heat treat it yourself then. But you get to add dimples on a flat.

No matter how much info there is on AK's they are just not in my scope of guns I prefer.
Thanks for all the advice on them though.;)

The only AK I have ever had problems with was the Galil clone offered by CAI - the Golani. The build quality is good, it is almost a Galil except the sights are not tritium, something that is easily added.

The problem is that whoever actually manufactured the rifle probably made the gas port too large as about ever 50 rounds the rim is partially torn off the cartridge where the extractor grabs it. I think there is too much gas too soon. The case is not stuck in the chamber and the chamber does not seem to be too small or not polished. Ejection is energetic and brass is flung out quite a ways.

So I am thinking I will try a KNS adjustable gas piston.

But trust CAI to screw up even an AK.:rolleyes:

The only AK I have ever had problems with was the Galil clone offered by CAI - the Golani. The build quality is good, it is almost a Galil except the sights are not tritium, something that is easily added.

The problem is that whoever actually manufactured the rifle probably made the gas port too large as about ever 50 rounds the rim is partially torn off the cartridge where the extractor grabs it. I think there is too much gas too soon. The case is not stuck in the chamber and the chamber does not seem to be too small or not polished. Ejection is energetic and brass is flung out quite a ways.

So I am thinking I will try a KNS adjustable gas piston.

But trust CAI to screw up even an AK.:rolleyes:
Generally one should stick to their imports. Their builds are built by monkeys. :rolleyes:

This the only I ever see me building an AK...
2019 Class Schedule
...or buying another one for that matter (unless it is something special).

I know a lot people hate them and I totally understand why but the worst for a brutal cheek weld has to be the under-folders.
Most people fire an AK incorrectly. This is because they think they are shooting an AR or some other type of rifle. My only problem with the wire stock; (besides I don't like it) is in the cold weather. Paracord solves this problem.

Now as far as the overall thread... Arsenal are good, you can get WASR 10, Atlantic Firearms partial build, find used ones for sale all over the place, and then try the CAI all US-made. I have owned 3 CAI Ras-47 with Magpul furniture and put approximately 3k rounds through two and like 100 rounds through the third. Had zero issues with any of them but I don't own any of them anymore. Why has nothing to do with any issues with them. Most people are not going to put 3k or more rounds through them.

My suggestion is to buy the WASR or Atlantic Firearms unless you have enough for Arsenal. If you spent $1000 or more on an AR then why go cheap with an AK? As far as the optic issues... Ultimak is nice for the forward red dot. Always remember though that the AK is very front/ muzzle heavy. So don't try and put too much out there on the front.

Next is the making an AK look like an AR. You can go that way or decide not to. All about personal preference. There is a gambit of pros and cons either way. A com-stock is a great option. It was designed for wearing heavier clothes and still giving a somewhat comfortable shot. Con of the com bloc stock is what happens when you don't have a bunch of clothing (heavy jacket, flak jacket or whatever). Adjustable AR type stock gives you more options for your clothing and therefore allows for a higher amount of different length of pull. If you want the AR stock then go to Carolina shooters supply. Or just click on this link.
Wide Variety of AK-47 Receiver Adapters amnd Receiver Blocks for Sale

You can also get a Midwest industries hand guard. Here is also a good website for AK stuff and he is a good guy.

AK Operators Union Store

Honestly I have this as my only AK a Romarm SAR-1 and when I am done with my financial issues I am getting a WASR and putting on an AR stock and what not; followed by building my own AKM with a 15 ton press etc.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Most people fire an AK incorrectly. This is because they think they are shooting an AR or some other type of rifle. My only problem with the wire stock; (besides I don't like it) is in the cold weather. Paracord solves this problem.

Now as far as the overall thread... Arsenal are good, you can get WASR 10, Atlantic Firearms partial build, find used ones for sale all over the place, and then try the CAI all US-made. I have owned 3 CAI Ras-47 with Magpul furniture and put approximately 3k rounds through two and like 100 rounds through the third. Had zero issues with any of them but I don't own any of them anymore. Why has nothing to do with any issues with them. Most people are not going to put 3k or more rounds through them.

My suggestion is to buy the WASR or Atlantic Firearms unless you have enough for Arsenal. If you spent $1000 or more on an AR then why go cheap with an AK? As far as the optic issues... Ultimak is nice for the forward red dot. Always remember though that the AK is very front/ muzzle heavy. So don't try and put too much out there on the front.

Next is the making an AK look like an AR. You can go that way or decide not to. All about personal preference. There is a gambit of pros and cons either way. A com-stock is a great option. It was designed for wearing heavier clothes and still giving a somewhat comfortable shot. Con of the com bloc stock is what happens when you don't have a bunch of clothing (heavy jacket, flak jacket or whatever). Adjustable AR type stock gives you more options for your clothing and therefore allows for a higher amount of different length of pull. If you want the AR stock then go to Carolina shooters supply. Or just click on this link.
Wide Variety of AK-47 Receiver Adapters amnd Receiver Blocks for Sale

You can also get a Midwest industries hand guard. Here is also a good website for AK stuff and he is a good guy.

AK Operators Union Store

Honestly I have this as my only AK a Romarm SAR-1 and when I am done with my financial issues I am getting a WASR and putting on an AR stock and what not; followed by building my own AKM with a 15 ton press etc.
View attachment 487995 View attachment 487996 View attachment 487997 View attachment 487998View attachment 487999 View attachment 488000
I used to see some rubber pads that were meant to be placed on the wire folder when you weren't wearing the heavy clothing. No idea if it was aftermarket or not though.

Tbh, I had to get a cheek bar because I can't just use irons. At least, not until I can afford lasik or something. Trust me, you DON'T want to trust me to not break prescription glasses either, so the bar it is!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top