JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"An AK is an AK?" Okay. That's pretty much what I thought when I decided...."I got me an AR, NOW I need an AK". I had little info, but I'm the kinda guy that doesn't get the most expensive, or the least expensive. I was watching Atlantic firearms and looking at all the AKs. I finally found one that looked good to me, and bought it. I'm not even sure what you would call it? I remember it's made from an original polish parts kit, "With just enough parts to make it legal in the US". LOL Anyway, it's been flawless through close to 300 rounds and I can hit a 10" gong with it at 100 yard every shot if I do my job. The nickle plating on the bolt carrier has flaked off where it hits the hammer to reset it, but that's all that's flaky with it. It has an 11 in a circle with the date of 1968 beside it, and Morrissey Inc on the bottom of the receiver so I guess that means that was made in the US.

I'm guessing it is one of these, I've had it for about three years now, I think.
POLISH-AK47 RIFLE

Sounds like I could have ended up getting a piece O' crap AK?
If you go in without research pretty much. Atlantic Firearms is a good business, and won't do you wrong. They know how to build AKs, and their Polish builds are good.

I was trying to keep it to non parts kit builds.

See? I'm so green I didn't even realize I was crapping on your thread! o_O Sorry about that.
Just means more options for people if its brought up. Lee Armory builds are okay, but they got some drama over at the files. IMHO, factory is best as it usually means it has a CHF chrome lined barrel. Atlantic's Polish builds use FB Radom barrels. But the their Romanian builds use a nitrided barrel.

One can "modernize" the AK. Zenitco, which is expensive but worth it, makes rail setups for the AK. Zenit is Russian, and they have worked with special forces to make a product that suits them, or so its claimed.
3D51D15C-9B14-4C89-B372-D5B050A5D48C.jpeg
Then there's this one. This is an AK with a TDI X47 rail. CAA makes the same rail, but costs a lot more. The TDI one is $200, but its only FDE. This one is an Israeli design.
DEB1AD41-09EA-49B1-A822-E91B7701D678.jpeg

They're relatively easy to find now. Just expensive.

Probably easier to get the zenit furniture than the TDI rail tbh. The TDI upper rail does not hinge though.

Screw the TDI. If fact I was more interested in the hand guard assembly then a railed dust cover. One of the strengths of an AK is the ability to rapidly and fully access workings by remove the dust cover, which is why I prefer forward mounted optics or standard sight configurations on them. The reality is one can mount an AP Micro and SF M300 on an Ultimak and save a ton of weight and money.

Screw the TDI. If fact I was more interested in the hand guard assembly then a railed dust cover. One of the strengths of an AK is the ability to rapidly and fully access workings by remove the dust cover, which is why I prefer forward mounted optics or standard sight configurations on them. The reality is one can mount an AP Micro and SF M300 on an Ultimak and save a ton of weight and money.
The TDI is less for red dot more for magnified optics. You can still remove the dust cover, the issue is the AR stock adapter, it really only works with theirs (but its cheaper anyways so take from that what you will).

One can just use the siderail too.

The TDI is less for red dot more for magnified optics. You can still remove the dust cover, the issue is the AR stock adapter, it really only works with theirs (but its cheaper anyways so take from that what you will).

One can just use the siderail too.

I will never believe a dust cover is worthy of a magnified optic.

Yes but that limits the aforementioned rapid access, though IMO is a better option.

That's the reason the TDI is more for magnified optic, the upper rail is not on the dust cover itself.

I think we're dancing around the same thing from different angles. I said screw TDI because it blocks the action from access even with the dust cover removed, if I was going to use magnified optic or a red dot larger than a Micro I used the standard side mount and the appropriate RS Regulate optic mount, it still blocks access but is easily removed and replaced without tools. My dust cover comment was more related to the Zenit, as well as stuff like the Texas Dog Leg.

I think we're dancing around the same thing from different angles. I said screw TDI because it blocks the action from access even with the dust cover removed, if I was going to use magnified optic or a red dot larger than a Micro I used the standard side mount and the appropriate RS Regulate optic mount, it still blocks access but is easily removed and replaced without tools. My dust cover comment was more related to the Zenit, as well as stuff like the Texas Dog Leg.
Zenit is much better than TWS as Zenit hinges on the handguard. Well, the part it hinges on is attached to the handguard.

As for access with TDI, its still pretty easy.

Its mostly a non issue. Its easy to take off the cover and get in. The thing with TDI is just what you get for cost vs zenitco, rs regulate, etc.

The issue that matters most is if you use an AR stock adapter, most will cause it to have issues accessing internals. Only the TDI adapter works with it.

As for durability, that's something you'd have to ask the Russkies or Israelis. For just a scope, best bang for the dollar are mounts like the BP-02.

Its mostly a non issue. Its easy to take off the cover and get in. The thing with TDI is just what you get for cost vs zenitco, rs regulate, etc.

The issue that matters most is if you use an AR stock adapter, most will cause it to have issues accessing internals. Only the TDI adapter works with it.

As for durability, that's something you'd have to ask the Russkies or Israelis. For just a scope, best bang for the dollar are mounts like the BP-02.

I'm not sure I get this whole make every weapon have an AR style stock mind set. It really is one of the weaker setups out there. I just run combloc length stocks and all is good. I don't need my AKs to emulate my ARs

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top