JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw it, used, at a local broker and like the design, although the finish looks like cast/pot metal, hoping I can brush that out myself if I get it.

The shop keeper said they were a hit and miss item and because the company is no longer, the only warranty would be the stores 60 day. The things that pop up on a google search, however, lead me to believe that there were more with issue than without.

Of course it's always the bad eggs that get the most forum publicity. Still, just curious if anyone can give me more insight.

Sounds like the first run were the most problematic because of safety concerns amd jamming. I'm hoping that the second edition got it right. Any owner experience out there?

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk

Stainless steel not pot metal. is it a dao or sao model? I had a sao and after replacing the spring and polishing it was ok - was a beotch to figure out since the original owner had tried to lesson trigger pull by modding the hammer/trigger spring which also holds in the magazine - magazine kept falling out on first shot. Also factory mag was the only one that worked....basically it's an ok stainless bug but i wouldn't pay too much since it's still a sns IMO.

Hear the DAO have a horrid trigger pull LOL.

I have an iAi (AMT) back up. They are stainless steel, as said by Toxic6. He also stated the factory mag is the only one that works, my experience has been the same. I have two factory & two aftermarket mags, I can not get the aftermarket mags to function, "AT ALL"!!!! Other than that, it is, what it is, a pocket pistol. I can keep it on target (if it's big enough) & it cycles very reliably. I'm still working on getting the spent case to stop hitting me in the forehead on the way out!:s0114: I have done a little work to mine, it didn't really "need" it, but I, Lapped the slide & polished the feed ramp. all in all, I really like my "back up"!:s0155:

i had the 45 amt backup,as said before many jams and the hardest trigger pull i have ever felt,i think it must be a 14lb trigger.
i traded mine to the crooks at gun broker in tigard for $145 off on my glock23.
it was not really a fun gun too shoot,it takes a toll on your hands and since it misfeeds alot it is not a reliable carry piece.
guess thats why they called it .45 backup?

It is the SAO, or so the shopman said. I know its stainless but it looks like unfinished cast garbage. I'll probably polish the ramp as well. Think I very well may do it. I was goong back and forth between it and the Jimenez 380.

ja-380 is potmetal, ala davis p380 iirc. still ok for what it is but i'd take the stainless if the price was the same. I never had any issues with my sao being carried loaded - it won't shoot unless you pull the trigger (if it is in good shape internally). I can't say the same on the davis designs....straight striker fire vs an internal hammer.

ja-380 is potmetal, ala davis p380 iirc. still ok for what it is but i'd take the stainless if the price was the same. I never had any issues with my sao being carried loaded - it won't shoot unless you pull the trigger (if it is in good shape internally). I can't say the same on the davis designs....straight striker fire vs an internal hammer.

My boss has the ja.22 and I love it. Thats what got me thinking about it. That and the price is right at only 150. This AMT is used and they're asking 300.

i had the 45 amt backup,as said before many jams and the hardest trigger pull i have ever felt,i think it must be a 14lb trigger.
i traded mine to the crooks at gun broker in tigard for $145 off on my glock23.
it was not really a fun gun too shoot,it takes a toll on your hands and since it misfeeds alot it is not a reliable carry piece.
guess thats why they called it .45 backup?
I agree, I picked one up and tried pulling the trigger, there was no way I could have kept it on target and fired it without two fingers pulling the trigger.

At $300 there are some way better options out there, a lot of options really
Now, I could totally understand falling for the AMT's, like the chick in a bad relationship with the "but I can change him!" attitude, we've all looked at the pretty guns with a bad reputation thinking "I can make it work, and it would be totally worth it"

now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find an Intratec Scorpian ;)

The only issues I've experienced with mine, is failure to feed. most of my FTF problems were caused by the after market mags, & the rest of my FTFs were from using TULA ammo.
There seems to be allot of talk about heavy trigger pull. I just put a gauge on mine. I't came in at 6.5lbs, not a great pull, but not bad for a "pocket pistol", if you consider that there is very little trigger movement.
I feel it's important to remember that it's called a "BACKUP"! I don't carry this as my main carry piece, but for what it's intended for, it's been a great little pistol!

The only issues I've experienced with mine, is failure to feed. most of my FTF problems were caused by the after market mags, & the rest of my FTFs were from using TULA ammo.
There seems to be allot of talk about heavy trigger pull. I just put a gauge on mine. I't came in at 6.5lbs, not a great pull, but not bad for a "pocket pistol", if you consider that there is very little trigger movement.
I feel it's important to remember that it's called a "BACKUP"! I don't carry this as my main carry piece, but for what it's intended for, it's been a great little pistol!

So how can I tell if the mags that come with it are aftermarket or factory?

The Factory mag's finger extension, is stainless steel. I "believe" all the aftermarket mags, have a plastic one.

Thank you very much for your continued help on this.

I know I shoud take everyone's advice and play it smart here, considering the gun's history, the fact that the warranty is void because the company is gone, and especially that it's used, but I just can't help but want to take the gamble with my fingers crossed.

I think I need to set a price limit that I'm willing to pay then haggle. If they wont meet my price, or better it, then I'll walk.away.

If problems were to arise with it, even simply solvable ones, I'd be up a crik for finding parts...

"I" use a Dremel tool with a felt polishing cone & some polishing compound. If you decide to polish the feed ramp, be very careful & do not get inside the chamber.

I bought one of the same model years ago, the main drawback for me was the weight. I do still carry a pocket .380, but now it's a new model Kel-Tec P-3AT (.380 model) & it cost closer to $200 and two kel-tecs probably weigh less than the backup does.

I have an AMT 45 backup in stainless, while the trigger pull is a big much it's always fed , I don't think I've ever had a FTF-
of course now I just jynxed myself.. DOH.

I think they make the trigger pull the way they do because they know how jacked up on adrenialin you're going to be if you need to pull your backup piece :)