JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a really nice Fort knox that's large enough to hold about 1/2 of my ammo as well as firearms. The ammo is much safer in there than in a less fire resistant secondary safe. The rest of the ammo is stored in containers with desiccant packs in a cool dry place. Ammo has become as useful as coinage, so we need to secure it for more than safety reasons.

Have you thought about your ammunition security?

No. I don't even remotely care, because secure enough for responsible ownership and, well, whatever. Panics come and go. And life is beautiful, but painfully short, so no need to worry about such matters.

I have a really nice Fort knox that's large enough to hold about 1/2 of my ammo as well as firearms. The ammo is much safer in there than in a less fire resistant secondary safe. The rest of the ammo is stored in containers with desiccant packs in a cool dry place. Ammo has become as useful as coinage, so we need to secure it for more than safety reasons.
Phred has hit the proverbial nail on the head...
This is the point many miss, ammo's future value for exchanging and bartering. The fiat this government issues is quickly becoming worthless, can't print trillions of dollars at a time and expect to retain value.

I'll keep my ammo for future critical needs, I suspect it'll come in handy...

If your ammo stocks can fit in one safe, you did the last 4 years wrong . . . ;-)

Only ones who are off the hook are those new to guns or who just became old enough, I really feel for you. Everyone else should have been stocking up the last 4 years when prices were ridiculously low. If the prices keep going the way they are, yes the ammo may surpass the value of the guns. 10k of each main caliber . . . I know it sounds like a lot but back when 9mm could be had for $160 per 1k delivered, that would have cost $1600 for 10k rounds. Yes a lot of money, but i bet now people would do some pretty naughty things to get that kind of deal now , . .

Back to ammo worth more than firearms?....If you buy your firearms to shoot them and you do...the price of the firearm is small compared to the ammo you run through it in 10 years or so. It like paying $1, 000 for a nice puppy...it seems like a lot but add up the dog food over the next 12 years.

Ammo has become as useful as coinage, so we need to secure it for more than safety reasons.

Where can I directly exchange my ammunition for lots o' fun and/or valuable stuff? (Asking for a friend ... well, not really. I've got a crapton of 5.56㎜ NATO I'll never use and don't give a rip if I trade it off. :p)

65 or 70% of my ammo supply is reloads. I'm guessing it's not worth much. To me however, it's every bit as good as store-bought. It functions reliably 100% of the time, screams out the barrel of whatever I pull the trigger on, so it's worth a lot to me.

Ive had home loads gave to me that were built by a picky talented chef out of quality ingredients that was better than most store bought ,until you start diggin deep anyway.

On the ammo value note...a couple months back I was pricing .357's on gunbroker, and a box of Black Talon showed up in my search. I didn't think to much about it...until I noticed the ridiculous amount people were bidding on it. Is one box of Black Talon really worth that much???? Maybe I need a new safe... :-/

Forbidden fruit is often quite collectible.

And no my collection of Black Talon is not for sale as it was all a gift from my wife :s0155: when it was discontinued in '93 due to MSM dysfunction. :s0092:

The good news is that prices seems to be leveling ans dropping slightly on the GB.
Over the last couple weeks, buy it now for crazy prices are down, finally prices have dropped 30% I'm some cases.

Someone on another forum said this is the eye of the storm. I think they are correct and we will likely see another panic as the wh attempts to make good on his gun control promises.

Last Edited:
Forbidden fruit is often quite collectible.

And no my collection of Black Talon is not for sale as it was all a gift from my wife :s0155: when it was discontinued in '93 due to MSM dysfunction. :s0092:

I sold all my Black Talon (450 rounds) for about 50-100% more than I paid for it decades ago. SXT/et. al. (which I then bought with the $ I got from selling the BT) is essentially the same projectile, only improved and without the black dye job.

But by all means, hang onto that magic Black Talon ammo. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads