JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With the price of ammunition going through the roof due to supply and demand (hoarding and resellers) is your ammunition worth more then your firearms? If so do you have a separate safe for your ammunition?
Did you kick your beauty's out and replace them with your hoards of ammunition?
What would be worse financially if they stole your guns or ammunition?
Have you thought about your ammunition security?

Just some thoughts

I have a separate safe for ammo because for one thing, there's too much to fit in my gun safe, and also because in case of fire, the firearms have a better chance of surviving a fire without ammo cooking off next to them.

As far as the economics, it's been discussed ad nauseum.

Other than some sentimental value in some of my firearms they are all pretty much worthless without ammo. After living through a few of these crunches I have learned to stockpile a bit of ammo and reloading components to weather the storm. Ammo is stored as before despite it's current inflated worth.

Far more capital is tied up in ammunition here. Both pre and post panic.

Thanks to you guys I stacked deep while things were cheap and now I've been able to help a number of friends.

I do not have as much ammo as I would like to, and that limits my training sessions because i cannot afford to replace what I shoot.
I have a separate safe just for the ammo.

I keep all my ammo in ammo cans in a cabinet with several large shelves in my kitchen. More important than pots and pans. True story.

Ammo on several heavy duty shelves in the garage. I don't care if the neighbors see or not. Passers by the same. If by chance someone sees a few dozen ammo cans in the garage, they know we mean business in this house.

Guns and pistol mags in the safe. Nobody's gonna come after me because a bullet, powder or primer that was stolen from me was used in a crime. They'll totally knock on my door for a firearm with a paper trail. I can let a Pmag walk but I'd be mad if my HK mags went away.

As for raw financial value, it's probably still 10:1 weighted to my guns

My response to a similar thread:

Armed guards.

Guard dogs.

Armed guard dogs.

Security system.

Cameras.

Armed guard dogs with cameras.

...and freakin laser beams!...

Slap a laser beam on a land shark, call it good...:D

snl-6-1260x822.jpg

On the ammo value note...a couple months back I was pricing .357's on gunbroker, and a box of Black Talon showed up in my search. I didn't think to much about it...until I noticed the ridiculous amount people were bidding on it. Is one box of Black Talon really worth that much???? Maybe I need a new safe... :-/

65 or 70% of my ammo supply is reloads. I'm guessing it's not worth much. To me however, it's every bit as good as store-bought. It functions reliably 100% of the time, screams out the barrel of whatever I pull the trigger on, so it's worth a lot to me.

Last Edited:
With the price of ammunition going through the roof due to supply and demand (hoarding and resellers) is your ammunition worth more then your firearms? If so do you have a separate safe for your ammunition?
Did you kick your beauty's out and replace them with your hoards of ammunition?
What would be worse financially if they stole your guns or ammunition?
Have you thought about your ammunition security?

Just some thoughts

I don't know which would be worse being in trouble for shooting an ammo thief or a firearms thief. Oh screw it I have a high rear fence, a flower bed and a shovel.

I agree with TTSX. For many people safety of firearms is more important than safety of ammo, especially for those who do not have little kids to worry about. If your ammo was stolen, you will only loose its $$ value. If your guns were stolen, you will lose many nights of sleep wondering what will happen to you if someone commits a crime using the stolen guns and police traces the guns to you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top