JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
FYI.... when the will was read it was clear to all that SIL inherited all guns, ammo, and firearm related equipment.
Well if this is in fact the case then it is a game changer and stepmom may be to blame.

Not 'backing' 'Louie' but it's possible he may NOT know any of this and stepmom may have just gave him the ammo, or sold it to him cheaply not knowing the value.

How did you (or your SIL) find out about all this ? Lots of detail and I couldn't imagine his stepmom would have told him knowing SHE had done something wrong.

Hello,

I thought that it was directed towards me and that is one reason why I tried to delete what I said.

Since what I wrote was long with explanations and some people here HATE or dislike that about me and what I say.

They can skip over or scan over or put me on ignore. Oh well.

And never mind can be nevermind or vice versa.

So apologies to every single person here if I MESSED UP.

Old Lady Cate

Awwwww, we love you Cate!!

Carry on m'lady!!!!

Didn't bother reading all the posts. But from what I gather,
  • Louie is the salt of the earth, just like MIL.
  • Family doesn't want Po-po involved, as the drama should stay in the family , and the police are too busy to respond
  • So we should expect to see the ammo come up for sale. By chance, is this M855 and M193 ammo I have seen for sale elsewhere?
So, can we arrange with Louie to meet up for the sale, shoot him and take the ammo, and make it an official crime? Where do you want the body dumped? Or should we tie the ammo to his ankles and toss him in the Columbia to feed the sturgeon?

<the above is sarcasm>
If the story, as originally told is correct, sounds like a good beat down is in order. You know, stitches, broken bones and teeth kind of stuff.

If we aren't calling the PoPo, why are we bothering to look for the ammo?

This will accomplish exactly what? If the aggreived will not report the crime, then there IS no crime, so what are we going to do, call the teacher?

Crowbars and alcohol don't really go together well.

I see the victim's moral dilemma. He doesn't want to file a complaint with the PD because his step mother gave the perp permission to steal. The fact that his property was in possession of a third party muddies the waters.

Things I'd have in my mind. The nature of SIL's relationship to his step mother would carry a lot of weight. Some step moms never have a lot of love for another woman's son. Or they might. Another thing is, we know the ammo is pretty valuable now. But it may not seem so much to the PD, local prosecuting attorney, or be worth going after hiring your own counsel for a civil action. You might spend a lot of energy on something like this when the loot in question is already long gone with no hope of restitution. You've got to be real about it.

Something for the rest of us to think about. In my own lifetime, I've seen a few inheritance disasters come about from subsequent marriages. During the course of which children from previous marriage get screwed out of what should be or is lawfully theirs. And by executors who just do what they want and are never called to account for not carrying out the wishes of the decedent. So if you want to see that your children get what's theirs after you're gone, do it right. If you've remarried, what your "first kids" get should be specifically provided for. On paper. If you are interested in a woman who balks at a pre-nup, walk away. Because "love" has various interests. Just my opinion.

Not a lawyer:

1) Ownership of items needs to be established, if this is someone else's house where ammo was stores, unless documentation says otherwise, seems like they would be considered the lawful owner because the items are in their house.

2) Even if ownership is established, if no charges for theft will be filed, seems like a big nothingburger from the start.

3) With the backstory of some dude drinking with the step mom, and then a crowbar being used to break into the ammo cabinet, the whole thing reeks of what my brother in law refers to as: "dirt chickens."

I would definitely call the cops, even if they don't do anything you can have a clear conscience that you tried. You can even call them if your son in law doesn't want to, they will reach out to him as a follow up and if he declines it's on him and no one else.
My guess is Louis has a record. Maybe felon. If the law finds out he gets big trouble and no more slap on the hands.

+, if you can break into a safe with a crow bar it's not much of a "safe" is it?

From what little I understand, nearly any safe can be broken into within a few minutes with the right tools. And that ain't much. Unfortunately, most home safes only require something basic. You can have either security or convenience, which kinda like truth and happiness, rarely occur simultaneously.

Sorry to see these things happen, 'specially with family, even if estranged. :(

From what little I understand, nearly any safe can be broken into within a few minutes with the right tools. And that ain't much. Unfortunately, most home safes only require something basic. You can have either security or convenience, which kinda like truth and happiness, rarely occur simultaneously.

Sorry to see these things happen, 'specially with family, even if estranged. :(
I have a magnet that I can use to open most safes. That's not the reason I have it, but it could be used for that. It could also smash your fingers if you try to use it to open a safe.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads