JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This weekend I was working with a shooter who was struggling with his rifle. Scope was canted and just couldn't seem to get a good zero. We remounted the scope and I put him on sandbags to get a good zero. We made some adjustments but I was still seeing splatter on the target. I started to suspect equipment malfunction or ammunition issues. He asked me to shoot his rifle. We put up a fresh target and I brought 2 mags to the line - 5 rounds of the ammo he brought; 5 rounds of some borrowed ammo.

ammo matters.jpg

I tell people all the time - fix the shooter first, the ammo 2nd and then work on equipment. Most people get it backwards. They spend a ridiculous amount of money on high end gear; buy the cheapest ammunition they can find and refuse to take a class because they 'already know how to shoot'.

I always see guys using Mil Spec ammo and expecting to see match accuracy out of it! Some of it can and often does well enough to quality as accurate and some not so much, mostly depending on the rifle and shooter! To me, Mil Spec is a good way to break in and test a rifles potential, and for fighting iron, a must have qualification, so I never discount Mil Spec as "Cheap" or recommend avoiding it, only to say that certain rifles really should be running hand loads to get the best potential!

I always see guys using Mil Spec ammo and expecting to see match accuracy out of it! Some of it can and often does well enough to quality as accurate and some not so much, mostly depending on the rifle and shooter! To me, Mil Spec is a good way to break in and test a rifles potential, and for fighting iron, a must have qualification, so I never discount Mil Spec as "Cheap" or recommend avoiding it, only to say that certain rifles really should be running hand loads to get the best potential!

I have definitely gotten better results since starting to reload.

I have definitely gotten better results since starting to reload.

Remember that Savage 10 FCP I brought out last time? Even though it was way high and way right ( bad scope mount) with mil spec M-80 ball, it still printed nice clover leafs! Now, Imagine if that rifle can do that good with mil spec what It could do with really good hand loads! :D

Absolutely. Cheap Ammo is fine, and fun, to shoot but generally isn't accurate. I'm currently shooting through my cheap ammo and slowly replacing it with higher quality products. My current favorite brand is IMI.

Of course ammo matters, but It depends what your goal is. Maybe my goal is to maximizing the potential of the gun/ammo combo I'm shooting that day. If I shoot 3-4 MOA using a 3-4 MOA setup, or if I'm shooting offhand, that is a great day at the range. I've had well-meaning but slightly obnoxious people wink and hand me a couple of Match Kings or hand loads and say "now try these", and I will shoot them to satisfy their curiosity. And of course, the holes will touch. Duh. Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Exactly right; shooter, ammo, platform - in that order.

Twenty odd years ago I was at the range and two guys were sighting in their newly acquired .260 Remington rifles and optics; neither could hit an 18" steel clanger at 200 yards from the bench. After a while I allowed my ego to get the better of me and pulled out my Garand; after I hit the target 5 or 6 out of an 8-round clip from standing position and with iron sights, they packed up and went home.

Wasn't the best way to approach the situation, but definitely fun.

Last Edited:
Using this ammo recipe....;)

Yup, I pretty much use the same loadings, cept 168gr Match Kings and my powder for subsonic was Red Dot... I'd like to use Trail Bozz because I think it might be cleaner, but it is more spendy and not as easy to find. And I have an 8lb jug of Red Dot that I don't use much for anything else. Bought it when I was loading .38 practice rds for da wifey.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top