JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I ran across this group while looking for places to buy cheap ammo online (insert irony here).

About Us

Ammunition Accountability is a newly forming group of ammunition coding technology supporters. Our group includes gun crime victims, industry representatives, law enforcement, public officials, public policy experts, and more. We are working together to pass legislation to make ammunition coding technology a reality.

Ammunition coding technology works by laser etching the back of each bullet with an alpha-numeric serial number. Then when a potential criminal purchases a box of 9mm cartridges, the box of ammunition and the bullets’ coding numbers would be connected to the purchaser in a statewide database. When a bullet is found at a crime scene, the code on the bullet can be read with a simple magnifying glass and then be run through a statewide database to determine who purchased the ammunition and where, providing a valuable investigative lead.

A link to legislation they are proposing (including WA State): http://www.ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

Always good to know what the other side is doing...

Also, looks like it has a local connection - the guys who patented this technology couldn't get any ammo manufacturers to go along with it, so they're trying to force acceptance through legislation. They're just concerned about crime and public safety... and their wallets. :s0154:

the guys who patented this technology couldn't get any ammo manufacturers to go along with it, so they're trying to force acceptance through legislation.

Your first post quotes "Industry Reps", which I'm surprised as I can't find one rep I've talked with that supports it.

Must be some obscure company out there, none of the major makers want anything to do with it.

I have a copy of the Washington state version of this BS. Some pretty strong language. They want this to go into effect on January 2010. By June of 2011, you musy have all unmarked ammo destroyed. There is also specific language to ban ALL reloading. 18 different states are trying this move. They are all trying to make it a joint effort. If you are caught with unmarked ammo after that, you are now charged as a felon. I personaly talked with State Senetor Pam Roach and she does not think it will fly here. As a side note to think about...The Sarah Brady group is trying to write legislation to ban ALL private firearms sales in the entire US and ban ALL gun shows. The anti's just want stop until this country is disarmed..

Quate..... {Three Seattle Guys Want to Bar-Code Bullets}
"system that uses laser technology to imprint coding on ammunition with the hope of making it easier for cops to track it back to its shooter."

hmmm, so now I start casting my own.. Casting lead is still cheap! and is need be start making custom 'sabot' rounds or go back to 'paper patch'. Can you jacket your own rounds? Might have to look into thats one. And if you buy this ammo "BAR-CODED" how do they track to you? do you have to sign for it when you buy it? what if you use cash and not credit or debit cards?

And another thought, how do they think it will work for a shotgun shells.

I have a Code for them,,, (( ID10TS ))

probably wouldn't be very hard to remove serial numbers like criminals do on everything else. Or they just get smart finally and pick up their brass

As I mentioned in another post..I talked with State Representative Jaime Herrera...She opposes this bill...Now would be a good time to contact your Representative and voice your concern over this proposed legislation...

Wheeler44

If this passes, all this will do is cause honest people to break the law, which I wouldn't blame them.

Everyone will keep quiet about the ammo they have, and only buy & sell to others they know.

Even a lot of LE's will do the same thing....

Hey folks...This subject has been beat to death on just about all the more popular Gun Forums.

This really is an old issue but, it seems to come up about once or twice a month as a new deal.

Most of what you hear is either rumor, speculation or just plain bull. Some of what you hear does have some legitimate basis...but, for the most part, reality is distorted.

There was a person on another forum just yesterday that said, "It's a done deal..." regarding ammo serialization in California. I did some checking and found that it was just more "Chicken Little" stuff.

That's not to say any type of proposed legislation that may affect gun rights shouldn't be watched, and reported, but let's make sure we have the correct current information. And, more important, the time line.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top