JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While in the army , we used to keep loaded magazines in all different environments...and the brass got tarnished...
It really didn't cause any issues.
I am sure that your living quarters are much more weather proof than places that I have been deployed to....:D
Andy

My handloads that I've used Hornady One Shot case lube on resist tarnish really well. Many tumble cleaner guys use a wax of one form or another in their process, I'd imagine that works well too.
You could probably get some aerosol car type wax and mist a towel with it and tumble the factory loads around in it and get good results too.

You can give them a quick rub down with some aluminum polish ( i like mothers) and it will remove any tarnish and brighten them right back up, just takes a few seconds ea.

Tarnishing can be caused by many things like handling with oily/salty fingers. Moisture and age are the most common. Most high end defensive ammo is sealed at the primer and sometimes the bullet. If your ammo is not sealed, you may want to take some out to the range to make sure that they will still fire and accurately. I had some .380 ammo for a long time and went to shoot it and hit the target next to the one that I was shooting at. The holes were all over the place. Not tarnished. Each round sounded a little differently than the last. Probable moisture in primer and/or powder.

Most shooters rotate their defensive ammo. Shoot the old stuff at the range and replace will fresh ammo.

Thanks. I was just curious about feed issues.
Tarnishing can be caused by many things like handling with oily/salty fingers. Moisture and age are the most common. Most high end defensive ammo is sealed at the primer and sometimes the bullet. If your ammo is not sealed, you may want to take some out to the range to make sure that they will still fire and accurately. I had some .380 ammo for a long time and went to shoot it and hit the target next to the one that I was shooting at. The holes were all over the place. Not tarnished. Each round sounded a little differently than the last. Probable moisture in primer and/or powder.

Most shooters rotate their defensive ammo. Shoot the old stuff at the range and replace will fresh ammo.
Exactly what I was thinking about going out and shooting the older stuff. My SD ammo right now Hornady Critical Defense. Would like to try some Federal HST 9mm.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top