JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I forgot about shotguns too. There's a list of what I thought up -
Ammo-
.45acp - 1000
.357mag - 1000
.223 - 2500
.308 - 750
.22 - 1000
.410 - 250
12ga - 500 Buck
200 Bird
50 Slug

Guns-
Kimber 1911
DW .357
NEF .308
AR-15
NEF .410
Rem. 870

i am in no way an expert on anything survial, but in regards to you shotgun ammo, 500rds of buck is awesome but i would think for getting food, bird shot would be worth as much if not more than .22? By your break down it looks like your planning an assault not a retreat:s0131:

HT-

he is far from planning an assualt. He is just getting started (moderation is key but get what you can afford). If I posted my numbers you would think I was arming an outfit to over throw a 3rd world country.

+1 on more birdshot. Thing I like about .22 over silver, it is so much easier to give 'exact' change. Just my opinion.

SF-

I'm not planning an assualt, just want to be able to defend myself too. Those numbers are what I want to work up to very soon and keep as a minimum. Right now I don't have a bunch of money to spend on ammo either, I want to stay in my budget. My 870 has a short barrel now, I'm looking for a long one too, I plan to use the 410 for food too. I'm a pretty good shot when it comes to bird hunting! Hopefully I will be able to find some bigger game too, like deer or turkeys.

once again i am no expert, but as far as hunting big game... in a world with out electricity? What do you do with the extra meat? I know of a lot of freezers full of big game that won't be anything but coyote bait if "shtf". For newly harvested game, that is a lot of effort to expend. Stalking, tracking after the shot, dressing, and the most fun part packing it back to camp. If all you are really going to get are 2 days worth of meat before it spoils? DEPENDING ON YOUR AREA, In my area game birds are very prominent, and humane kills kinda go out the window when its a survival situation, so i will flock shoot. there i said it i'm not proud.:D It would be alot easier in my mind to go pond shoot a couple of ducks in the morning and be set for lunch and dinner, then do the same the next day. Same for turkeys or what have you.

the thing that raised a flag for me was the amount of 223, Its not very effect for deer, and in total you have 5050 defensive rounds vs. 2200 hunting rounds.

From the light browsing i do of this section of the forum i've noticed two schools of thought, get out of town and away from everything. Where you encounters with other people would be rare and i personally would want my ammo distribution to be the exact opposite. The other plan is to stay home and defend you stuff, in which i would agree with the ammo your looking at. you need to add some sort of uber urban warfare tactical sniper rifle.

Just my thoughts and they're probably wrong.
i'm really just jealous i don't have that much ammo myself......i have 18 birdshot rounds right now btw.:D

If I posted my numbers you would think I was arming an outfit to over throw a 3rd world country.

The 'lady' at the Damascus Bi-Mart keeps asking me this everytime I buy ammo... "you again???? Why do you need so much ammo, are you starting a war???"

Umm - I've spent a few $k with you this year, how about you don't make fun of me? Kthxbye....

once again i am no expert, but as far as hunting big game... in a world with out electricity? What do you do with the extra meat? I know of a lot of freezers full of big game that won't be anything but coyote bait if "shtf". -snip-

OK, just for fun, what did the pioneers, settlers, folks in the colonies etc. do with their kills? We've had electricity widely available for less than 100 years. Freezers? Maybe for 50 years most homes have had a separate freezer??

So if "The Little House On The Prairie" could "put by" meat, and if they could do it in old Europe before even the colonies, why can't we?

How much salt do we own? It's dirt cheap. Do we know how to make jerky? Do we know how to "salt down" meat in a crock, or in our case a food bucket? Do we know how to cobble together a smoker and hang the meat?

If not, why not?

Threadjack and just "food" for thought.

Carry on about ammo.... :s0155:

-------------------

My ammo is focus very little on small birds. We have ducks but I can pond shoot them with a 22. We have turkeys and ditto or .223. We have deer and I'd grab something bigger but almost anything will do.

My main stash is defense, because that's the ammo that's expensive and larger to store. I can kill almost any game (around here and may vary somewhere else) with a 22 or an AR, I believe.

So the AR's, the 22's, the defensive shotguns and the handguns get the most ammo.

I bought some of those Remington Sabot slugs for my rifled 12 ga deer gun from Coctailer, and they test out great. That's my deer caliber, and a good defensive caliber up to 200 yds. Got to get more.

The truth is, if I had plenty of 223/5.56, .22lr, 00 buck and .40 S&W I'd get by fine.

$.02

So without a plan man has no idea what he needs. Proper planning will help you set up your resources and not waste them. "What do I need" should be replaced with "what am I getting ready for exactly"? Take baby steps to meet your goals and increase your knowledge of what to expect.

Get the mind right and you won't have to ask the questions as to what you need, you will just know.

j

OK, just for fun, what did the pioneers, settlers, folks in the colonies etc. do with their kills? We've had electricity widely available for less than 100 years. Freezers? Maybe for 50 years most homes have had a separate freezer??

So if "The Little House On The Prairie" could "put by" meat, and if they could do it in old Europe before even the colonies, why can't we?

How much salt do we own? It's dirt cheap. Do we know how to make jerky? Do we know how to "salt down" meat in a crock, or in our case a food bucket? Do we know how to cobble together a smoker and hang the meat?

If not, why not?

Threadjack and just "food" for thought.

good point, salting and jerky! I told you i was no expert!

on a side note you'd be surprised with turkey and a 22. I witnessed... and was not impressed about the entire situation, a guy put 3 .22 and 2 .17hmr rounds in a bird to no avail.

my current ammo stash is :

400rd .38spl fml
100rds .38spl gdhp
300rds 9mm fmj
120rds 9mm hyrdashock
300rds .40sw fmj
70rds .40sw hydra
250rds .45acp fmj
20rds .45 gdhp
100rds .22lr
50rds. 12g 00
18rds 12g 7.5

for
a total of 8 pistols and 2 shotguns
so i'm going to have to a, lead the assault or b. go shopping

So without a plan man has no idea what he needs. Proper planning will help you set up your resources and not waste them. "What do I need" should be replaced with "what am I getting ready for exactly"? Take baby steps to meet your goals and increase your knowledge of what to expect.

Get the mind right and you won't have to ask the questions as to what you need, you will just know.

j

+1

Plans are like arm pits, everybody has one even if they don't know it (planning to not make a plan is still a plan). You should only share your plan with people who need to see it and don't worry everybody's plan starts to stink under a little pressure, so no yours isn't going to be perfect. Just need to understand your plan should be 80% of what you want, because the time spent on the last 20% is going to consume 80% of your time. Plan on that last 20% for human error. I can't begin to calculate how many hours my life has been wasted because the human factor forgot something like... a set of keys that opens the motor pool for us to draw vehicles. Every plan will fail so your greatest strength should be flexibility.

SF-

"Every plan will fail so your greatest strength should be flexibility."

Flexability comes with being organized to take advantage of the right resources when you need them and have them for that moment.

jj

Knowledge can often trump resources although having both is obviously best.

The time to learn and to plan is when you don't need to. Example - if the SHTF the internet will go down. Plan on it. It's wired and it takes a lot of power and a lot of maintenance. Before it can bounce off a satellite even, it must be first wired and powered.

Today I can google and even print anything I want to know about anything, almost literally.

Today and every day that I think of something is the day to print out things I won't remember later such as a recipe/instructions for jerking and salting down and smoking meat. Now the knowledge is on paper and with any luck will be available if I ever need it.

I'm working on it.

$.02

For me, it would be 7.62x39 for my sks, 22Lr for one of the pistols and the 10/22 and 9mm luger for the hi-power.

I currently have 1000 rds of 7.62, 500 rds of 9mm and about 15,000 rds of 22LR.

If I was to 'bug out', can't imagine not bringing all the guns. Shotgun for birds, remington 06 for game, etc. I would essentially need to arm at least 3 individuals(my wife and son too), so I could find a home for everything.

I need more 12 ga ammo--only have about 100 bird shot, 20 00buck and 20 slugs.

Need more 06 and 30-30 too---only have about 100 each right now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top