JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If the SHTF, what kind of ammo would be best? How much do you keep on hand? Will regular cheap ball ammo be good enough or do you need good hunting or match ammo for rifles and hollow points for handguns? I don't have a huge collection of guns but I'm trying to get setup with what I need. I want to get a thousand .45acp, a thousand .357mag, 750 .308 and 2500 .223. I have about a thousand .22 already. Does this should like enough?

I forgot about shotguns too. There's a list of what I thought up -
Ammo-
.45acp - 1000
.357mag - 1000
.223 - 2500
.308 - 750
.22 - 1000
.410 - 250
12ga - 500 Buck
200 Bird
50 Slug

Guns-
Kimber 1911
DW .357
NEF .308
AR-15
NEF .410
Rem. 870

Bump the .22 up up up.
There was a good thread by someone here asking about 10/22s and stock piling .22 rifles and ammo to trade if SHTF, .22 would be currency more than paper or gold.
I pick up a brick or two everytime I'm in a store that has it (which hasn't been alot recently) its 20bucks I don't miss when I'm already shopping for a bunch of other stuff

+1 on the .22LR

Handguns are a sidearm you use to cover your butt if your primary weapon goes down so it seems you have good supply there. Sine your .308 is a NEF (I am assuming New England Firearm single shot) I am thinking you are not to bad there either. Your .223 is to feed your AR-15 so I am, again, assuming your AR is your primary 'Battle Rifle' so I would purchase more. Me, I guess I have a disease because I like to have plenty for me, my family, a few friends and then a little to barter or train with. But that is me.

I have the philosophy that ammo (most common calibers) are just as good as gold or silver in a real bad situation. Besides we are now finally coming down in prices (in my area at least) so if another ammo shortage were to happen your 'stash' jumps in value over night. So by all means get what you can afford realistically.

SF-

+1 on the .22lr

handguns are a sidearm you use to cover your butt if your primary weapon goes down so it seems you have good supply there. Sine your .308 is a nef (i am assuming new england firearm single shot) i am thinking you are not to bad there either. Your .223 is to feed your ar-15 so i am, again, assuming your ar is your primary 'battle rifle' so i would purchase more. Me, i guess i have a disease because i like to have plenty for me, my family, a few friends and then a little to barter or train with. But that is me.

I have the philosophy that ammo (most common calibers) are just as good as gold or silver in a real bad situation. Besides we are now finally coming down in prices (in my area at least) so if another ammo shortage were to happen your 'stash' jumps in value over night. So by all means get what you can afford realistically.

Sf-

+1000....

If the SHTF, and you have to be on the move you're probably going to be able to only carry 1 long gun and a handgun or 2 if you're very lucky.

How much ammo can 1 person carry?
For me, I have packed in my bug out bag just .22LR (1000), 9mm (400 JHP and 300 FMJ) and 50 x 12Gauge 00 buck and slug. On top of this I always have two 33rd Glock mags in my truck, and an air rifle with 500 pellets - these will kill rabbits, squirrels or turkeys about 40 yards away, almost silently. My SHTF long gun is my Mossberg 590.

Obviously if I time to load up my truck in a SHTF, everything goes in the back - all the firearms and all the ammo.

Personally I'm not stock piling ammo for SHTF - I do have a minimum threshold that I don't go below, but I stock pile in order to be able to shoot more often and get more proficient.

and for those who like pictures....

actually I haven't bought any ammo since before Obama was elected :)

It used to be cheap back when I got it - I think it was under $16 per 100 when I got those 9mm 100 round boxes.
I started with about 2500 and am down to about 1000 now.

Well looks like I will pick up some more 22 ammo. I don't have the 308 or AR yet, and I'm getting the 357 on tuesday. I figure right now, with money the way it is, I'm trying to get a few guns that will do what I need to do if or when SHTF and spend the rest on ammo and other things. I'm saving for the AR and may get the 308 tuesday also. These are the guns and ammo that me and my close family will be using, plus what they have, which is quite a bit. I figure I can hunt with both the AR and the 308 for deer and larger stuff, use the 22 for small stuff, and the Shotguns for birds. Plus use them all for Protection too. I'm trying to stick with common calibers too so I can hopefully get some ammo from the enemy too!

It's all pretty and acedemic.. Ammo cans full, are quick to grab, don't need the boxes and debris other than for fire material.
The more the merrier, however, a defendable site, with provisions and reloading supplies is my preference. If/when SHTF happens, who really knows what IT might look like, or really what might be possible. Several moments, days, or whatever latter, a good view or what is possible, could make everything change.
Being prepared, means to me, being able, willing, and adaptable.
Peace be with us all, Happy New Year..

ammo1.jpg

I agree happyroman, I plan to keep it all in ammo cans, ready to go, handgun in one can, shotgun in another, and rifle in another. These ammo numbers are what I want to have on hand, in storage. I will buy more for shooting/practice when I plan to go do that. I had a bunch stock piled and shot it all up and wish I didn't now. When I get the AR, I'm going to buy lots of mags and have them loaded in the cans, same with my 1911, I'm stocking up on mags for it and am going to keep them loaded in the cans. I figure I only need two or three mags for everyday use. I'm thinking about putting shotgun, 308, and 357 ammo on Bandoliers so they are easy to grab in bulk. Grab the 870 and two 55rd bandoliers and go with it.

I keep all my magazines loaded all the time.
I have moved most of the ammo into cans - but that's more for ease of stacking and keeping it together.

For my emergency supply that is always in my truck, I have my 9mm in 50 round neoprene zipper pouches. I got them when I bought a bunch of web cameras for a medical office. they work well as they squish to whatever shape and are easy to put in a pocket or pack.

For 12 gauge I have a couple belts that hold 25 shells each

Army-Navy in white city has 48-round belts for, I /think/ cheaper then that, been a while since I looked, bought two back in the day.

...and I seriously need to stock up more.

But, where I lack in ammo, I make up in building and creativity.

First pic's a rack I built, off a design from a website, modified slightly, can hold 4 rifles ready to grab, with spots for their respective ammo behind them in a pinch. can modify future racks to hold 1, 2, 5, 10 rifles if i wanted.

and I'm weird and like color coding, which I did for ammo boxes:
red - rifle
green - shotgun (also first aid kits scattered through the house, with reflective tape on em.)
blue - handgun
brown - utility (batteries, flares, etc.)

last one i just picked up, haven't picked yet.

I say again, i need more ammo haha.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top