JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello:
I would not ever consider vacumn packing ammo for storage .
When u vac out all the air it can and has also sucked out the oxygen in the loaded ammos powder chg thus no oxygen and no bang but rather duds .
I spose you could try putting the oxygen back into the cases by pressure but ill just take the advice of another that vac packing his 22lr ammo ruined the ammo and wasnt the best storage practice .
At least that was his experience with vac packing his ammo.
Soooo ????
Head Shot
That is not how it works. Ever seen a "power Head Spear gun"?

I use a few of the Eva-Dry I bought from Amazon. When they need to be charged you just plug them in for a day or so and back they go. Seem to work great and beat the old way I used to use. Had the ones you had to put in the oven for a few hours.

I have been using the silica packets that turn colors for a few months and I need to "recharge" them in an oven. Did you notice if they regained their original color and absorption ability when you did this process?

Believe me it burned my butt good at the time, even when ammo was cheap. Had a couple hang fires, felt almost like shooting a flint lock. Couple would not go off at all, and a couple that sounded really strange. Not wanting to end up with a squib or worse I just tossed a few hundred rounds. Never bought any more of it either. It is the only time I have ever had or even seen that with factory US made ammo.
I completely understand, hang-fires are some bad juju. May that ammo shoot targets in the afterlife.

I have been using the silica packets that turn colors for a few months and I need to "recharge" them in an oven. Did you notice if they regained their original color and absorption ability when you did this process?
Mine did. Originally bought from Midway over a couple decades back. Came in a cardboard box with little window at the bottom that had 3 circles. when they turned it was time to bake. Stuff was in a cloth bag you took out and baked. Put it back the the little dots would turn blue again. Used it for at least 15 years. Only reason I finally switched was saw one of the plug in ones and tried. Worked well so I bought a few more. Keep 2 in each safe. They take a lot longer to re-charge. Some times an entire day and or night but, since they are just plugged in no matter to me. Not to mention do not have to run the oven when its hot in the house :)

I just realized that most of you live where there is actually moisture in the air. I live on the dry side and don't deal with humidity very much.

That may be why loose ammo in ammo cans fairs better over here. So plan accordingly.

I just realized that most of you live where there is actually moisture in the air. I live on the dry side and don't deal with humidity very much.

That may be why loose ammo in ammo cans fairs better over here. So plan accordingly.

This time of year, even with the nice weather, I get 99% humidity in the morning on my weather sensor system. We have fog too.

I can remember a posting on another forum a while back......where a guy had placed ammo (or primers) into airtight containers with silica gel packs.

After some years.....he tried to use it. And well, it didn't work anymore.

He speculated that the air in the container was possibly, "sucked dry".

So.....
Maybe, "some" amount of moisture might just be a good thing?

Rrrrright......
All things in moderation.:s0092:

IMHO......
Cool and Dry is GTG.

Aloha, Mark

Air is not needed for ammo to work - gunpowder has its own oxidizer. Also, moisture is harmful, even for smokeless. Ammo will function in a vacuum and underwater if it is sealed well (mil spec ammo is typically sealed at both ends).

Now that I'm stocked up on 50 and 30 cal ammo cans....

What is the best way to store ammo in these cans?

Loose?
Bagged?
Vacume Bagged?
In original boxes?

I know that's it a loaded question, but... I always seem to be short on room theses days. Plus with resell values constantly going up. Loose vs boxed, etc.

-Matthew

I have used REPACKBOX - Ammunition Packaging Supplies and Other Cool Stuff... for 9mm, .40, 5.56, and .308. These folks are awesome! The can supply you with any and all your packagingneeds.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top