JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now that I'm stocked up on 50 and 30 cal ammo cans....

What is the best way to store ammo in these cans?

Loose?
Bagged?
Vacume Bagged?
In original boxes?

I know that's it a loaded question, but... I always seem to be short on room theses days. Plus with resell values constantly going up. Loose vs boxed, etc.

-Matthew

I have some that are in the original packaging (easier to "meter out" if going shooting) and since I've also bought in bulk quantities those are loose in their plastic inside the ammo can.

If you have ammo that is still in factory boxes, by all means leave it that way. If you should have to sell some in the future, it has more value in original boxes. Although these days are not normal. People will buy just about anything out there. But leave it in the boxes.

I have many bulk boxes that I emptied into ammo cans, however I always cut or tear off the identifying info and place it in the can with the ammo. Then I write on the outside of the can what is in it.

I used to often dump ammo out of the boxes into containers. Then I ran into a problem one day with some of that Win USA stuff. Scary kind of problems to the point I was not going to fire any more. Now the problem was I had more at home, still in box but no way to know if it was the same lot#. So just tossed all of it. So now I keep the stuff in the original boxes. Since I buy often by the case and grab it here and there. So now if I run into a problem again I at least can see lot #'s
Now also some are seeing the amazing price some ammo is going to. So if anyone thinks they may want to cash in and sell some it will of course be FAR better to have it in original.

I used to often dump ammo out of the boxes into containers. Then I ran into a problem one day with some of that Win USA stuff. Scary kind of problems to the point I was not going to fire any more. Now the problem was I had more at home, still in box but no way to know if it was the same lot#. So just tossed all of it. So now I keep the stuff in the original boxes. Since I buy often by the case and grab it here and there. So now if I run into a problem again I at least can see lot #'s
Now also some are seeing the amazing price some ammo is going to. So if anyone thinks they may want to cash in and sell some it will of course be FAR better to have it in original.
How DARE you throw away ammo! :mad: Some of us ammo-sexual like to cop a feel on unwanted ammo. ;):D

I have seen loose ammo corrode and spread that corrosion to other ammo it comes into contact with, so as much as possible I keep ammo in the original boxes. As long as the boxes don't get wet, then it is usually ok. Ideally ammo could be kept in aftermarket plastic boxes but those usually cost about $1 per box, adding to the expense of the ammo, and the time moving the ammo from the manufacturer's box to the aftermarket box.

Today I put some ammo in metal cans. Since the cans from Costco come with the .30 can wrapped in bubble wrap, I used that bubble wrap to line/wrap the ammo I put in some of the cans, then, where possible I taped the bubble wrap closed.

Even better would be to vacuum seal most of the ammo boxes, then put that into the ammo cans. That just now occurred to me that I had planned to do that some time ago and forgot about it.

For those that like to throw a bunch of the "same kinds of ammo" into one can.

Consider for a moment.......
A recall occurs.

Rrrright......

Lot numbers matter.

OR.....I'll just send back the entire can full of ammo.....for "fresh ammo". Cough, cough....

Aloha, Mark

With folks keeping the original boxes, what do folks recommend to keep moisture down? I looked on Amazon for desiccant. Lots of bad reviews.

For those that like to throw a bunch of the "same kinds of ammo" into one can.

Consider for a moment.......
A recall occurs.

Rrrright......

Lot numbers matter.

OR.....I'll just send back the entire can full of ammo.....for "fresh ammo". Cough, cough....

Aloha, Mark

Only large bulk boxes go in the ammo can loose.

If a recall occurs - pull the boolits, dump the powder, tumble the brass and reload with good super awesome powder.

Rinse and repeat.

Original packaging is better IMO.

If you store the ammo indoors in a climate controlled condition, that ammo should last for several decades.

How DARE you throw away ammo! :mad: Some of us ammo-sexual like to cop a feel on unwanted ammo. ;):D
Believe me it burned my butt good at the time, even when ammo was cheap. Had a couple hang fires, felt almost like shooting a flint lock. Couple would not go off at all, and a couple that sounded really strange. Not wanting to end up with a squib or worse I just tossed a few hundred rounds. Never bought any more of it either. It is the only time I have ever had or even seen that with factory US made ammo.

With folks keeping the original boxes, what do folks recommend to keep moisture down? I looked on Amazon for desiccant. Lots of bad reviews.
I use a few of the Eva-Dry I bought from Amazon. When they need to be charged you just plug them in for a day or so and back they go. Seem to work great and beat the old way I used to use. Had the ones you had to put in the oven for a few hours.

Hello:
I would not ever consider vacumn packing ammo for storage .
When u vac out all the air it can and has also sucked out the oxygen in the loaded ammos powder chg thus no oxygen and no bang but rather duds .
I spose you could try putting the oxygen back into the cases by pressure but ill just take the advice of another that vac packing his 22lr ammo ruined the ammo and wasnt the best storage practice .
At least that was his experience with vac packing his ammo.
Soooo ????
Head Shot

Hello:
I would not ever consider vacumn packing ammo for storage .
When u vac out all the air it can and has also sucked out the oxygen in the loaded ammos powder chg thus no oxygen and no bang but rather duds .
I spose you could try putting the oxygen back into the cases by pressure but ill just take the advice of another that vac packing his 22lr ammo ruined the ammo and wasnt the best storage practice .
At least that was his experience with vac packing his ammo.
Soooo ????
Head Shot

Both smokeless and black powder carries its own oxidizer and will burn without the presence of ambient oxygen - either underwater or in a vacuum (of course, you don't want to get powder wet, especially black powder, but gun powder will burn without external oxygen).

However, apparently anything that produces a gas does burn significantly different in a vacuum, but it is isn't due to the lack of oxygen - it is due to the effect of ambient pressure on the burn rate. I suppose it is possible that for rimfire ammo which is not sealed very well (compared to centerfire ammo - especially mil-spec) could maybe have a vacuum inside the cartridge itself and because of the small amount of powder and low pressure it operates at, that rimfire ammo stored in a vacuum would maybe experience problems.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top