JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found this idea online (google ammo can storage shelf) and customized it for my needs. I thought I would share this as it is fun, easy and cheap to do. I used basic tools such as a power miter saw, skill saw, hammer, tape measure, speed square, finish nail punch and a putty knife. It is made from 2x4's, pine boards and a 5mm underlayment backing (all bought at Home Depot). I am planning on putting cabinet doors on the front soon. It will hold 4 of the ammo cans shown across each shelf. I guess i need to get some more ammo cans! Anybody else have ammo storage shelfs/ cabinet projects that they would like to share?

photo36.jpg

146201[/ATTACH]'] photo38.jpg

146203[/ATTACH]'] photo40.jpg

146205[/ATTACH]'] photo42.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great.

I am lazy and untalented at such things so I got the gray plastic honeycomb shelving at Home Depot. It can hold about a third the weight of metal shelving which isn't bad. Avoid the black shelving. It is too wimpy for the weight of ammo.

Put heavy stuff toward the supports on the outside and light stuff in the center.

No comparison to your nice wood shelves in terms of looks or quality though. If you ever make those for others I'd be interested. Especially if it can hold the weight of 12 full ammo cans.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100006...d=10051&N=5yc1vZc2mm&R=100006678#.USlcY2c6ogo

Good job. I'm not brave enough to put my full ammo cans on anything other than the floor under my reloading bench. A 50 cal ammo can full of 45ACP is fookin' heavy!!!

But this may serve as an inspiration for me to get off my duff and make something like this with my band saw and arc welder.

Good job. I'm not brave enough to put my full ammo cans on anything other than the floor under my reloading bench. A 50 cal ammo can full of 45ACP is fookin' heavy!!!

My wife said this to me too. Then I pointed out that there was no problem with the old Waterbed. Want to talk heavy?

This storage cabinet looks great. Got just the place in my garage for it. I'll be able to take at least 4-5 fully loaded 50 cal boxes out from under the rear seat in my truck. :cool::cool:

It is cool and looks very nice, I guess I just dont understand why. They are meant to be stacked on top of each other in the first place. Second for the same amount of space the shelf takes you could stack cans 5 high vs 3.

I picked up a nice oak file cabinet, took the file rails out & reinforced the bottom of each drawer with 3/4 plywood! It is very strong & the wife likes it because she doesn't have to look at the ammo cans.

My wife has a walk in closet where I dont have to look at her shoes. She let me build my rolling ammo pallet and keep it in my closet so she doesnt have to know how much ammo I'm not letting her look at:)

It is cool and looks very nice, I guess I just dont understand why. They are meant to be stacked on top of each other in the first place. Second for the same amount of space the shelf takes you could stack cans 5 high vs 3.[/

I am going to be storing my ammo in the house where it is warm and dry. The wife is far more understanding with a nice shelf than stacking up ammo cans! Also, I built it because I had some scrap lumber and I needed a project to take a short break from the gun grabbers continued nonsense.

Looks great Tdog!!.....There is something simple and enjoyable about building something w/ your hands. I love simple "organizational" projects. My only suggestion is add some heavy duty casters and make it portable as it will never be located in the "perfect" spot. I wouldn't hesitate one bit to put 12-15 full cans on their as properly assembled wood is so much stronger than most people think.........

Looks really good! Don't forget, once you put the doors on to put a sign on the front that says "old magazines", or "tax law books" to deter looters :)

When I moved last, I hired movers... I put 50 cal ammo cans into cardboard boxes and then stuffed those into milk crates. All of the boxes were marked "books". Funny how they all showed up at my new place without a lot of fuss (except for rabid complaints about weight)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top