Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ammo storage location

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by MarkSBG, Sep 7, 2009.

1. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpg

Hey all,

I have heard people say they don't store it in their safe because in a fire the ammo may ignite and destroy the contents of the safe. This seems fairly unlikely, but what do I know?

Where do you store your ammo?

2. BrianL

BrianL Hermiston Active Member

In ammo boxs next to the safe.

3. dragonsden73

dragonsden73 Salem, Oregun Active Member

I did that until I came home and it was ALL gone....now it has it's OWN safe.

4. Brandon44647

Brandon44647 Portland Member

I keep my ammo in a seperate safe...

5. rl280

rl280 OREGON Member

I store it in the mag, then I shoot it. lol:gun10:

6. UncalledForGabe

UncalledForGabe Aloha Or. Member

I keep my ammo in my safe with the guns. The perks of owning only a few guns and having a huge safe. :D

7. RockKrawler

RockKrawler Gresham Member

Most of mine is stored in my reloading room,just have way too much to store in a safe.
    90% is in ammo cans,the balance in loaded mags with the firearms in the safe.
    RK

8. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

With the price and availability of ammo right now I'm about to throw my rifles in a corner of my closet and keep all my ammo in the safe. :laugh:

9. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

NICE :laugh:

10. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

The hole reason I need a bigger safe. Store it in the safe with my weapons. Use the bigger for the weapons and the smaller for the ammo..

Terry

11. Searcher451

Searcher451 Oregon Member

I picked up a separate safe about a month ago and have the ammo in that now. It opened up a lot of room in the gun safe, which means that I can expand the collection a bit more.

12. bwells

bwells Longview Member

I've got separate 30 cal. cans for my pistol and rifle ammo. One can holds about seven boxes of 300 win. mag. ammo. I sandblasted and powdercoated my cans, and for now they sit on top of a book shelf.

13. RW-Ore

RW-Ore Oregon Well-Known Member

Don't know about the rest of you guys and gals but I got five army surplus ammo cans that are close to full and they are heavy there not in the open if anyone did find them they wouldn't move them far very fast. I got a big gun safe but not much room inside , if you know what I mean.

14. SigOryGunner

SigOryGunner So. Oregon New Member

I keep my ammo in a seperate fireproof/waterproof lock box.

15. BryanO

BryanO W.WA Member

All the mags are loaded up to go shooting, but the surplus stays in the safe. Ammo is heavy, and adds some good weight to my light safe.

16. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

That must be a heck of a book shelf. I only have a tin-can 8 gun safe ($90) from bimart. I think I have all the guns I consider 'critical' at this point. Now I need to buy a good heavy safe for the guns and then the ammo will go in the other. And of course I will then continue to expand my collection.

17. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

Some, in the safe, some on the safe, Most in Hardigg Storm Cases, in case I need to bury it in the back yard or woods.:paranoid:

18. bwells

bwells Longview Member

Not much of a bookshelf, just not much ammo. A dozen or so boxes each for my 300 and 30-30, about 1200 for my 22, about a hundred for my 45, and a 50 cal can full of shotgun shells. Most of it fits in 4 30 cal cans and 1 50.

19. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

That's a great idea. I'd love to have enough ammo to fill up one of those. Do you keep it in the garage? If so how do you keep it dry inside?

20. markw76

markw76 Portland/Moscow on the Willamette Member

I wouldn't keep a large amount in a steel safe. It needs a magazine, designed with a "weak wall" so pressure will not build up. Same goes for powder.