JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Then there is the full on 'Legacy' option. In other words your kids or gkids will be using your property forever.

View attachment 877969

With a whole room for guns, ammo & valuables you can dispense with the rest.

As long as the room has no windows/etc.

Some people have walk in closets without windows. I happen to have a walkin closet in the master suite that is not exposed via an exterior wall. Indeed, it would take some doing. to get into, but would be possible with a chainsaw (not an unusual sound here either).

A commercial grade, battery operated drill and Sawsall will get through most residential walls, exterior included.

They are quieter than a chain saw as well.

Agreed. But I don't have a Sawsall. If someone broke into my shop to get tools, they would find a chainsaw and a circular saw and pry bars and chopping mauls (indeed, they would find those outdoors) and other tools, but not a Sawsall. Not sure why someone would break into my house armed with tools to cut into walls, but if they found a locked door, that they could not force open, they would be tempted to go out to the shop to see if they could find tools to break into that closet - assuming that is where my guns are (which they are not - just saying).

I'm not saying they would want to break into your house, just that there are quieter and actually better options to cut through walls than a chainsaw.

Over the years I've seen two examples of where people had hardened doors on a "gun room" (one a vault door, the other a very stout commercial grade exterior fire door) and the punks simply Sawsall'ed their way into the room by cutting through the wall right next to the door.

Just drill a hole large enough to fit the recip saw blade and then start cutting.

I've demoed (and then remodeled) a ton of homes just this way.

I'm not saying they would want to break into your house, just that there are quieter and actually better options to cut through walls than a chainsaw.

Over the years I've seen two examples of where people had hardened doors on a "gun room" (one a vault door, the other a very stout commercial grade exterior fire door) and the punks simply Sawsall'ed their way into the room by cutting through the wall right next to the door.

Just drill a hole large enough to fit the recip saw blade and then start cutting.

I've demoed (and then remodeled) a ton of homes just this way.

Absolutely right.

If I am putting a vault door on a room, it will have an extra thick reinforced concrete walled room with the same in for the floor and ceiling.

Last Edited:
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but it occurred to me that a broken refrigerator that is physically intact, would be a good storage cabinet for ammo.

1) It doesn't look like a storage cabinet of anything valuable.

2) It is insulated and relatively sealed (not completely, but should be good enough IMO), so better in that respect than a simple metal cabinet. In that respect, it is more resistant to fire.

3) If it is a vertical freezer it might have a lock on it.

4) Cheap and maybe even free.

Buddy just built a 30x30 shop with a full basement for guns and ammo.

That is a little above my pay grade so just picked up one of these for $199 at the local BigBox.
Has a really smooth and stout locking system too. Has five shelves including the bottom.

I had a ammo steel cabinet it works ok but only holds so much before the shelves collapse.... I had to pick up 2k rounds as the top shelve gave way and it was a domino effect to the rest of the shelves lol. I kept watching the used market for a cheap safe and made shelves out of 3/4in ply wood.

20210703_214838.jpg 20210704_153726.jpg

I'm looking for an ammo cabinet to store my ammo. The safe is finally too full to keep it in there. What are people using for cabinets. I'm looking at something metal around 3 ft wide and maybe 40 in tall. Preferably on wheels. Any pictures or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Get free metal tall lateral file cabinets on Craigslist.
7B8D3BEF-B16C-4DE6-A92E-4DCA3D7064B9.jpeg

Last Edited:
Get free metal tall lateral file cabinets on Craigslist.
View attachment 1100264
The 4-drawer vertical by HON works great, too!
Got 4 of these free from Hanford's gub'mint surplus office! :)
For planning purposes, each drawer holds 9 ~ 500-round boxes (18,000 rds cabinet total) of 5.56 x 45mm...

Ammo dump.JPG

Last Edited:
That is a LOT of weight per drawer. They handle it OK?
Absolutely! But that's why you have to get a HON or some other really reputable/industrial strength brand of file cabinet. Cheap crap ain't gonna hold up.

Each box of 5.56 weighs about 13-1/2 lbs. I can put 8 boxes in each drawer (each drawer will actually hold 9 boxes, but I don't wanna mess with the Jenga skilz required to get that 9th box in and out of the drawer, and since I have two of these cabinets in service as ammo bins, I have plenty of room). So 8 boxes is about 110 lbs in each drawer. But I don't fill the drawers that full - only a max of 6 boxes per drawer, so that makes for about 80 lbs/drawer, so 4 drawers is about 320 lbs. Call it an even 360 lbs when you add in the weight of the cabinet itself. Figuring the area of the cabinet, my floor loading comes out to about 125 PSF, which is fine for the design floor loading of my home (I have the original construction plans). If you put these on the concrete floor of a garage, you could fill each dawer to the tippy top and have no worries. The drawers aren't going to break or come off the rails - I already tried that.

Since I've relocated the 5,000 rounds of 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 on the top of the cabinet to a second file cabinet, I open only one drawer at a time now. Which is how they're designed to be opened anyway... Safety first! :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads