JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use a cabinet designed to store flammable products. Thinking I should put labels on the outside [thinner, solvents, paint, etc.] at different heights to suggest the contents. Back door reinforced. Saw that video that @rickysays posted several years ago and secured the door release immediately. Don't expect to keep a determined thief out of the house when we're not home, just want to slow them down long enough that the neighbor's call to Police gets a response.

View attachment 859497
Nice garage Sir, I can't remember when my 24 x 30 room was it organized as yours for woodworking. Now mine is a glorified brass prepping area with a dance floor and a booming rack stereo.:D

The biggest issue I've seen is the typical individual shelf weight capacity of a simple metal cabinet is pretty low. So you have to look at commercial cabinets designed for storing heavy things like tooling, chemicals, etc. While not cheap, Durham is a good brand. Have to shop around a bit, and shipping can be really high.

That is why I have my ammo on a HD shelving system meant to hold that kind of weight.

I picked up this HON locking file/shelf cabinet at a thrift store for $35.00 then bought some new keys for it on line.
Has been working out great. Heavy duty.

DSCF0266.JPG

Since the price of ammunition has doubled and tripled I have taken my firearms out of the safe and loaded it up with my ammunition. If ammo prices fall, I may switch them back.o_O

I'm looking for an ammo cabinet to store my ammo. The safe is finally too full to keep it in there. What are people using for cabinets. I'm looking at something metal around 3 ft wide and maybe 40 in tall. Preferably on wheels. Any pictures or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
A standard HON lockable 4-drawer file cabinet that I got free as Hanford surplus works pretty well for me.
For a capacity comparison, each drawer easily holds 4,500 rds of 5.56 x 45 (9 boxes x 500 rds/box).
I could stuff a few hundred more rounds in there, but that would require more Jenga skilz than I want to mess with.
I imagine you could put a dolly under it if you really wanted mobility.

I have since relocated the 5,000 rds in the boxes on top and the 1,700-odd rounds in the ammo cans to another file cabinet in another closet.
The cabinets remain locked and they live behind closed closet doors in my office/study and den. They just look like ordinary file cabinets now.
Very unassuming...

Ammo dump.JPG

Last Edited:
Nobody is concerned about fires?

I think I mentioned that my intention is to wall in my shelving with fire resistant drywall. I have not quite figured out how to put doors in front of the shelving to allow access though.

I think I mentioned that my intention is to wall in my shelving with fire resistant drywall. I have not quite figured out how to put doors in front of the shelving to allow access though.

My bad I must have missed that.

I have a 30 x 30 stacked on top of a 30 x 60 they both lock with slides down the drawers
I'm looking for an ammo cabinet to store my ammo. The safe is finally too full to keep it in there. What are people using for cabinets. I'm looking at something metal around 3 ft wide and maybe 40 in tall. Preferably on wheels. Any pictures or suggestions is greatly appreciated

IMG_0036.JPG

Nobody is concerned about fires?

Yes, but if I'm so unfortunate as to have a hot fire that isn't extinguished quickly then I actually want combustible items to burn without harming fire fighters. While my firearms are in a 2000# safe rated 2 hrs @1200*, the ammo and powders are stored in a vented double walled steel cabinet. And the primers are in a plastic ice chest [not locked] as I want it to blow open without any resistance. Fuel and tools that use fuel are in a separate shed, with double drywall on the interior.

My ammo is in my shop, along with 55+ gallons of gasoline, some diesel, alcohol, mineral spirits and other flammables. The man door facing the driveway has a large (a 16" red diamond) "flammable" sticker on it with the flames icon. Up here, any shop is considered to have flammables inside it and a LOT of houses have 500-1000 pound propane tanks nearby, not to mention 250 gallon gas and diesel tanks for farm equipment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top