JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for an ammo cabinet to store my ammo. The safe is finally too full to keep it in there. What are people using for cabinets. I'm looking at something metal around 3 ft wide and maybe 40 in tall. Preferably on wheels. Any pictures or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I did think of that but I don't like the idea of having to dig down to the bottom to get to something. I like the idea of shelves. I feel like it would be easier to get to what I want.

I like the idea of shelves. I feel like it would be easier to get to what I want.
converted an old cheap Stack On gun cabinet to an ammo locker with simple DIY wood scrap shelf. Lock keeps the kids out and bolted to a wall stud in an obvious place in the garage wastes 10 precious minutes a home thieves time.
0318212234.jpg

I did as Koda suggested with an old inexpensive steel gun cabinet. Subsequently, I purchased one of these with metal shelfs already installed at Cabelas. One in the house, one in the climate controlled garage. Both work fine to keep the ammo a bit more secure and safely stashed away from kids, but wouldn't take a determined thief long to compromise the lock or cut through the metal if they were prepared to do so.

I did as Koda suggested with an old inexpensive steel gun cabinet. Subsequently, I purchased one of these with metal shelfs already installed at Cabelas. One in the house, one in the climate controlled garage. Both work fine to keep the ammo a bit more secure and safely stashed away from kids, but wouldn't take a determined thief long to compromise the lock or cut through the metal if they were prepared to do so.
I liked that one at Cabela's. Catch it when it goes on sale. BiMart also has dedicated ammo cabinets. Last I remember they run around a hundred bucks

I did think of that but I don't like the idea of having to dig down to the bottom to get to something. I like the idea of shelves. I feel like it would be easier to get to what I want.

I got several of those heavy duty shelves from Costco:

122.cropped.jpg

The non-sale price is about $160, sale price is about $130. They go on sale about once a quarter?

Very heavy duty. I would not put a lot of ammo on anything lighter weight. I have about 75K rounds of ammo. Costco also sells their "pallet" shelves which are heavier duty yet - but they are expensive - about $430? The shelving above is adequate for ammo IMO/IME, but if you are truly loading pallets onto shelves then get the pallet shelving.

I am transferring ammo from plastic ammo cans to metal. I found the Plano "cans" to be too lightweight for ammo. MTM are much better, and the USGI surplus cans to be the best. Occasionally Costco has two cans - .50 & .30 size - together for $20. These are black instead of green, but are good quality IMO.

IMO the metal cans are the most protective/durable. I've had experience with them being damaged and they hold up better than the plastic ones. Given the current market value, and the value in a SHTF scenario, I strongly prefer the metal cans.

I would not get cans larger than "fat .50" for hand carried ammo - anything larger is going to be difficult/awkward to move due to size/weight if you have to move it quickly. I do have much larger cans, but they are not for ammo or items of that mass density.

I had to evacuate last year (wildfire) and could not take my ammo as I only had 5 minutes notice. That made me think again about how to store my ammo and making it easier to bug out with the ammo.

Also, I am now thinking of building some fire resistant drywall (Type X/C drywall - https://www.perfection-drywall-painting.com/the-difference-between-type-x-and-c-drywall/ ) around the the outside and top of the shelving I have for ammo, and putting a waterproof layer on the top shelf - making it into a cabinet.

Last Edited:
I did the Stack on cabinet like Kota but put the ammo into ammo cans and stacked the cans up. Worked great!

I just did this. Got it at Lowe's. I still have a bunch of ammo in my main safe still but I have a bunch in this guy and other miscellaneous gun stuff too. I mainly wanted something durable and that locked to keep kids out.

A067892C-002E-4761-88B9-F3ED62D91352.jpeg

Iv'e been thinking about this too. The problem I see is that it's so obvious, as if to say "here it is, Come and get it". I'd like to find something more discreet, or just plane hidden. I'm looking but nothing has jumped out at me yet.

Iv'e been thinking about this too. The problem I see is that it's so obvious, as if to say "here it is, Come and get it". I'd like to find something more discreet, or just plane hidden. I'm looking but nothing has jumped out at me yet.

Easiest way around such I've used in the past is a job box. Put a moving blanket on it. Use as another work counter/simple storage of other items (paper products/linens etc). Job box seemingly "disappears" in plain view.

However now also have decent security systems & live in a lower risk area.

Noted folks don't want to go "digging" for ammo, so are dissuaded from using a job box style. No big deal IMO.

Just organize. Easiest is to use ammocans & label them for frequently used ammunition. Restock them after range trips/charging magazines. Shoot a bunch? Stock charged magazines in cans (what we do). Etc.

If you're storing the ammo in your garage, be sure to secure your garage door. Most of them are super easy to unlock.

I've secured the emergency release from my garage door and also installed a second manual latch on the side, which I manually close each night and certainly when I'm away.

I knew there was a reason I've never liked windows on a garage door!

If you're storing the ammo in your garage, be sure to secure your garage door. Most of them are super easy to unlock.
I've secured the emergency release from my garage door and also installed a second manual latch on the side, which I manually close each night and certainly when I'm away.

I would think a job box as equal of a target for thieves as an ammo cabinet. Though disguising either has good merit. A stack on or similar cabinet can be made to look like a household cleaner storage by labeling it; draino, bleach etc so locked from kids... paint it grey if needed. I dunno how much difference that will make to someone breaking in but who knows. A job box is probably more secure than a cheap cabinet though but I like that I can bolt a cabinet to the wall.
I think is anyone has a thief in the house they got bigger security issues than losing some ammo, my take is Id rather have them waste time stealing ammo than the guns themselves my guess is theres only so much time an average thief wants to spend inside the home. I mostly just like the convienience of having one place to store ammo, though it doesn't have to be the -only- place... ;)

These are great for ammo storage. They're lockable. They have an opening for a power cord in case you wanted to put a light or Goldenrod inside. And you can add wheels to the bottom which makes them wonderfully movable...although it might also make it easier to steal.

orange-ridgid-jobsite-boxes-48r-os-64_100.jpg

I bought a cheap locker from Walmart, added a few locks for a minute of extra security, made an extra wood shelfs. Also put 2 stick on led lights in there.There's 12 metal ammo boxes stuffed full in there.I need to buy another, I still have 1300 rounds of 12 gauge not locked up. A-holes will have to break into it because they will never pack it out, it's full.they also better be out when me or my girlfriend gets home because we both pack a sig p-938

2BC331BB-2774-4BA2-9804-2C6F58AFBBE9.jpeg 07F71022-F119-49FD-87A4-1800A93D337E.jpeg

Last Edited:
I use a cabinet designed to store flammable products. Thinking I should put labels on the outside [thinner, solvents, paint, etc.] at different heights to suggest the contents. Back door reinforced. Saw that video that @rickysays posted several years ago and secured the door release immediately. Don't expect to keep a determined thief out of the house when we're not home, just want to slow them down long enough that the neighbor's call to Police gets a response.

garage.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads