JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
raindog,
I guess mine was a case of poor timing. I started reloading early this year, during the worst part of the ammo/reloading material scarcity. I ended up payign for a lot of shipping and hazmat fees, buying a lot more consumables that I would have otherwise. Wasted money on several jugs of Hercules RL15 (over 10 years old) that performs quite differently to Alliant RL15 because that's all I could get my hands on for 3 months.

Wasn't pretty. So, I guess, under normal conditions, I would have spent close to what you listed here.

P.S. Is anyone interested in a handful of Hercules RL15 jugs (new old lots). Priced to sell fast. :D

OK, here's my entire reloading setup, priced. Most of it was bought online, some at Bi-Mart. These prices are pretty close to what I paid.

Lee Challenger Press $50
Lee Challenger Press Quick-Change Bushings $7.50
Lee Lube $3.09 (consumable but it lasts a long time)
Lee case trimmer (cutter & lock stud) $5
Lee chamfer tool $2.80
Lee zip trim $19
Frankfort Arsenal bullet puller $15
Lee primer pocket brush $12
RCBS swaging kit $24
Lee primer pocket cleaner $2
Lee decapper and base (for .30) $5.40
Lyman reloading manual - I think this was about $30, had it a while
A couple RCBS trays, $8 each I think
RCBS lube pad - $8 I think
RCBS electronic scale $105
Lyman electronic digital calipers $43
RCBS hand primer $32
A couple shell holder sizes for same, I think they were $3.50 each

So that is $387. Add $20 for shipping to make it $407. Keep in mind that an electronic scale and electronic calipers are more expensive than perfectly serviceable analog models.

Now for each caliber, add about $29 for a Lee deluxe or pacesetter die set, and another $5.50 for the case gauge. So $35 for each caliber. At the moment, I'm only reloading for .308.

Total investment: $407 + $35 = $442. I can't think of anything else I spent money on. I think you could easily trim $100 off that if you went with an analog caliper, an analog scale (or skip it in favor of Lee's volumetric measures), and some of the other things - e.g., the military swager, etc.

But in my case, let's say the fixed gear is $442. I also bought a chronograph, which was $90...that is not strictly necessary for reloading, but we'll add it in. $532.

Now, for rounds:

- I happen to have .308 brass
- IMR-4064 is $26/lb, and each pound is good for 160 or so rounds
- Sierra 168gr .30 HPBT Match bullets are $31 or so per hundred
- Primers are $3.50 per hundred

So, cost per round is .16 (powder) + .035 (primer) + .31 (bullet) = $.51. If I bought brass, it'd probably cost me around .30 per round, so if I was buying virgin brass, we'd be up to $.81. These rounds are designed to match Federal Gold Match ammo, which is around $2/round (if not more).

Let's say I amortize the gear over the cost of 10,000 rounds. It should easily last that long, if not much longer (!). $532/10000 = .05 per round.

Anyway, my point was that it doesn't take anything like $2,000 to get stated in reloading. Heck, 40 years ago everyone was using Lee Loaders or Lyman kits, like Mr. Lee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEl9wZyabc

Those kits are $40 and while it looks crude to the guys with the giant Dillon 550s, it certainly is reloading. Here's another site where a guy outlines his method, which is relatively inexpensive:

http://imakeprojects.com/Projects/how-to-reload-rifle-ammunition/

That doesn't mean it isn't easy (or fun) to tie up $2,000 in gear and consumables :)

There's a lot on my list that isn't strictly necessary. Again, I point to the RCBS kit, which is $299 at Bi-Mart. Someone could reload for a long time with that plus $50 in consumables.

OK, yes you can reload that way. You are set up for only one caliber and some of those processes with that equipment are very slow. I don't see a case tumbler or any other case cleaning method. I don't see any media for it either.

I don't see a powder measure which must mean you weigh each charge by hand using a scoop and powder trickler, but I don't see the trickler or a funnel set listed. Lordy, that's slow. :)

You might consider adding this unit <broken link removed> which includes a serviceable powder scale, primer feeders for both sizes, a powder measure/dropper, and 1 turret. Additional turrets are about $10 each on ebay if you want one for each caliber.

It's only $190. Subtract what you paid for your press and bushing and your better powder scale and you're almost here. This thing will crank out 150-200 uniform rounds per hour. That includes punching out the primer, installing a new primer and dropping the measured powder. It includes seating the bullet and crimping it.

Another nice thing is that you can very quickly remove the turret along with the dies and not lose your adjustments.

If you had this and your other accessories, and a way to tumble casings, you could load one caliber. Figure $40 additional for each caliber including a turret and dies. Lee dies come with the shell holder.

Since I can load 10 calibers, that's another $400 so you and I are not that far apart in cost when you add the tumbler and media and a $90 case trimmer.

See why I like this instead of a progressive? It has a center ram which takes the shell holder. It's strong. The dies and powder measure and primer feeder are all that rotate, each coming over the ram (empty casing) in sequence. The progressives hold the shells out on the edges and there is flex in my experience. There is no center ram with them.

s7_216337_imageset_01.jpg

I really like this cleaning unit from Frankford Arsenal. I mean, the part that tumbles out the media into a bucket after the brass is cleaned - the part on the right on the bucket.

frankford6.jpg

After reading many posts in this thread I feel the need to point out that not everybody that reloads is obsessed with making the most perfect bullets. Some of us are much more interested in the saving money on ammunition aspect of it all. I use a Lee Pro 1000 progressive, powder scale, tumbler and separator. It has paid for itself many many many times over. It is capable of making a lot of good ammunition in a short amount of time. No I've never made a magic bullet with it but as i said I don't really care to make a perfect bullet. Good bullets are just fine with me. I know that a bullet doesn't have to make a 1" group at 200 yards to be effective. To each their own though. I just wanted to point out that not all reloaders are about a bunch of very expensive equipment and obsessed with making perfect bullets.

Edit: I did forget to mention that you will need and I have a few more tools like calipers, etc.

After reading many posts in this thread I feel the need to point out that not everybody that reloads is obsessed with making the most perfect bullets. Some of us are much more interested in the saving money on ammunition aspect of it all. I use a Lee Pro 1000 progressive, powder scale, tumbler and separator. It has paid for itself many many many times over. It is capable of making a lot of good ammunition in a short amount of time. No I've never made a magic bullet with it but as i said I don't really care to make a perfect bullet. Good bullets are just fine with me. I know that a bullet doesn't have to make a 1" group at 200 yards to be effective. To each their own though. I just wanted to point out that not all reloaders are about a bunch of very expensive equipment and obsessed with making perfect bullets.

I agree. The only rounds I have tuned are for my hunting rifle (.270) and my Ar-15. The rest I load to factory specs for OAL, etc. I chrono them to be sure they are up to advertised (in the manual) speed though when I get new primers and powder. I've had them run 200 fps slower than expected so that's worth checking the first few.

I'm with you though, it's partly because I enjoy it and partly because it saves a lot of money if you load enough to pay for the equipment. You don't see me with a $700 Dillon press, after all. :)

I was just trying to point out (to any thinking about starting) that it does take a certain investment to at least have the tools to do it safely and properly.

I did like my Lee Pro 1000 like you have, but it won't do rifle cartridges bigger than .223 and that's what pushed me to sell it and get the Classic Turret Press. On the progressives that will do large rifles, I have always felt that they flex some. Maybe not...

$.02

Edit: I did forget to mention that you will need and I have a few more tools like calipers, etc.

I agree, you will save money and you do NOT need super accurate loads. 2-3" @100yds is enough for big game. For pistol just about any combo works.....not rocket science.........:s0155:

I am going to have to disagree with all the folks who say you will save money by rolling your own,it is like an addiction and keeps getting worse,but in the end it does allow you to shoot more and not have to worry if what you need at the last minute is in stock somewhere.
RK

I am going to have to disagree with all the folks who say you will save money by rolling your own,it is like an addiction and keeps getting worse,but in the end it does allow you to shoot more and not have to worry if what you need at the last minute is in stock somewhere.
RK

I agree. I have loaded more than 10k rounds now and have easily paid for my equipment, but I have to kiss off the value of my time.

The other problem is that one tends to become a component hog. Every time I see primers or powder or my favorite bullets or... There goes the budget.

It does and has become an addiction. As an avid loader, repeatitive processes make one better. I have loaded for some 15+ years and made many a thousand rounds a season. It still amazes me when I see the 1&#37; or so that I reject.. I just blast them away the very next time at the range. The Junk is fun to shoot.. The regular ammo shoots as good as any I have ever purchased,. the Junk is much more fun..but that;s just a reloading addict for ya.

For me it became so big and out of control that i had to erect a seperate building in my back yard just to house everything,and it is going to be added onto next spring.
It even has heat and A/C just keep things comfortable year round.
There are a few on here who have seen the "man cave" as my wife so aptly named it.
RK

RK

I save a lot of money reloading. The trick is not to get obsessed and buy every gadget you think will be handy. Keep it simple and you'll save a lot of money. Reloading is not for the occasional shooter though. If you don't shoot much reloading is kind of pointless because you have to crank out some volume just to recoup what you paid in tools.

That said it can be expensive. I don't buy much new brass and I reload it as many times as I feel is safe. Some Brass I have to buy new though because it is an obscure caliber but I reload it more then once.

I'd have to say reloading doesn't save you money when you're constantly chasing that perfect bullet. Typically this will require more and better tools then I have and that's $money$ spent right there. Also most magic bullet makers buy new and special brass, match grade primers and are typically very picky about the powder they use $$$$

Fact is it doesn't have to be expensive. It is the individual that makes it expensive or cheap. Yes there is the trade off, time vs money but at the current price of bullets I'm willing to trade a little of my time to save the money.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top