JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've got a decent amount of ammo. I reload.
question is, do you think we will see supplies back on the shelf ever again? And if so, will the prices be double or triple normal prices?
I've got 7 people in my home and we have started shootings once a week at the range. It's a awesome family deal for us all.

So I've got a decent amount of ammo. I reload.
question is, do you think we will see supplies back on the shelf ever again? And if so, will the prices be double or triple normal prices?
I've got 7 people in my home and we have started shootings once a week at the range. It's a awesome family deal for us all.

This is nothing new.... I seem to recall 2-3 of these "panic buy" cycles. This too shall pass. ;)

And the high-high prices will be the "new normal" from here on out, until it's not.

Does anyone remember just a few years ago, the loud voices swearing that $30 to $40 was the new normal for a brick of the cheapest bulk .22 lr ammo? Does anyone remember paying $15 per brick just a few months ago?

It will be that way again this time too, I expect. Unless... Most of us have that little voice in the back of our mind saying maybe this is it. Maybe it will be different this time, if a certain radical anti-gun party gains full control in Washington D.C., maybe we'll be facing European style restrictions, and European style prices. Ask tac about that, what they pay for ammo and components in the U.K.. We got a reprieve in the last couple years; how long will that last?

Just food for thought. Personally I also think this too shall pass. :)

I remember seeing 9mm ADVERTISED at $1 per round in the local fishwrapper starting shortly after the 2008 election and eventually fading away as time wore on. I say advertised as I have no idea how much (if any) sold at that price.

I too have seen it before and believe it will pass again.

I could be wrong but I think we are experiencing another round of opportunists buying up the ammo and now primers and scalping them. As soon as those paying the double or more prices get tired of it or believe they have enough they will stop buying, when the scalpers stocks start piling up they will lower prices to sell it off and stocks in stores will eventually start to return.

Ok.
Another question. Have you and or anyone else visually seen a brick of 22 on the shelf lately? I'd like to hear a yes or two. Love to get 10 of those soon
Believe it or not, I actually came across some just a couple days ago. I saw two bricks of CI .22lr on the shelf at a pawn shop for $15 each. I know I should have left them for someone who needs them more than I do but I couldn't help it; I bought them.

I do think that was a bit of a fluke though. Like you, I haven't seen any in a while otherwise.

Like Stomper said.
Seen it 2-3 times before.

But unlike those times when it was fear of something happening. [Wrong person being elected].
This time it is fear, along with real things happening.

Here are a couple. You can add more I'm sure.

There is covid to kill you. [You decide on the real meaning of this].
Shortages of food from problems in the supply chain.
And 56 million people loosing their jobs and needing forbearance and other programs just to avoid the abyss.

None of this has ever been a reality before now!

So this will have an affect on gun and ammo prices, and availability in a new way.
And what that will look like I don't know?

But I don't feel it would be much of a stretch to think it will last longer, and produce stupider prices and availibility problems than we have seen in the past.

May even be worse than we can imagine at present?

EDIT: Forgot social unrest.

Last Edited:
I think with all of the political chaos being sown right now.... its not going to stop any time soon.

If Biden wins, it goes into overdrive for a while... if Dems win back Senate and keep the house.... this crap continues indefinitely until the bans happen.

If Trump wins, the amount of political violence and uncertainty will continue to make the shortages a reality for at least a year...

If the chaos intensifies over a disputed election and becomes routinely violent from both sides.... then I think you have what you have, prices go through the roof and availability drops dramatically... depending on the scale of violence, there may even be supply chain disruptions or manufacturing shut down...

I these rioters aren't dealt with it could go on a lot longer. Heck, if they manage to start a real war it could be forever. Seems unlikely today but half the stuff happening now seemed unlikely last year.

I left a literal ton of loaded ammo, primers, powder, bullets, brass, and factory ammo this morning. Very very sad to take what you only need and leave the other stuff behind because of the fire. I'm hoping that our house will be spared but won't know for some time.

I don't think anyone is buying primers and hording them to jack up the price. There just aren't any. I spent a good portion of this morning looking for wholesale primers and was told over and over, no primers at least until after the first of the year. The jacked up price primers are small time peoples closet stock. I think all the major ammo makes are gobbling all the primers to make their ammo and not leaveing any to trickle down to the rest of us.

I spent a good portion of this morning looking for wholesale primers and was told over and over, no primers at least until after the first of the year.
Dammit mister I believe ya!

I'd say the result your morning is pretty revealing of the primer 'issue' right now!

I left a literal ton of loaded ammo, primers, powder, bullets, brass, and factory ammo this morning. Very very sad to take what you only need and leave the other stuff behind because of the fire. I'm hoping that our house will be spared but won't know for some time.
Sorry to hear of your displacement. Will keep you and the family in our prayers. :(

Helena, MT today.... lots of ammo, projectiles, and .22lr. Plenty of powder. No primers. My goodness. My ammo crate full of primers must be very valuable right now. New rules here suppress my opinion or speculation about what the future hold for shooters and reloaders after November.

Ordered 4 boxes of primers online for $65 a box, felt sick doing it, but now you can't find them for less than $100 per box unless you are watching the classifieds like a hawk.

Although on some brighter news (although I'm thread capping a bit) I shot my first batch of 223 reloads ever on Sunday and not only did they all go boom, I got some really good results to build my perfect load off of.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top